Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
reel_break

Default Have a Model A truck all to peices

I`m in NC and just got my hands on a Model A truck, I have the frame, Cab, Parts bed,fenders but its all torn apart and was in a great pile when I got it all, I think its all there but heck I don`t know. Now what? Someone suggested join a club and beg for help.I will post some pics. I think its a 31. Start by sandblasting and painting frame someone said weld one of the plate kits to stifnen it up. Would like to start messing around with it in my spare time. Need some advice.
reel_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Gunmetal blue2

Default Re: Have a Model A truck all to peices

When I was 15 I got my first 1929 Town sedan, all in pcs. Wired body to frame. I was young with no internet or books or pics. on how it went together. I put it back together and drove it. You can do it I did with a hole lot of less information on them. Welcome to the ford barn.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Sunnybrook Farm

How is the motor? You might want to stick the chassis together just to see how things look and what is missing.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
CB919ER

These guys are a wealth of knowledge. I'm new to the model a as well they've put up with me and all my ignorance. Don't be afraid to use that search button if you can't find the answer you need, ask...

Welcome!
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

First, is it a Model A pickup, or is it a AA ton and a half truck?

Yes, join a club and ask the guys questions. Just by looking at the pile, they can tell if something is missing. You can even post pictures of your parts here and people can tell a lot.

There's no need to weld on plates. We treat our vehicles better today, and drive mostly on smooth roads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Big hammer

Wecome to the Barn! Parts catalogs are a wealth of information and most are free! The suppliers have all kinds of books. My question for you what are your plans for your pile of parts? Restore back original, rat rod, or somewhere in between? My 31 tudor started out as a daily driver, then I blew it apart to stop the rust! And going back together I made it too shiny and I wish I had done it more original paint and hardware wise! The weld plates comment sounds like a hot rodders comment, this site is more for original cars and trucks, anyway Wecome and enjoy your truck the way you want it !
Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
RockHillWill

Post pictures and ask questions.

I am willing to help if you care to PM me.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
1930artdeco

Welcome to the club Reel. This is my take on how it should go.

First-like Tom said find out if you a pickup (will have a small bed about 4x8 for plywood) or the 1.5 ton truck (you can almost put a full sized car on the bed). Once that is known, sort out the big pieces and organize: all of the engine parts, all of the tranny, all of the differential etc. That way you will have a good idea of what you have.

Second-research, research, research. Each body style is slightly different in all of the small trim style items. Most of the large items will interchange power train, fenders etc. As you research (here, Les Andrews books, the pick up restoration book, etc.) you will see how things fit together.

Third-spend lots of money-and I mean lots of it, rebuilding every part. Then put her back together and thoroughly enjoy driving her.

Remember, we treat these vehicles better today than they were ever treated when they were new. They are robust and if you have the AA truck are very, very beefy. Also rebuild if at all possible. New parts are often inferior to originals. Hope this helps in some way.

Mike
Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
bobbycoke

Reel Brake....start by thinking what do you want to end up with .....a nice old driver....a hot rod......a Concours D' Elagance truck [then you can go by the handle " REEL Broke"......or just a fun old truck! I would suggest getting Lew Andrew's "MODEL A HANDBOOK" and some of our part suppliers catologs, it would help if you had a buddy with similar interests than dive in........joining a club is an excellant idea you will not have to BEG for help I belonged to three and found they all are very willing to help [ at least they will all have an opinion !!!!] but really help you feel at home.......I found that if you stare at a part long enough it will tell you where it belongs these cars were made out of common sense not binary logic........good luck ....bobbycoke
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
JDupuis

Reel Brake.. Welcome to the barn. Congrats on your new "3D puzzle".
Start by putting it together just the way it is..
You and the truck will form a bond, you'll be glad you put the puzzle together.
The truck will certainly "look" like a million bucks when it's back together.
Good Luck. Jeff
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Benson

Last edited by Benson; 07-31-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
Stretch Cab

Greetings, I gave my daughter and son in law my early 30 Roadster Pickup. They live in Laurinburg, NC which isn't far from you. It is an older restoration but when done originally won senior AACA awards. I'm sure my son in law would be glad to let you see it to use as a pattern if needed.

If interested you can Private Message me.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #13
Ed Wendell

Reel Break,
I got our '29 Town Sedan as a basket case. You will have your work cut out, but if you like to tinker you will have fun. I would start with the frame, before you sand blast, clean it up as best you can then check for sag and make sure it is square. Make any repairs, then sand blast and paint it.
As mentioned above, get Les Addrews book(s) and catalogs: Snyders, Brattons, Berts, Mikes. Pass on Mac's. If you plan to restore it as an original driver then get the Judging Standards and the paint manual.
Oh, and don't throw any parts away until well AFTER you finish. It is amazing what a good Model A person can fix.

Good Luck,
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
700rpm

Join a club. Read at least three good books on the restoration and maintenance of the Model A before you do anything. And don't throw anything away.

Go slowly for a more harmonious outcome.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
Osage Orange

All of the above. I had my first Model A when I was 19, and it was a rolling basket case, so just about where you're at. Take the body off, clean the frame, sandblast it, weld up any breaks and straighten any bends to get it square. From there, get a Model A handbook or any of several books on restoring. Once the rolling chassis is restored, you can do the rest and still drive it. Club members are dedicated to seeing you succeed, so join and learn.
Osage Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
fordcragar

Welcome to the Fordbarn. First thing I would ask is what do you want to do with it? Figure out what your budget is going to be and have fun with it.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote