Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #81
Carbroke

Default Re: 1935-36 pickup restoration book

BUMP!!

Time to bring this up for discussion again.

Jerry and Lawson,

Decided to bump this thread into the present as there are still a bunch of folks who need, want, and desire the valuable information you have collected on these Pickups.

There is next to zero info available on these rigs. Try and find info on body parts, fasteners to assemble them, etc. I dare you!

Screw the Ford Club @$$()^%! and self publish; reap the profits for yourselves. There are a ton of authors who publish on Amazon and kindle w/o a relationship to big national publishing houses. While not having gone through the process myself, I'd bet you could query any of these folks and get a lot of info as to how to do it.

We don't live forever, and one of the best ways of achieving at least a little immortality is to put out a book. Your efforts and time should not end up wasted!

Hell, for the info you have in your hands right now I'd pay $100.00 bucks for right now, today, rough draft and all.

Maybe, if you don't actually publish it, thats a way to progress; sell drafts directly (copyrighted of course) to those who want the information.

It's high time your hard work and sacrifice is made available to the world. Regardless of the Ford Club registry (there's at least ONE 1936 FORD Pickup not reflected in their registry because of the way you have been treated on this), you guys deserve to be recognized for the efforts, time, and money you put into this project.

Time to let it out. Having your estate try to figure out what to do with it is not what you want to happen. At 65 myself, I know that's not what I would want.
Carbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #82
36Bill

I would buy it.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #83
Brendan

so will i
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me and my pickup in tahoe!.jpg (82.7 KB, 20 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #84
Don

I just found one that has never been registered!!!!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #85
KiWinUS

I too would like one.
Thanks
cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #86
Steve in Denver

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Get a price and start taking orders and do a run of 100. Put me down for a copy, Steve Kennedy in Denver. I know another guy in town with a pickup that will probably want one as well.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #87
Dave/Green Bay

I would buy one even though I don't own a pickup , YET Put me on the list.

Last edited by Dave/Green Bay; 03-30-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #88
JM 35 Sedan

I've purchased every restoration book the EFV-8 Club has available, and would have purchased this one as well. It's unfortunate that this effort did not happen, but I am hopeful that someone else will take this project on in the future and make it happen. I've seen some beautiful examples of these vehicles restored to the V-8 Club's Dearborn level at meets I've attended in the last 10 years, so I know the knowledge exists that could make this happen.
In the meantime, I would suggest that anyone who is presently restoring one of these vehicles, seek the information you need from those folks who have already restored one, and received their Dearborn Award. The EFV-8 Club Roster may be your friend for making some of these connections.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-30-2018 at 11:19 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #89
Kerk

LeBaron-Bonney took the interior out for the pattern's from my 35 to get the panel's made Many years ago! My son has the 37 that was used for pattern's as well. He is the 3rd owner and Lee was the 2nd. I hauled the 37 home for him .It is now a driver for my son. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #90
1936 ford pickup

I would Purchase one of these '35-'36 Pickup restoration books as well, as I own a '36 Ford pickup (but am not on the Roster).

Thank you,

Bruce Smith
Modesto, Ca.
1936 ford pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #91
totto

Sign me up one too! Trucks are my thing" and have a "34 PU and '37 dump. We need more info on these Fords; more and more trucks are being restored.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #92
felix 40

I'd buy a book. they are such beautiful trucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010459 (Custom).JPG (116.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1030034 (Custom).JPG (141.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #93
BlacktopScraper

I'm not sure if this was brought up in prior threads of this post, but what about a " Go Fund Me" page for the book? I would gladly donate and buy a copy. My wife owns a '35 pick up truck and I need the resource material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '35 Ford Pick Up.jpg (44.6 KB, 31 views)
BlacktopScraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #94
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktopScraper View Post
I'm not sure if this was brought up in prior threads of this post, but what about a " Go Fund Me" page for the book? I would gladly donate and buy a copy. My wife owns a '35 pick up truck and I need the resource material.
That may work, but you need to see some hard numbers on what it will cost to produce a certain number of books. The big question is how many to print. As a general rule printing small amounts is more costly per book than larger amounts. Color photos automatically raise the cost per book. Also you will pay a desk top publisher to get the book ready for printing. Then there's advertising costs to get the word out to buyers and shipping costs to get the book to the buyers. The last question is how many actual buyers are out there, which has to be factored into the sale price in order to at least make the project break even. Lots of questions to be answered and I may have missed a factor or two that could increase the cost. Those questions should be answered before starting a "Go Fund Me "page. Personally I would pass on contributing until I saw some hard numbers and factors that would tell me that the project would not wind up in the red.
Over time I have seen books printed by the V-8 Club that people just couldn't wait to see come to fruition. Some have sold 400-500 books and then sales slow down to almost zero. They then rest on the shelf collecting dust and the V-8 Club pays storage on them.
I know the V-8 Club Board of Directors took a long hard look at the numbers before they made their decision not to go forward with this book. I'm sure others outside the club have done the math and realized it's a project doomed to go into the red. Now if Mr. Carbroke would volunteer to finance the project I encourage him to go for it.

Here's a thought that benefits the entire V-8 Club. Have Mr.Cox and Mr. Grayson write bi-monthly articles in the V-8 Times concerning these trucks. They can use their gathered material and every member benefits from the knowledge. All they need to do is talk to V-8 Times Editor Jerry Windle about printing the material and the cost is built right into the subscription of the V-8 Times.

Last edited by TJ; 04-01-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #95
DavidG

Tom,

Wise counsel.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #96
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix 40 View Post
I'd buy a book. they are such beautiful trucks
I'll second that! Your '35 is a show stopper, absolutely stunning! I really enjoy seeing it at the Sharon, Wisconsin Model A meet in June.

Take care

Jeff (also own a '36 pickup)

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 04-02-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #97
Jeff/Illinois

Put me down for one too! '35-'36 Ford pickups are kinda like Golden Retrievers, everybody loves 'em!

I just bought a book on the '69 Mach 1 Mustangs, dedicated to just that year of Mach 1. It was just published in 2018, printed in China as most books seem to be today,,,, really enjoy it and it was about 23 bucks with S&H.

I say go ahead and by-pass the EFV-8 Club and print it yourself. By cutting out that middleman they will get their well deserved slap in the face, maybe then they will get the message.

I belonged to them once upon a time but quit them after what they did to Lawson and Jerry. That was uncalled for.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #98
36Bill

I would buy an on line, print it myself version. Even a CD that I could use as a reference. The information is what I need. Lawson and Jerry as well as many others on the Barn help but having it would speed things up.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #99
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktopScraper View Post
Nice pickup! Don't ya just love the '35's and '36's
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #100
Rick1935

I would buy a book
Rick1935 is offline   Reply With Quote