Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #21
Roger W Gerow

Default Re: evap-o-rust

Re "Evans Waterless Coolant". Is it used straight out of the container or is it diluted with water?
Roger W Gerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #22
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger W Gerow View Post
Re "Evans Waterless Coolant". Is it used straight out of the container or is it diluted with water?
It is used straight out of the container, it will only tolerate about 3% water I think, that is why you need to get as much water out of the cooling system as possible before you put it in.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #23
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Here's another great product. - http://www.rust911.com/ and also at
http://www.rust911.com/photo-gallery/

I used this stuff in my '34 with aluminum heads and it did the job....
Evaporust is not a concentrate, it is already diluted. I've used the product from rustdepot.com. Pay $25 a gallon for evaporust or $4 a gallon for diluted concentrate. You can mix the concentrate stronger and get faster rust dissolving. Thanks for the tip. I paid $82 for a gallon that makes 10 gallons and rust911 is only $59.50 a gallon that makes 16 gallons.

Last edited by mrtexas; 08-08-2015 at 06:42 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #24
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett View Post
I filled my radiator with white vinegar, ran it a week and got a nasty orange foam and lots of black stuff
Here is my controlled test comparing vinegar and Evapo-rust to see how they are different: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...hlight=vinegar What I found is that the acidic vinegar is actually neutralized as it is dissolving the rust and no longer acidic to do anything before it actually dissolves all of the rust.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #25
Johnnydidd

Well I am back again, I put wetter water rust inhibtor in my 53 Ford ran it about 15 miles temp was about 205 deg, running 65 to 75 mph, running air conditioner and electric fan, It seems to get hotter the longer it runs 190 deg then 200 deg. I run it, when it idles the temp will drop some 5 to 10 deg.

Last edited by Johnnydidd; 08-09-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #26
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
Well I am back again, I put wetter water in my 53 Ford ran it about 15 miles temp was about 205 deg, running 65 to 75 mph, running air conditioner and electric fan, It seems to get hotter the longer it runs 190 deg then 200 deg. I run it, when it idles the temp will drop some 5 to 10 deg.
Can one assume that you are using at least one aftermarket mechanical temp. gauge and not the original factory gauge?.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #27
Dave in WY

"It seems to get hotter the longer it runs 190 deg then 200 deg. I run it, when it idles the temp will drop some 5 to 10 deg".

I have to wonder if your Thermostats are working properly. If they are stuck open, I think they will let the coolant run too fast through the system and not allow enough time for the radiator to cool the water. ?? Just my thoughts. Best of luck!!!
Dave
Dave in WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #28
1931 flamingo

JMO, but doesn't a t/stat stay closed until water/coolant reaches that temp and then stay open until temp goes below it's rating?? Me thinks you've got a radiator or waterpump problem if it's running that hot.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #29
Dave in WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
JMO, but doesn't a t/stat stay closed until water/coolant reaches that temp and then stay open until temp goes below it's rating?? Me thinks you've got a radiator or waterpump problem if it's running that hot.
Paul in CT
I'm not positive, but I was under the impression that a Thermostat opened and closed to some degree, and that it wasn't just closed or open all the way. It was explained to me by a Rad. Repair guy, that a Thermostat should be closed until the temp gets high enough to open it up, and when the cooler water from the Rad. enters the engine, the Thermostat closes down until the temp rises again and then opens it up. It might be an open and closed deal, but I'm not sure. With the RPMs lower, the water would not flow through the Rad. as fast, and it would get cooled down more. ???? That's why I thought it could be stuck open thermostats. ???
Dave
Dave in WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #30
29AVEE8

Since the car cools down at idle I would investigate the coolant flow in the radiator. Does anybody rod out radiators these days? Also you mentioned A/C and an electric fan.
Is the fan large enough? Is it a puller or a pusher? '53's didn't come with A/C so maybe the radiator size is not adequate. Lots of possible culprits here.

Last edited by 29AVEE8; 08-09-2015 at 08:40 PM.
29AVEE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #31
Johnnydidd

fan is a puller, largest size that will fit shroud is 24 x 18.5 x 25/8. the radiator has new 4 row core new last year. both thermostats are new could be a possibility. I may remove the stats and see what happens? I will bet its something simple. Is anyone running ac?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #32
mrtexas

I had a 36 radiator rodded out. Had to find an old time radiator shop. Not many of those around anymore. Shop was in a run down 30s style old gas station.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #33
flatheadmurre

One thing about putting in a new high effiency core in a flatty is that the pumps dont put out a lot of pressure so might loose the flow.
Dont know how much better the improved pumps are.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #34
Johnnydidd

ambient 85 deg, UPDATE just got back from run about 30 miles, first 10 miles @ 75 mph no ac temp ran about 195 deg, ran last 20 running 75 mph with ac temp went up to 210, ran 15 miles, all of a sudden droped back to 205, sounds like I have a blockage. ran 205 till I got in the city dropped back to 200 w ac.