Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Buford

Default Arizona title?

Hi everyone, I am going to buy a vehicle with Arizona title and the seller indicates that her signature needs to be notarized...is this true?
There is no lien on the vehicle and I am paying cash to bring it back to New Mexico for registration.

Preparation H will not stop asteroids!
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Arizona title?

I have no idea about Arizona titles, but years back Kansas titles required a notary and there was a place on the title for it. I have several older titles with the notary requirement on the title but it is no longer required. It might be that the Arizona title in question states that notarization is required even though state laws may have changed. Currently in Kansas all you need is a signed title AND a bill of sale that states the purchase price.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

What's the problem?? The notary is verifying that the signature is hers. That's all.
JMO

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
RKS.PA

I recently relocated from PA to AZ with two old Fords and titled both in AZ. On the back of the AZ title, in the "Transfer of Ownership" section, it calls for a notarized signature of the seller.

Hope this helps and getting the AZ title notarized shouldn't be too hard is there's a bank or AAA handy. So I believe your seller is correct.

Good luck with your new car!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
What's the problem?? The notary is verifying that the signature is hers. That's all.
JMO

Paul in CT
I never thought it was a problem on the Kansas titles, you could get a notary anywhere, even the local grocery stores! Not sure why they removed the requirement, but the notary part is still on the older titles. Title laws are really different from state to state. In Kansas you keep the title even if it has a lean on it but in Taxes the lender keeps the title. Very different setup.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Buford

OK guys, thanks for the input...

Preparation H will not stop asteroids!
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
bluardun

All Arizona Titles require the sellers signature to be notarized. Which requires the seller to sign his signature in the presents of the notary.
Not a difficult task. Big problem if not done correctly.
enjoy
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
V12Bill

My Dad once sold a camper trailer in NJ to a buyer from PA. When the buyer went to transfer the title to their name in PA, they were told that the NJ title had to be notarized to convert it to a PA owner. No real problem as the distance between buyer and seller was less than 20 miles, but if the distance was a couple of hundred or more it could have gotten messy.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Dave in WY

I recently sold a Mustang (Parts Car) to a friend in Ohio. About a week ago, I got a form from Ohio State to fill out, asking me if I did in fact sell the car, and for how much money. I have never heard of such a thing before. I wouldn't have minded at all, except I had to provide a return envelope and postage. It's not the money, it's the idea behind it. In Wyoming, we still have to get a title notorized, but it doesn't cost anything other than time and gas. I got the title signed and notorized and handed it to my friend, and he took it with him back to Ohio. Seems you have about 30 days to get the title changed over into your name. ?? I also sold a couple junkers to a salvage yard here, and had to get the titles notorized even though the cars were being junked. Something new in this state I hadn't heard of.
Dave
Dave in WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
My Dad once sold a camper trailer in NJ to a buyer from PA. When the buyer went to transfer the title to their name in PA, they were told that the NJ title had to be notarized to convert it to a PA owner. No real problem as the distance between buyer and seller was less than 20 miles, but if the distance was a couple of hundred or more it could have gotten messy.
NJ does not require their titles to be notarized for transfer, not even a place on title for notary. Must be a PA thing for transfer.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50 View Post
NJ does not require their titles to be notarized for transfer, not even a place on title for notary. Must be a PA thing for transfer.
Their after the sale price, Kansas requires a signed title and a bill of sale. The titles have a place to record the sale price, but they still want an additional bill of sale. But it all boils down to money, they want their maximum tax return.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
V12Bill

It was a PA thing. That was the point of my message.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50 View Post
It was a PA thing, that was the point of my message.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Texas requires the buyer of a motor vehicle or trailer to fill out an application for title. This is a one page form that is required to be signed by the previous owner but no requirement for notarization. This can cause a long distance problem for those bringing an out of state registered vehicle into TX if they don't prepare before hand. I just wonder how many of them have forged signatures on them. I have never dated one for sure. If you date it then the clock is ticking.

They started this gig after I moved down here back in 85. I guess if you move to this state you have to go dig up the previous owner for a vehicle you have already owned for more than 40 years but need to tranfer the title to a new state.

DMV's in each state are different and they seem to be making it more complicated to do any transferes with older cars as time goes by. At some point you will have to get a lawyer and a court judgement just to move to another state.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-26-2015 at 11:20 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
waterboychuck

Buford, my only comment to you would be to check with the AZ DMV to make sure the car is current in there system. That will makes it easier for to in the long run.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #16
48thames

I bought my Tudor in AZ and brought it back to CA and the AZ title was notarized.
48thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #17
chap52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluardun View Post
All Arizona Titles require the sellers signature to be notarized. Which requires the seller to sign his signature in the presents of the notary.
Not a difficult task. Big problem if not done correctly.
enjoy
It indicates and provided a space for this requirement on the back of the title.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
37 Cab

Oklahoma requires a notary stamp as well. I sold a truck a while back and the buyer had to send me the title back for a notary stamp. I thought it would be OK since it went out of state but not so...
Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
willie2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
JMO

Paul in CT
This seems the most practical answer-and yes, as a resident of Arizona the title must be notorized.

Good luck with your purchase!

Willie in Phoenix
willie2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #20
TJ

Almost all banks have a notary on staff. If you are going through a bank for the money(wire transfer, etc) the bank will supply the notary for free. that's how I did it when I bought a car from Arizona.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote