Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
ian Simpson

Default Good bye

Gentlefolks,

I am not a great believer in the gospel according to Henry Ford, and I am not joined at the hip to any one supplier. However, I have enjoyed my short time as a member of this forum and have learnt much about my favourite car.

But, I am tired of the insults and innuendoes that I have received when I present a view not in agreement with several of the more vocal respondents.

It is with regret that I am formally and publically renouncing my membership. I will miss the posts and PMs of encouragement or civil disagreement from the many whose advice and opinion I respect, but I will no longer accept the insults of self-aggrandizing morons who consider themselves not to be bound by the norms of civil society.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Hoogah

Default Re: Good bye

FB is the poorer for your departure, Ian. It's not too late to change your mind, if you decide that you can in fact continue to ignore the rants of grumpy old men (behaviourally, anyway).

I thought the retort to your comment on the Bert's thread was a joke, but perhaps it wasn't, as it seems to have been removed. It would have been "grown up" for the removal to have occurred in conjunction with an apology!

For the record, your contribution there and elsewhere n this forum have added value to my experience here. Sorry to see your farewell post.

Last edited by Hoogah; 01-12-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
160B

Sad to see you depart.

I would encourage you to not depart as when you quit they win!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
Yikes!

I must have missed something

as far as "self-aggrandizing morons who consider themselves not to be bound by the norms of civil society"

there are too many of them out there

I don't see it as much on the other forums I am on

Enjoy your car
Well now, hang on just a minute. The two most recent instances are one thread where someone was giving praises to Steve Becker, and several followed only to have Ian rudely hijack taking the praise away from Steve and placing it towards another vendor. Another FB regular called him out on it. I know I kinda felt uncomfortable when I read what Ian posted, however I did not say anything. I suspect others shared the same sentiment.

Another situation came up today when someone spoke of rebuilding a cross shaft and wanted to know the measurement the shaft needed to built up to. Immediately someone posted to use split bushing to which I and several others explaned why these were inferior to the original design. This countered what Ian's opinion was, so apparently he had to come forth and defend his opinion. Because folks have stated their opinions that apparently he does not agree with, we are now called Morons, and he feels the need to go participate elsewhere.

I too hate it for Ian, but surely he knows what is best for him, and if he feels he needs to go somewhere else to participate, who are we to argue with him?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Good bye, good luck and enjoy your A. Over the past year many have chosen the same path of departure. But remember you will also Endure the loss. Wayne
Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Ed

I understand your thoughts on this matter. I have been a member for several years now. You have to have a thick skin to put up with some of the members here.

I have become a lurker. With rare exception, I no longer participate in discussions on this forum. I occasionally check the post to see if there is anything that interest me. Other than that I have virtually disappeared from this forum.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Well now, hang on just a minute. The two most recent instances are one thread where someone was giving praises to Steve Becker, and several followed only to have Ian rudely hijack taking the praise away from Steve and placing it towards another vendor. Another FB regular called him out on it. I know I kinda felt uncomfortable when I read what Ian posted, however I did not say anything. I suspect others shared the same sentiment. .
You suspect wrongly, at least in my case. I did not find Ian's contribution rude in the slightest! There was no disrespect to anyone, including Steve as I read it. Goodness me! There have been many threads in the time that I've been on FB where discussion may be initiated about a supplier and the thread has evolved (as threads do!) to include a broader range of suppliers.

The "regular" who rounded on him must feel that he's done the wrong thing, however, as that post is now removed from the thread!

[/QUOTE] This countered what Ian's opinion was, so apparently he had to come forth and defend his opinion . . . .[/QUOTE]

Where I come from, that's called a discussion if it's done politely!! And it was done most politely in this instance.

Last edited by Hoogah; 01-12-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post

You suspect wrongly, at least in my case. I did not find Ian's contribution rude in the slightest! There was no disrespect to anyone, including Steve as I read it. Goodness me! There have been many threads in the time that I've been on FB where discussion may be initiated about a supplier and the thread has evolved (as threads do!) to include a broader range of suppliers.

The "regular" who rounded on him must feel that he's done the wrong thing, however, as that post is now removed from the thread!
This countered what Ian's opinion was, so apparently he had to come forth and defend his opinion . . . .[/QUOTE]

Where I come from, that's called a discussion if it's done politely!! And it was done most politely in this instance.[/QUOTE]

The rules of the forum are no hijacking and where I come from he violated the rule. He is not apt to get much sympathy from this crowd. Soon to be gone and soon to be forgotten. Wayne
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #9
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Gentlefolks,

I am not a great believer in the gospel according to Henry Ford, and I am not joined at the hip to any one supplier. However, I have enjoyed my short time as a member of this forum and have learnt much about my favourite car.

But, I am tired of the insults and innuendoes that I have received when I present a view not in agreement with several of the more vocal respondents.

It is with regret that I am formally and publically renouncing my membership. I will miss the posts and PMs of encouragement or civil disagreement from the many whose advice and opinion I respect, but I will no longer accept the insults of self-aggrandizing morons who consider themselves not to be bound by the norms of civil society.
Hey Ian.............wasn't following this thread, probably because I've dealt with Steve before and I concur about the customer service. I haven't had any bad customer service from anyone but.....look what you got...five stars, some one wants you gone, don't give the arsehole the satisfaction!!!! Probably someone who doesn't like stories or humor or life in general or his vote was a waste of his time!!! Who knows!!! Life is too feckin short, especially when you're at the age when you can drop dead anytime.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post

This countered what Ian's opinion was, so apparently he had to come forth and defend his opinion . . . .

Where I come from, that's called a discussion if it's done politely!! And it was done most politely in this instance.

I understand, I agree, and your opinion is fine with me.

For the record though, you are correct there is a missing key piece that might have initially changed the perception. There was another post that has since been deleted that 'scolded' Ian for his post. And, please understand it was not I that made that post or deleted it. Ironically I had a conversation this morning with a fellow Fordbarner who was asking some questions and I referred him to a website that was owned by the person who made the post which has now been deleted. That opened the door for the person on the phone to ask me if I had read the post about Berts, and this person shared asking me if I had an opinion on what Ian had said because it pissed him off too. Again, this was all of about a 30 second portion of our 15 minute conversation, ...so as you can see, I am not losing any sleep over Ian's post.

Go look at all of the other threads Ian has been involved with, and point out which ones you feel should have pushed him to the point he feels the need to walk away and use the word Morons, -not Moron singularly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
Dodge

Somedays your the bug and somedays your the windshield.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Ian,

I get bashed a lot of times by one person on this site everytime he can get a chance to stick his fricken nose into something that I have wrote. The guy thinks he has it over me but he is just a jellous AH. Yes he will continue to do it because he thinks his S%$t dosent stink and has nothing else but to contibute pokes.

I just laugh at his comments as do quite a few others who think the same way I do about this guy. So sad for him. It is really to bad this guy is the way he is. Guess he enjoys it otherwise he would quit. Guess he will grow up sometime.

Hate to see you go because of someone who thinks he is better than the rest of us.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 01-12-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
but.....look what you got...five stars, some one wants you gone, )
Naw, that is just the 'Five Star Bandit' thread-rater striking. Again He's still with us. A member of M.O.R.O.N. Local 561, be it said!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #14
J Franklin

Hey ask my wife- I like to argue even when I'm wrong!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

What is this obsession regarding rating? Plus I thought it was the one star rater, but now it's the five star rater????
Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #16
ursus

Let it go, Ian. As the saying goes, dogs may bark but the caravan moves on. I have taken a few bites here but, as in football and rugby, the game continues.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:04 AM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Ian,

I get bashed a lot of times by one person on this site everytime he can get a chance to stick his fricken nose into something that I have wrote. The guy thinks he has it over me but he is just a jellous AH. Yes he will continue to do it because he thinks his S%$t dosent stink and has nothing else but to contibute pokes.

I just laugh at his comments as do quite a few others who think the same way I do about this guy. So sad for him. It is really to bad this guy is the way he is. Guess he enjoys it otherwise he would quit. Guess he will grow up sometime.

Hate to see you go because of someone who thinks he is better than the rest of us.

Pluck
I can relate to every word of this. I have a sniper too who I am prepared to recognise does know lots but when I posted something he didn't know, he turned. Since then, I've offered both privately and publicly to explain but he doesn't want to know.
Things have quietened down a bit now and that's fine but it did give me a first hand experience of the sort of thing Ian left over. I have a thick skin - I've been married for over 40 years so I can handle myself in a scrap.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #18
DougVieyra

Ian, Post #1: " I am tired of the insults and innuendoes that I have received when I present a view not in agreement with several of the more vocal respondents. I am formally and publically renouncing my membership."

Well I for one am glad to see you go Ian.
For I know it will make you a better man.
There is absolutely no reason for you to have to endure and put up with insults and innuendoes.

And it certainly does help those Forum members who remain behind to clearly hear that you are making a formal and public renouncement of your membership. Firm and decisive. No wishy-washy like some might have done.

The Forum can sometimes be a rowdy playground, So, for your own peace of mind, I am glad to see you go.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 AM   #19
Cornishman

What a shame Ian. I would like to thank you for the support you offered me when I experienced a similar thing. I got to the point of being so fed up with one particular member that I contacted the admin about 'cyber bullying'. That was an interesting conversation as they, after looking into it, claimed that it was my fault because of the private message that I had sent regarding my mental health. I have no health issues and certainly sent no private message to that effect. The private message I received from the offending member was offensive to the extreme and has been followed up by continual sniping at my posts. The same member has been quoted on this thread after posting an inappropriate reply to what I presume is one of Ian's postings. Pathetic, ignorant and pointless. One interesting point which may be water off the American members' backs is that both Ian and I are foreigners and if that is your natural reaction to our points of view and experiences God Help America. I am a admin/moderator on a European motorcycle forum and there is no way that we would entertain the sort of behaviour shown here. For a forum with an average member's age that is much, much higher than most it is as unbelievable as it is worrying.
PS I have just noticed that synchro909 is foreign too! I think that admin needs to take this seriously.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #20
Synchro909

Cornishman,
The US has about 5% of the world's population. That means that to 95% of people, Americans are foreigners.