Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Museum drawings

How would I obtain drawings of wood from a museum (name unknown at the minute) for say the door post of a 1931 Blindback? Is this by part number from Fords parts book or is it a number devised by the museum?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Museum drawings

Its THE HENRY FORD MUSEUM
Here are the parts requests
https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...arts-drawings/
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
redmodelt

I understand what you are asking. More often then not the part number in the body or parts catalog is different then the drawing or production number. Any number used by them would be one of the Ford numbers not made up.
The fordors were not made by Ford so The Henry Ford may not even have the drawings but you can check.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Cape Codder

I have just remembered , I was thinking of the Benson Museum. I had seen several posts that talked about drawings from the Benson but no one ever explained and I didn't think to ask. redmodeltYou are correct in what I have read that they where made (in my case) by Briggs. Any help would be appreciated!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
redmodelt

While they are slow and not real good on communication, Fordwood.com sell individual pieces of wood. The Benson might be the correct one. Try googling Ford Model A (or T)Benson drawings.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1300373875
Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
How would I obtain drawings of wood from a museum (name unknown at the minute) for say the door post of a 1931 Blindback? Is this by part number from Fords parts book or is it a number devised by the museum?
To understand the entire process is more than I wish to type here on my phone, but hopefully this will clear up some of your questions. It is the Benson Ford Library which is just inside the gates of The Henry Ford, which is the modern name for the old Greenfield Village complex.

To also help you better understand what you are asking, there is no such thing as a door post nor a 1931 Blindback in Ford's nomenclature, -nor in the Library's vocabulary. Also, numbers listed in the parts books are numbers for assembled parts, and usually are not of the item you are seeking. Why they call this a research center is because you must search for the root part number of the item to find the applicable assembly drawing. That drawing will then give you individual part numbers of the items used to make up the assembly. Next you must search the Engineering Releases to find if there are any applicable changes made that would affect your item. Then once you have found the wood drawing, unless you have a strong background in CAD, the prints will not be of much help to the average woodworker because they are very cluttered with measurement numbers in fractions and use them on random sweeps. Adding to the difficulty is these drawings were originally drawn in half-scale but when they were photographed for microphish some years later for preservation, some of the detail and crispness was lost.

I have spent many hours there in person, and I can offer my opinion that it would likely take several hours of diligent research to find and decipher all the data necessary for that print. I can also tell you that the staff at BF is very helpful but I have yet to find one of them that could tell you the difference between a spark plug and a screwdriver. Therefore you expecting the staff to be able to research this for you is expecting a lot IMHO. For this reason alone, I feel this is part of the reason why he commercial wood manufacturers have never digitized those drawing for use in the facility. It is less time-consuming for them to use samples & pattern to work from and modify them on an as-needed basis. Hopefully this helps you some.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
To understand the entire process is more than I wish to type here on my phone, but hopefully this will clear up some of your questions. It is the Benson Ford Library which is just inside the gates of The Henry Ford, which is the modern name for the old Greenfield Village complex.

To also help you better understand what you are asking, there is no such thing as a door post nor a 1931 Blindback in Ford's nomenclature, -nor in the Library's vocabulary. Also, numbers listed in the parts books are numbers for assembled parts, and usually are not of the item you are seeking. Why they call this a research center is because you must search for the root part number of the item to find the applicable assembly drawing. That drawing will then give you individual part numbers of the items used to make up the assembly. Next you must search the Engineering Releases to find if there are any applicable changes made that would affect your item. Then once you have found the wood drawing, unless you have a strong background in CAD, the prints will not be of much help to the average woodworker because they are very cluttered with measurement numbers in fractions and use them on random sweeps. Adding to the difficulty is these drawings were originally drawn in half-scale but when they were photographed for microphish some years later for preservation, some of the detail and crispness was lost.

I have spent many hours there in person, and I can offer my opinion that it would likely take several hours of diligent research to find and decipher all the data necessary for that print. I can also tell you that the staff at BF is very helpful but I have yet to find one of them that could tell you the difference between a spark plug and a screwdriver. Therefore you expecting the staff to be able to research this for you is expecting a lot IMHO. For this reason alone, I feel this is part of the reason why he commercial wood manufacturers have never digitized those drawing for use in the facility. It is less time-consuming for them to use samples & pattern to work from and modify them on an as-needed basis. Hopefully this helps you some.
Plus, and to add to Brent's post...at $35.00 an hour, it could get right spendy to have them look something up for you and then again, they might not get it right but a lot of times they do!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote