Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default I've just got to share this!!!

Talk about being on Cloud 9!!!

This story starts back in 1968 when I was in the 3rd grade at Red Bluff Elementary School in Pasadena, Texas. My teacher's name was Mrs. Presswood and one day during class I told her that I liked Model-As. She told me her husband also liked Model-A's. I asked her if he had "some too" (...our family had several and I was naive enough to believe other folks owned several Model-As too) and her reply was "No, ...he just likes them." Since my Dad was a member of both MARC & MAFCA, each month we received a club magazine in the mail plus the Houston club's newsletter. Every month I would religiously take the magazines & newsletter to school after my Dad was finished reading them so Mrs. Presswood could take them home for her husband to read.

Several years later, I heard that Mr. Presswood finally purchased a Model-A and joined the Houston club. Somewhere around 1978 (about the time I graduated high school) there was a fateful day when the Presswoods were participating in the driving events with the Houston club when Mrs. Presswood who was driving her husband's beloved 1931 Slant-windshield Sedan accidently missed 2nd gear. Sadly the outcome was fatal as the transmission was broken. The way I hear it is first Mr. Presswood was very upset with Mrs. Presswood, and then just sad about the entire situation. On that terrible day, the Sedan was loaded on a trailer and transported to the Presswood home where it would sit idly for years only to see the light of day when the Presswoods moved to a new house. Now just like the previous years, the Sedan again sat in the new location totaling about 35 years all together.

Now the year is 2012 and Mrs. Presswood is tired of sweeping out the garage around the broken Sedan so she firmly gives her husband an ultimatum that he either must sell the car, --or fix it. After he gave some thought he made a few phone calls to find out how to contact one of my mentors, Bill Coleman to see if he would repair the transmission. After the Presswoods traveled to the Model-A Poor Boy tour, they spoke with Bill who told them he now was retired from doing restoration work. They asked could he or anyone else recommend someone else. Evidently my name came up. Mrs. Presswood thought that name sounded familiar to her but dismissed it when they heard I was in Tennessee. None the less, they went home and searched my name.

A couple weeks later I received a phone call one afternoon from a man that started off telling me his father had Model-A that had a broken transmission and would I be interested in fixing it. I said Yes and then he followed up by telling me the same story I just told to you. At the end of the conversation, he then said "My mother thinks she may know you." He then told me his mother's name ....and I about fell over!! I told him "YES YES I REMEMBER HER!!" Ohh but then my life as an 8-year old kid (who I could have been the 'poster child' for A.D.D. if the doctors knew what that was back then!! ) started flashing through my mind! To say I was nervous as we began exchanging e-mails would be an understatement but she was just as sweet as I remembered her, ...and the best thing was she didn't hold any grudges from 1968!!

Well soon thereafter Mr. Presswood called and we started talking about his Sedan. He told me how he found the car which was a low mileage car that came from Brenham, TX originally. The original upholstery was in the car but it had been repainted before he purchased it. As we talked he explained that he purchased all new gears many years ago with the plans to rebuild the transmission however circumstances just never worked out. Somewhere along the way his mother (an accomplished artist) painted a picture of his car in his favorite combination of Copra & Chicle and gave it to him. The more we talked, the more you could tell he was getting excited. We discussed could I also check out the brakes, and maybe the engine. I said Sure and then he asked if it could be repainted. Again, we could do that for him too. Several e-mails exchanged before he finally told me he had always been apprehensive about doing anything to the car, but he felt the timing was right to get the car semi-restored where they could start participating with the Model-A club again.

Well, yesterday the Presswoods finally made their trip from Texas, ...not only bringing the Sedan but their daughter and their grandchildren along with Mr. Presswood's sister. When they all arrived, it was absolute jubilee around here. I was excited, they were excited, my employees were in amazement, -and my wife was asking for details from 1968, ...so it was totally WILD and AWESOME all at the same time!! One of my employees even asked me later was she a good teacher. I said Heck Yeah, she promoted me to the 4th grade!!

You know, in life it is the simple things that bring so much enjoyment. In my line of work, we meet many people that we have the privilege to bring joy to them by fulfilling their dreams, and often times we get to hear how a car is special to them because a family member once owned it, or how the car played an earlier part in their life. To me, this Sedan opens a chapter of my life and reunites an influential person who I had not seen in some 45 years. What an honor this will be to be able to give a piece of "me" back to a person and her husband who gave something to me. Like I said earlier, talk about being on Cloud 9!! Now tonite Pennie & I are taking them to dinner to "catch up". I can hardly wait!!

1st Picture: My 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Presswood sitting on the back of the trailer as I receive instructions from Mr. Presswood.
2nd Picture: A very solid Sedan
3rd Picture: Preparing to unload the car.
...more pix to come!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9355.jpg (88.5 KB, 1101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9357.jpg (70.0 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9358.jpg (75.0 KB, 950 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 08-01-2012 at 03:59 PM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: I've just got to share this!!!

Great story, Brent. And he is lucky to have found one of the best restorers in the country to put it all right for him again. Good on all of you!

My heart leapt into my throat, though, when I read, "...Sadly the outcome was fatal..." I was afraid I was going to read about a tragedy. Relieved to read the rest of the paragraph and learn it was only fatal to the transmission.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Ray64

Brent what a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Does she get the ex-teacher discount?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Richard Wilson

Funny how some things come full circle. I am glad that you get to help get them back on the road. It is a shame that something as simple as a transmission robbed them of 35 years of Model A fun.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
james hitchcock

Great story. You should have her up an on the road in no time.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Patrick L.

Nice story,, it was a fun read..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
awander

awander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Loved the story! Soooooooo, 1968 you were in third grade-----you're just a kid, lol.

Jack
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
zzlegend

HUMMM. I graduated from High School in 1964. Let me do the math here.
Great story with memories.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

Great story Brent, kinda a pay it forward...model A theme.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Roadster62

Great story and a nice Model A, look forward to the rebuild story. Bob
Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
30ccpickup

Make sure she gives you a gold star when your done. Thanks for the story.

Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
Steve Wastler

Really cool, indeed a small world!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
mack4759

I agree with Jeff/Illlinois. If they will let you, please post pictures of the "finished product." Now, the big question is will he let his wife drive the car ever again?
mack4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
Huckster Dave

I know we have had words but this is a great story here's to you. What an opp to pay it forward.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
PepeLoco

Third grade....best two years of my life.
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
modeleh

Great story Brent. I know how you feel. The grade 3 teacher I had back in 1983 would take her students on a field trip once a year to her home where she and her husband had a private collection of antique cars, railroad, and logging artifacts. Her husband would give each kid a ride in an old car, usually one of their Model Ts. My older sister and brother who were in her class in years previous to me got a ride on a Climax steam locomotive which rode on a wooden plank railway. By the time I was in grade 3, the boiler in the locie needed retubing, so I never got to ride on it.
About 25 years later, I had become caretaker of my grandpa's 30 A roadster, so one day I stopped by their place and introduced myself. She remembered me and my siblings from years gone by, and I told them how much their field trips to their home had meant to me. (She actually taught me grade 3&4 so I got to go twice). The best part is, I was able to volunteer some labour to help them complete the restoration of one of their early cars for it's centennial. Since then, we have become very good friends and we spend alot of time together playing with old cars.
Hooray for grade 3!
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
Manuel

Great story Brent.
Did your wife and children ask her if u were a 'model' student?

My family love hearing stories about my past.

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
'29wagon

chilling
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #21
rossofozini

Not much I cad add other than thanks for sharing such a great story.
rossofozini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Great story Brent.
Did your wife and children ask her if u were a 'model' student?

My family love hearing stories about my past.

Manuel in Oz
Umm yes. Last night Pennie & I along with my 21 year old daughter went to dinner with my teacher and her husband, along with their daughter (who is also a teacher) and their daughter's two children. What I learned is in my 3rd grade teacher's entire career she only paddled one student. Guess who......

I also learned a little more about some of the details last night. Evidently the breakage occured during driving events at the Texas Tour where she was driving and her husband was to screw spark plugs into a cylinder head on the table while blindfolded as a timed event. Evidently she didn't miss 2nd gear but instead dropped the clutch while the engine was revved up "so the engine would not stall". He said while he was blindfolded, he heard every tooth break yet was expecting the entire front of the car to be gone when he uncovered his eyes. He says he still remembers that anguishing sound. They both agreed is was a VERY silent trip back home with the car after that day!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #23
Ron Lowe

Thanks for the story. That was a great way to start my morning. Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Randy in Illinois

Great story Brent, funny how life comes around, alittle kindness of shareing your fathers magazines made someone remember you. Great feeling for you and your teacher's family. Thanks for sharing your story.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
pat in Santa Cruz

I love stories like this one. Thank you, Brent. I imagine this will be one of the most rewarding restorations you will have. congratulations. These are the memories and stories that make this hobby so rewarding.

Last week, I took a woman for her first drive in her 1937 Packard. Her dad had it when she was a 5 year old kid, and it had languished in her garage undriven for decades. As a child she always imagined driving it, but it had never happened. Her dad had warned her when she was 5 that she was never to jump up and down in the seats, and never to eat ice cream in it. We had to rebuild the engine and brakes to get it going. When she came by to look at it, I suggested she drive it. As we pulled out the driveway, she told me this was her first time driving it. She was as excited as a little kid again. The look on her face was priceless. Her eyes sparkled as she smiled, saying, " This is so cool... I'm too old to jump up and down in the seats, but the first place I'm gonna stop is an ice cream store and I'm gonna eat some ice cream in here"
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
charlesea

Brent, this too good a story not to publish it in both national magazines. This one gave me goose bumps. Thanks for sharing it.
Charles in Alabama
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
400A-64

Thumbs up Re: I've just got to share this!!!

Brent, be sure to save this story in PRINT as well as others that you may have.
My wife started recording various stories and happinings of years ago. Some before we met and some BC (before kids) When our daughter reads one of these stories to our 7 year old Great Grandson, he is very interested in the events of the "olden days". It also creates questions in their minds. My wife writes these stories throughout the year and gives them to our daughters at Christmas.She does the same for favorite recipies.
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
MikeK

OK, this explains everything. First you've got A.D.D. Now you overcompensate by hyper-attentiveness to detail. Thanks Brent! Great story. Keep up the overcompensation.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
Terry, NJ

Great story! Who'd have thunk it? I was the poster kid in my class for ADD too.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #30
1930artdeco

Great story Brent. Have you given any thought to maybe recording these stories and donating them to the new MAFFI museum? This would keep the stories alive and for future generations to see how these cars affect families.

Mike
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
jrapose

Hi Brent
I also went to Red Bluff Elementary, but that was in Red Bluff Calif...Ha!

But right now I am RE-Doing a horrible restoration for my childhood babysitter from Red Bluff (about 70 miles away) ...a 30 Tudor... He once broke my arm while babysitting...(I fell off the handlebars of his bike) You would laugh to see what this "professional" did...21" lwheels on a 30 car...Philips screws thoughout...bordello interior...German cloth covering on the top...and when I removed the torque tube the driveline fell out..he just used a spray can to restore the brakes...they were really bad...dangerous..luckly he installed a properly rebuilt engine and transmission...but somehow diden't notice half of one motor mount was gone... like I said my friend really got done wrong... I have been replacing all the junk with restored original parts, and rebuilding everything....yesterday I got a set of backing plates from one of the guys on this board and they are really nice, at a fair price and will work well...the spray can restored backing plates were worn so bad I just could not save them...looked like someone drug the car without wheels or hubs...bottom of the plate was just gone...gone.? ground off... this was over a $20k restoration done by someone in Redding Calif. I have roughly $3k in parts in the car now and I think I will have the running gear finished before winter....next summer I will need to reshim the body and do something about the horrid (orange peel) paintjob.

So I know what you did, and how it feels to give back to a friend..I think if possible we all should do this for Model A friends...after all we are friends and when you look at it.,,,that is what life is about.

Joel Rapose
Chester Calif.
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Brent

Great story!
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #33
asapguy

Nice to read such a great story. Perry
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
Russ B

Great story. It deserves wider distribution.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #35
Bill Underwood

Really cool Brent! As a poem says, paraphrased...old friends are gold!

Bill U
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
supergnat

Great Story Brent,
Thanks for sharing. I wish I lived closer so I could see your shop.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
gpits68

great story,thanks for sharing
gpits68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #38
Bill in Al

That's just a great story.Thank you for sharing Brent. --Bill
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #39
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

People reap what they sow! A good teacher meets a good restorer!
I have a feeling she is very lucky NOT to be one of those teachers who still cause nightmares after 50 years...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
fordcragar

Great story Brent, thanks for sharing.

Larry
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #41
Barber31

Great story Brent. The word fatal was a bit misleading and almost ruined the story for me. Thankfully it was just the transmission. Did you ever post pictures of the final outcome? Are they now enjoying tours again?
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 AM   #42
midgetracer

Fantastic story, Brent. I can't wait to see the after picture. It is truly a small world.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #43
Brentwood Bob

Time to pay back. Few of us get the opportunity you have.
Looks like a solid car and well cared for.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #44
1930marie

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. Lucky you!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:56 AM   #45
cradlescyth

Thanks for sharing !!
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #46
Ed Saniewski

This story is from 2012. I hope the outcome was favorable.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #47
Barber31

That's why I'm asking for the update! I was searching old threads last night and came across this one. I'm hoping they are back on the road touring again. I'm sure Brent did a good job freshening up the A so id like to see those pics too.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #48
old31

Thanks Brent for taking the time.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #49
Tom Wesenberg

I was surprised that they wanted a repaint when it looked so nice in the picture Brent posted.
Sure wish any of my 3 looked that nice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #50
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
This story is from 2012. I hope the outcome was favorable.

Thank you for bringing this up again. Unfortunately the ending is not as 'story-book' as I would have liked it to be, but here it is anyway.

Approximately half-way thru the restoration, the owner found out he had the big C word. We hustled to finish the project and we delivered it to them in Texas. Although his health had failed tremendously, he was still able to drive some where he was able to take some Model-A rides with his grandchildren and was able to enter it in a local community car show. Unfortunately he passed away in 2015 a few months after taking delivery. The good news is that MAFCA Tech Director and fellow Fordbarner Jim Cannon recently met with his son to give him some driving lessons in the car with the plans that the family will go on some upcoming tours this summer with the local Piney Woods Model-A club.

1st Picture: is us unloading the car at their home. The entire family was there and had thrown a party for this "unveiling". Although he had seen pictures of the progress, the owner last physically saw the car when he delivered it to my shop in the Fall of 2012. Due to backlog, we did not start the restoration until the Summer of 2013.
2nd Picture: The owners patiently awaiting as I was unstrapping and unloading the car.
3rd Picture: Winching it out (Jeez it was humid down there! )
4th Picture: His grandkids all jumped in the car and wanted a ride.
5th Picture: Him starting the engine for the first time in 30+ years.
6th Picture: His first time driving it since the transmission broke.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50.jpg (63.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 51.jpg (62.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 52.jpg (69.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 53.jpg (67.3 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 54.jpg (83.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (71.1 KB, 218 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 04-26-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #51
BRENT in 10-uh-C

...one of the goals for him was to attend a local car show with the car. Apparently they had attended this show for several prior years as spectators, but never as a participant. While the car was definitely not restored to be a show car, it was neat to see it do well as it won top car in the 1910-1955 category, Best Paint, Best Interior, and Best Engine Compartment in the restored category. Again, it was neat to see the family spending the day with him and his beloved car.

1st Picture: As I understand it, he was no longer driving by the time of the car show, but he rode with his son to the show in the car where the entire family helped displayed the car.
2nd Picture: The daughter had made him a pictorial book using pictures that we provided of the entire restoration process.
3rd Picture: I don't know how many cars were in the show but they said there was over 100. Based on their parking spot, I'd say they were there early that morning!
4th Picture: His Top Classic award plaque
5th Picture: A happy man that day.
6th Picture: The awards and the car...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56.jpg (91.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 57.jpg (73.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 58.jpg (79.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 59.jpg (81.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 60.jpg (92.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 61.jpg (49.2 KB, 154 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #52
BRENT in 10-uh-C

A couple final observations. This man had this car built with the intention of driving it. When his health began to fail him, taking it to a show still allowed him the opportunity to spend the day with his family and his car, and probably brought him just as much happiness doing that as what he would have had driving 200 mile tour. My point is, never miss an opportunity to spend time with your family. My second thought is don't procrastinate on playing with your car(s). If I could have written this man's script, I would have repaired/restored this car much sooner where he could have enjoyed it longer before his health failed.

To share some details about this car, mechanically it was more worn-out than he remembered when we started with it, so mechanically it was gone thru completely. Some of the highlights are that it has new cast-iron brake drums, a 3:54 rear end ratio, a HD Brassworks radiator, a SCAT counterweighted crankshaft, O/S intake valves, 6:1 head, a Stipe IB330 camshaft, a shortened Pitman arm, new Stipe shocks, and all new US transmission gears that he purchased new from Mark in the mid-1980s but never installed.

The electrical has been converted to 12volts and an alternator added because the customer wanted an air conditioning unit installed due to Texas weather. We started with a Ken Davis kit and modified it to fit the customer's needs. If you look closely, we modified the gas tank some to be able to move the unit up and towards the firewall to gain more legroom. We also fabricated and welded new A/C mounts to the tank. We also modified the fuel shut-off and the A/C unit housing to gain room. In addition, we also rerouted the A/C hoses and drilled two holes in the firewall to 'unclutter' the floor around the pedals. Although I am often labeled as a 'purist', I enjoyed doing this modification as it makes sense to me. In reality, later on should the desire arise, I could remove the fuel tank and replace it with another tank that has not been modified, weld-up the holes in the firewall and repaint it, remove the A/C components and install a generator on this vehicle and it would score very nicely in MARC/MAFCA Touring Class Judging. Below are some pictures of the A/C installation which BTW, will freeze you out of the car!!

1st Picture: A view that shows how the A/C unit is installed in the middle yet still gives the front seat occupants plenty of leg room.
2nd Picture: ...another view of the A/C unit. Color coordinating it helps make it look like it belongs there.

3rd Picture: Note the firewall insulator and the refrigerant hose routing.
4th Picture: Ken Davis compressor & alternator mount. Note the hose bulkhead in the firewall.
5th Picture: The body was fully insulated using Dyna-Mat, upholstery Jute mat, and Radiant-heat barring wrap.
6th Picture: The rear floor pan, seat riser, and inside of the rear body all insulated.
7th Picture: Installing the roof wire for the top, but notice the radiant heat barrier under the wire. Under the heat barrier is a layer of jute that is suspended on wires. When we fabricated the roof bows, we made them .125" larger (Deeper) which gave just enough room to fit the extra insulation and still have room for the headliner to attach to the rib. From the inside, you don't notice the difference of the extra depth of the roof bow.
8th Picture: The condenser mounted under the back of the body cooled with an electric fan.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70.1.jpg (62.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 70.5.jpg (63.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 71.jpg (56.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 72.jpg (68.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 73.jpg (61.7 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 74.jpg (93.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 75.jpg (83.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 76.jpg (46.6 KB, 207 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #53
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
That's why I'm asking for the update! I was searching old threads last night and came across this one. I'm hoping they are back on the road touring again. I'm sure Brent did a good job freshening up the A so id like to see those pics too.

I had another vehicle in the shop at the same time that we were restoring that had Tacoma Crème wheels too, so I installed them on one side to see the contrast between tires.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40.jpg (88.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 41.jpg (83.2 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (86.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 32.5.jpg (72.2 KB, 582 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #54
Art Newland

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post, I'm sure if it were me, I'd have enjoyed having the car for 3 months rather than not at all.

Last edited by Art Newland; 04-26-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #55
Ed H.

Sounds like you are doing your part to "make America great again". We all have those memories, the best part of life.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #56
Barber31

Thanks Brent for the update. Just as I expected, top notch. Sorry to hear about the husbands passing.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #57
dpson

Ha, great story, just goes to show it truly is a small world we live in.

As an aside: I've read your posts and looked at your avatar over the past several years and for some reason I thought you were in the UK, your story cleared up that misconception.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #58
H. L. Chauvin

The car looks beautiful.

Always wonderful to meet respected friends from so long ago.

Thanks for sharing stories and all of these photos.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #59
daveymc29

I love these stories so much I wrote a book about growing up poor during the depression. Not the only kid to do that but it was different than most. Try this site if you like this kind of stuff also. http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows

Brent I will tell you a teacher story sometime soon.David K. Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #60
Henry's Lady's Man

Thanx Brent; Great legacy for you all. Henry should be smiling to know how just ONE of his cars has brought families together in a truly amazing ongoing Odyssey.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 PM   #61
H. L. Chauvin

Reply No. 52 is a great series of instructional photos including but not limited to indicating:

1. Adding air conditioning in a Model A with shots of the undercarriage compressor fan, under hood compressor, refrigerant lines, & interior fan unit.

2. Properly adding reflective aluminum radiant barriers, and sound dampening.

3. Interior finishes and details, and door details.

Thanks.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #62
Charlville

Great story, more than "just a car" as always
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #63
bluemoontruck

gotta love it, Epic story
bluemoontruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #64
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack '29 Sport Coupe View Post
Loved the story! Soooooooo, 1968 you were in third grade-----you're just a kid, lol.

Jack
8 years old in 1968, third grade, living in Texas. That means Brent was 3 years old in 1963.

Hmmmm,,, I deduce that he was NOT part of the JFK assassination conspiracy.
Or did the Warren Report miss something here

Neat story fun to re-read this.

And, beautiful job on the car looks great!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 04-27-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #65
Jim M

Brent, what a great story! The older we get the more precious the old memories become. I have a 29 Roadster that was a barn find in WV that my 90 year old uncle found for me and every time I work on it or take it for a drive I think of him. Hope to stop by and meet you sometime on our travels! Sincerely, Jim M
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #66
henry's 31

Great story Brent. There is no question you meet the nicest people in the Model A Hobby. I wish you would write this story for "The Restorer" Magazine and share it with others. Thanks for sharing this moving story and for what you do for the hobby!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #67
JtownJoe

Great story Brent! Not A related but in 2001 my wife and I put in an offer on a local home for sale and when we met the current homeowners and introduced ourselves the lady looked at me and said "I had you in my 3rd grade class in 1954, in the old yellow, brick 8 room school house". I was blown away! She said it was her first class as a teacher and she never forgot her pupils from that class. Small world!
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #68
holdover

The essence of life is not what you get, but what you give.. And you gave the gentleman some great times at the end of his journey here on earth.

Hopefully see you in Lurray in May
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #69
daveymc29

Great story Brent. I quit school in 54 to joint the Marines. Got my first Model A in about 1958 and owned it for a couple of month. Somebody stole it and I thought my brother in law had given it away because it was taking up space in his Texaco station. Years later I inquired and he said he thought I took it home of sold it. We were around each other a whole lot and neither thought to ask the other about a pile of junk behind his station.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #70
DHZIEMAN

Great Story!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #71
George Miller

Great story Brent. That does not happen to most of us that moved away in our younger years.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #72
jimalabam

Thanks for sharing a great story Brent. WHY NOT a followup in the MARC News and MAFCA Restorer ??? Thanks again and hope to see you soon somewhere. Jiml...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #73
Bob Bidonde

Brent,
Thanks for sharing that great story!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #74
M2M

Yes, great story.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #75
kd4lok

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #76
cradlescyth

Memories are best when shared. Thanks!!!!
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote