Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
fritznbud

Default Auto Transporters

Good story here: I sold my 1901 Oldsmobile curved dash to a fellow in Redding, CA. He deposited the full amount $ into my account, money cleared and I sent him the title. He is arranging the shipping and I strongly suggested he call Jim @ Truly Vintage but he needed to "ship my car now" he said...ffwd to Christmas eve, dispatcher calls me and says, "our woman driver is at the local church parking lot, could you drive the carriage to her?" I drive to the church and there sits two Arabic jihadi's with a aluminum 3car trailer being pulled with a Ford dually. Not a word of English from these two monsters. I leave the car with them and walk home. I aint stickin' around. We are having biblical downpours here, flooding. Hours later I get a call from dispatcher saying the woman driver couldn't fit the car on the trailer, wheelbase was too narrow, and "she" had to leave it in the weather.....please retrieve the car. I did...in the wee hours of Christmas, i'm out in a downpour trying to get this carriage home. Morning comes and I check the car, the body had started to lift from drinking rain all night, 3 broken horns, chipped wood and covered in red GA. clay, not to mention a trashed pinion gear from mud boggin'. The buyer e-mails me and says he wants the car delivered in perfect condition like I stated when we made the deal.... The carriage is now @ the local impound lot with a growing storage bill waiting for the next fly-by-night shipper to pick it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000119.jpg (63.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IM000120.jpg (67.3 KB, 126 views)
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Auto Transporters

I hope you got the money in your pocket. And make sure there is no money in your account to get debited... We hear all the time of funds that clear then go bad / then the bank pulls it from your acct balance..
As far as the shipping experience that's a shame the car got ruined oh well..hope he has insurance on it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
fritznbud

Certified check from Chase bank, cleared 12-19-15 and the buyer didn't think to insure it. I'm sure the fine, upstanding shipper will cover it... Good thing he bought it cheap. Bad thing he chose a rotten transporter.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
SSsssteamer

I have sold a number of cars out of our collection and every time I have been amazed at the lifestyle and the equipment of the haulers that the buyers have used to haul away our cars. The most amazing was the delivery from Southern California that arrived in my driveway with a fifth wheel three car trailer without any ramps to off load my car with. I did not arrange for his services, the seller did. Fortunately, I had a pair of "convoy" ramps on hand that worked for us. It plays out that : "the cheapest way is not always the best way".
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Too bad, he should have waited and used Jim. I did and was really happy with the service he provided.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Why is it now at the impound lot?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Auto Transporters

This was discussed on another forum the OP is on.

The Buyer bought this to use the running gear on his car,
now because he tried to cut corners he is out a rare vehicle.

I talked to the new owner before he bought this car,
his budget for transport was below cost, I advised him
not to buy the car - I warned him it would be damaged
if he tried to have it hauled below cost.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #8
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Auto Transporters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Why is it now at the impound lot?
Once a car is sold - it is the responsibility of the new owner to arrange transport.

In this case - the car was damaged during loading & abandoned at a church
parking lot a few miles away - so it was impounded.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
Once a car is sold - it is the responsibility of the new owner to arrange transport.

In this case - the car was damaged during loading & abandoned at a church
parking lot a few miles away - so it was impounded.

Jim
Understood except for "... "she" had to leave it in the weather.....please retrieve the car. I did...in the wee hours of Christmas, i'm out in a downpour trying to get this carriage home." I read this as he brought it back to his home.

I guess it's just me, I would have brought it home, send the owner a certified letter describing what happened, give him XX days to come and get it then go to a judge to show it was abandoned and have him issue an order for a new title. It's mine again to resell. After all this is not a 1982 Buick. Does the impound yard know what they have? Will be auctioned or junked? Will the weather render it beyond restorable? Has the OP contacted the impound yard with an interest in knowing when it leaves the yard for disposal.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
Dodge

Well the good news is it's not an original 1901 Olds, it a repo probably made in the 1960's
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:44 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I would have removed the top and rented a small U Haul trailer to transport it. Not being an original, but probably one with a Briggs and Stratton engine, I wouldn't think the value would be enough to hire a professional mover.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Well the good news is it's not an original 1901 Olds, it a repo probably made in the 1960's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I would have removed the top and rented a small U Haul trailer to transport it. Not being an original, but probably one with a Briggs and Stratton engine, I wouldn't think the value would be enough to hire a professional mover.

How did I miss that? I guess I was right, it's only me.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:00 AM   #13
Bob-A

Cool Re: Auto Transporters

When I bought my '31 roadster in Virginia. I was told to make sure the shipper (I live in Florida) has insurance. I was amazed at the number of
shippers that gave me the "run-around" when I asked them to e-mail me
an up-dated copy of their insurance. The shipper I chose said "no problem" and immediately e-mailed me what I was asking for.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #14
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritznbud View Post
Certified check from Chase bank, cleared 12-19-15 and the buyer didn't think to insure it. I'm sure the fine, upstanding shipper will cover it... Good thing he bought it cheap. Bad thing he chose a rotten transporter.
Be careful of checks. A classic scam is the check is fraudulent but written on a good account. Your bank will clear it but if it ends up being a forgery weeks later. your bank holds you responsible for the funds. A certified check is not as good as cash. Same liability it could clear but end up being a forgery. People have also been burned with counterfeit cash. All transactions with unknown especially far away buyers should be done at bank with buyer and cash.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
Tinbasher

One of my eldests sons favour sayings was "Stupid Humans" It fits so many things.
JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #16
marc hildebrant

Where did the Georgia clay come from in California ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
denis4x4

As the name implies, Reliable is a great company with good drivers that know what they're doing. Shipping is the last place I'd try to save a buck.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
fritznbud

Thank you Jim for the reply and back-up. "how did it get impounded" We are a very small town, most people know each other. I have dealt with our local towing co. and know them well. They picked up the car from my property and put it in storage to prevent any further damage until the owner can arrange another shipper. The word impounded is what the tow firm puts on a vehicle in their possession until the bill is paid. RonC: the deal is done and the cash is in my hip. Arthur Godfrey was commissioned to reproduce these carriages in the '60's and very few are still around. They are an antique in their own right and worth $10K to $12K...in good shape.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #19
fritznbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Where did the Georgia clay come from in California ?

Marc
Good morning marc, have some coffee and another re-read.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
CarlG

When I bought my PU, I contracted with a local auto transporter. They made all the arrangements to have the vehicle picked up in San Diego, transported to Seattle, loaded in a Conex especially configured to haul vehicles, then shipped to Anchorage. Was very pleased with the job they did. I watched them unload it, along with several other high end cars.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote