Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: people answering questions

30 model A,
Bill will NEVER put you down or embarras you intentionally, if he happens to screw up, just get on his CASE! I know him pretty well.
When he used to screw up, Chief would tell him, "I buy you books, send you to school, and you're still STUPID! Bill won't do that! Bill W's Ghost.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
RcT

I think at one time or another, we have all taken a little bit of abuse from others, but generally speaking, this forum is far superior to any others that exist. The people are generous with their wisdom and may poke fun at one another, but are willing to share their knowledge and are a great bunch of gentlemen.

What seems to be forgotten sometimes is, I would guess, most of us simply have a two-car garage and some basic tools and that's it. Some of the "Pros" around here have full machine shops and all the equipment to do motor work, body work, painting, etc. I again guess most are on a budget and do not have the luxury of spendable cash for the hobby.

I see the point that 30ModelA is making, and being an old guy here, we do tend to mistake wisdom and knowledge and experience as license to talk down a bit. If I have ever done that to anyone, I apologize, as it was not intentional.

...and I would guess that goes for 99% of "us old guys" here.
Please, keep posting and asking. We all learn from the questions.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
'lilredcoupe

Send a message via AIM to 'lilredcoupe

As it goes, there's a few in every crowd. I'm new here as well, and have had no problems. However, I've read threads where questions are answered with crass retorts and so on. It won't take long to see who's who here.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
paying my dues, are you serious! we shouldnt have to put up with anything to use this site.
Lightening up a bit can be advantageous for both your immediate goals as well as your long term health. That response was simply a basic "lesson in life" that comes sooner or later. Fortunately as the youngest of five kids I learned it at a very young age.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #25
Dusty

Young people have got to understand the reason us ole guys talk down to them is because they are young. Young full of vigor and strength, able to leap tall building in a single bound while we can barely get out of our recliners.

I know this to be the truth cause my wife is older than me and she always talks down to me

I hate young guys
dusty
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #26
al's28/33

As with EVERYTHING in life............take it with a grain of salt. This forum and the men who voluntarily share their expertise and wisdom FREELY has been part of the reason we can all keep our "A"'s running. The experiences shared here cannot be found thru a book or other website using a search key and......SHAZAAM.......the correct answer appears before you. As with everything else in life, it comes down to give and take and trial and error. That's how the Model "A" was born!
I'm 42 and have so much more to learn, just remember everyone is different.

my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #27
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
im 30 years old and im a rare breed
News flash, you're not that "rare"! :roll eyes:
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #28
Brubaker

This thread demonstrates the beauty of the site. Wide range of ages(45 here), a little humor, advice metered out and a lot of knowledge(aka 'A' experience).
Sometimes when age is brought up in a thread it turns south a bit. It shouldn't matter. Treat all with respect(unless they're just asking for it) and if you don't have anything nice to say, hold off on tapping the 'submit reply' button.

Thanks to all that have shared their experience over the years and have put up with us newbies from time-to-time.

Now back to that oil question............
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #29
700rpm

"6500 are you crazy, i just payed 8k for a fully restored 30 model"
and
"are you crazy you couldve bought 5 of those with that money"

Would these be examples of rude responses?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #30
TD

I must say that I love this forum. I have received much good advice and help. I've received e mails,links, and illustrations as well as pass it on help from guys who just want to help. I never read into any of it and am glad to be a part of it all. I, in turn want to help back all I can. I love the banter when it squeaks in and share it with friends with smiles. It reminds me of the guys back in my old sea unit. Don't worry about the mule being blind - just load the wagon! We're all winners here.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #31
Cool Hand Lurker

Age has nothing to do with it. I was making my same smart arse remarks 60 years ago!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage View Post
I dont know as much as I would like to ,young guys cuz I have only been at this for about 35 or 36 years so bear with me, BUT I will DEFINATELY help you guys out when and if I can, Anything to keep this hobby going ya know? In the cyber world as with text messaging alot gets lost in translation so most people are not trying to be the assholes that they appear to be. Don't get me wrong this site and the HAMB has its share of douche bags but for the the most part the men and women on both sites are TOP NOTCH the D bags usually get weeded out sooner or later.The only thing the drives me up a wall is when someone uses the term RAT ROD HATE THAT FRIGGIN TERM. LOL

If a "work of art" has all the charm and value of a dead rat, wouldn't it be appropriate to call it a rat rod?

I wonder if there is any part that could be used as a patch panel for a real Model A.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #33
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

If a "work of art" has all the charm and value of a dead rat, wouldn't it be appropriate to call it a rat rod?

I wonder if there is any part that could be used as a patch panel for a real Model A.
Oh boy Tom,

You sure know how to bring back bad memories!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
columbiA

TOM,you provided me with the best laugh of the evening!While some of those RR,s have quite a bit of cash sunk into them,I sure wouldnt want one in my drive way.But there are so many facets to the old car hobby that one has to respect their respective interests. As for young A owners,I got my 1,st one at 15 &15 more A,s later I still love them at 74.When I was young I learned a lot from fellows that worked on them as new cars.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #35
pooch

Quote:
can i ask you guys on here why when someone needs info or ask questions about their car some guys talk down to us newer younger guest on here? im 30 years old and im a rare breed to own an original model A, most ppl. my age just want to cut them up. we ask questions on here for help in preserving these master pieces, not to be made out as a dumbass. think back when you veterans had your first car, im pretty sure yall have asked a question or two. all i ask is remember what this forum is for. i know there were millions of T's and A's made, but eventually they will be gone. so just give respect to ppl. trying to save these beauties
Would be so much better if you just quoted the post/s that offended you, so we could see if you are over-sensitive or not.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Oh boy Tom,

You sure know how to bring back bad memories!!!
Sorry Marco, I thought you had gotten over the pain of having sold it!!

Actually, It's so hidious that I thought I got rid of the picture some time ago, but I found it in Photobucket while looking for the ammeter pictures.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #37
Roadster62

I'm 61 and have been in the old car hobby since I was 10 years old. My main interest is in Pre WWII cars and motorcycles. There are "Old Car People" and Model A People. The fact that there is so much detailed info on A's vs. other cars has created far more "EXPERTS" than any other automobile. This has created a hobby within the hobby, a "Them" against us lookin in from the outside. Be careful how you post questions, and the dregree of "Restoration" finish you plan to to take your vehicle to. Behind closed doors judged, inclosed trailer transported "Show Car", or a drive it on Sunday family fun car. I've never felt welcome in the MAFCA, or MARC, but do know some normal people that are in it. It's a hobby, not a religion. Bob
Quote:
can i ask you guys on here why when someone needs info or ask questions about their car some guys talk down to us newer younger guest on here? im 30 years old and im a rare breed to own an original model A, most ppl. my age just want to cut them up. we ask questions on here for help in preserving these master pieces, not to be made out as a dumbass. think back when you veterans had your first car, im pretty sure yall have asked a question or two. all i ask is remember what this forum is for. i know there were millions of T's and A's made, but eventually they will be gone. so just give respect to ppl. trying to save these beauties
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #38
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Barely. how does one even fit inside? Is there a camera or periscope so the drive can see where they are going?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #39
Steve Wastler

That poor excuse for an automobile is real easy to get into, it doesnt have a drivers side door!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #40
pooch

Maybe in a 100 years when all the fossil fuelled vehicles are relegated to museums, this rat rod will be on display, much like art deco of the 1930/s?
Closed Thread