Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
37stake

Default Seeking information on this intake manifold

Seeking information on this intake manifold, year, carb used, etc? Curious about the small hole on left side and its purpose?

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (118.0 KB, 220 views)
37stake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Seeking information on this intake manifold

Looks like a circa 37 manifold to me. The hole is the heat riser; there is an exhaust passage that goes from between cyl's 2&3 and 6&7, up and through the intake manifold; this is known as the heat riser, its purpose is to heat up the incoming fuel air mix, to assist vaporisation.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Also that's a 60 hp motor. That hole must be blocked off if used with a 94 type carb or even a 92-81.It was made to be used with a Stromberg 81 carb only. Use of a ford-holley type carb will result in a burned out power valve in the base of the carb. [too much heat] . ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Also that's a 60 hp motor. That hole must be blocked off if used with a 94 type carb or even a 92-81.It was made to be used with a Stromberg 81 carb only. Use of a ford-holley type carb will result in a burned out power valve in the base of the carb. [too much heat] . ken ct.
Ken, I'm curious, how do you know that a 60hp engine? Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

NOT a 60 horse engine! 60 hp heads DO NOT have a stud situated directly above each spark plug as the head in the pic does. I too initially thought 60, because it almost looks too short in the photo to be a big V8. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Ken, I'm curious, how do you know that a 60hp engine? Walt
Ya' I wonder also considering that on the 60 hp the plugs don't line up with the upper studs.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Study the total length of the intake [it looks shorter than 85 hp one] I could be wrong. The statement concerning the blocking of the hole still holds wether 60 or 85 hp in any case if using a holly type carb.And it looks like someone used a holley type from the gasket impression on the manifold. ken ct. That hole in the manifold leads directly into the PV chamber on a holley or ford carb. Result burned out PV. ken ct.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
37stake

Here's another pic of the engine. This is a 37 truck with 24 stud heads; casting letter "A". Note change to fuel pump w/glass bowl. I don't know if this is the original flathead; not sure if 24 stud was being used in '37? As Ken stated, the intake appears to be designed to be used with a Stromberg 81. What years were the 81's used? If I were concerned about being 'correct', what other advantages to switching to an '81 from the Holley?

It's been a learning curve and a challenge gathering information on this '37 truck since I purchased from my dad 5 years ago. He purchased it at an estate sale and put it in the garage where it was parked for 19 years; untouched. The truck appears to be a California original; last registered in 1968 in a small farming community outside of Fresno.

I'm a member of the EFV8C and attended the Utah & Indiana National conferences; attended local chapter meetings for about 2 years and decided it wasn't for me. My best source for information has been here on the "Ford Barn"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2 (2).jpg (72.1 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by 37stake; 10-26-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

I think your intake is a '35 or '36 truck...high gen mount....Stromberg carb
only. This is not an application for an 81, too small for an 85 hp motor. A 97 seems
about correct. The 24 stud motor was introduced in mid '38 I think but it sure looks
good in that engine bay. If you end up using a 94 do not depend on a carb to
intake gasket to keep hot exhaust gases from attacking the power valve. As Ken
says that port must be plugged. An interesting mixture of parts...and they all look
good to me. OMHO.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
VeryTangled

37stake, Nice truck. One of these days I'm gonna have a flathead truck, I hope.

I'd like to pick up on your comment "I don't know if this is the original flathead..."

Our '36 has a 'period correct' engine with a tag as shown. I think changing the engine on one of these was a routine deal. Owners would get a swap instead of having theirs rebuilt, and rebuilds were needed much more frequently than today's engines. Shops had them waiting, and it was an in-and-out, like today's trip to a lube shop. Just my opinion, and because the number of the car is on the frame and trans so you can never tell, but I think there are very few flatheads (with over, say, 40k miles on them) in the same frame that left the assembly line.

Thanks for starting the interesting discussion. Once again I've learned a lot from the contributions of great 'Barn members. There sure are a lot of different intake manifolds out there!

-VT/JeffH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0074-1.jpg (61.2 KB, 13 views)
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
OLD...BILL

Hey 37: Looks mice....real nice, wish it were mine, ...BUT... you need a fuel flex line at the fuel pump input ..between the tank line and the pump...it is subject to vibration, and it will break at some time,,, please look up. Robert Shewman he makes pump hose for the flathead and he is one of us ...on the barn... E-mail [email protected]... I do not see a ph# in the ad in EV8Times ....OLD.... BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Charlie is right [I was wrong] it is a late 38 or newer 24 stud with incorrect 35-36 intake.Most likely from a truck [cast iron] 85 hp. The intake is correct for a 37 truck being it has that extra hole for heat along with a 97 Strom carb. OMO. ken ct.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
37stake

If I'm correct from what I'm reading, the engine is a '38 24 stud or newer, so obviously not the original engine. The intake is not correct for the 24 stud engine, but is correct for 37 truck with 21 stud.

With my recently re-built 94 carb and fuel pump (AC) from Ken ct, I decided to install them today. A quick trip to ACE Hardware for the brass plug and I was in business. (see pic) I trimmed a couple gaskets, complements of ken ct and installed the carb. Without going into details about the carb and Ken's findings, I DO NOT recommend purchasing a re-built carb from Mac's! Next was the fuel pump.

FYI Old...Bill, I also installed a new fuel flex line from Robert. Thanks for the tip though. (see pic)

Ken, as you said, the carb was plug & play, no adjustments required. The engine cranks right over; idles nice and smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (2).jpg (76.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (62.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 023.JPG (126.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
Mart

Glad you have it running nice. It's a good looking truck. I like the 37's.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #15
ken ct
BANNED

Glad its all straightend out and your a happy camper.The carb was a re-rebuild from I know who rebuilds and im surprised as his work is usually top notch. Thanks for the good words Jon.Happy trucking hope your Pop's proud of you. ken ct.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
louisb

Just wanted to say good looking truck.

--louis
louisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
El Rat

Nice truck. I'll bet it is an AB engine. Very common post war replacement. They used almost everything possible off of the original engine and plugged in the AB. Look on the back top of the bellhousing. g
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Walt Dupont--Me.

Well, everyone is guessing the year of the engine. It has (A) heads so I'm shooting for 40-41-42 of course those heads will any 24 stud block but has the have the valve pockets machined for clearance when using them on a 59AB block. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote