Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
zacklevine

Default A model ford

You guys think it would be possible to build an a model replica I'm quite skilled at fabrication and where I'm from it's hard to get your hands on anything prior to the 70s if possible could you point me in a direction of different parts and all I could design my self also should i build a frame or drop it on a say ranger frame?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
zacklevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
fordcragar

Default Re: A model ford

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? One of the problems I see with putting a Model A on a Ranger chassis is that nothing is going to fit. You might be better served checking in on the HAMB, where modifications similar to that are more common.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
ModelAMike1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacklevine View Post
You guys think it would be possible to build an a model replica I'm quite skilled at fabrication and where I'm from it's hard to get your hands on anything prior to the 70s if possible could you point me in a direction of different parts and all I could design my self also should i build a frame or drop it on a say ranger frame?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
You can find all kinds of model a's on ebay and craigs list
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

I would also like to know in general where you are from. That information would make the responses more meaningful. I would build a frame of purchase one from the street rod market. The frames are simple and can be seen here: http://wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/T...ram1928-31.pdf Trying to put the Model A on a Ranger frame would probably be a lot of work and not look good in the end. There are definitely a lot of reproduction parts but since this site is intended for original cars you should, as suggested in Post #2, go to HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ I think your best course would be to start with an existing car. Good Luck,

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Ernie Vitucci

You might want to take a look at a Shay (sp) which was a modern Model A built on a Pinto running gear and sold by Ford Dealers around the late 70's or early 80's. You see them in Hemmings quite a bit in the $12,000 to $16,000 range. They have Pinto engines, brakes and the rest of the updated running gear. Pretty cool actually. If you want to build from scratch, it might pay to start with an old Pinto. Good Luck either way you go. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

A better route for a more original car would be to go with Brookville. They make Model A Roadster, and Roadster pickup bodies. They make the frames for a standard Model A, but they also make a 32 frame that you can put a Model A Roadster body on.

One of the guys at the Early Ford Store in San Dimas, CA built a nice Brookville Roadster 4 banger. I saw a used 4 banger engine with a Winfield head there one time, and I think he used that engine although I didn't as him.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome and I believe that "the Model A Times" magazine did a series on creating a model A from parts from vendors. They added "modern" touches but it would be a start to contact them for back issues on the subject.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #8
JohnLaVoy

A few years ago Ford Motor Company had us build a Model A out of reproduction parts that were available. The roadster pickup in the picture was what we built, Brookville Roadster has this and other bodies available along with the fenders etc. So you can put these parts on what ever chassis you decide to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dennis Gage with RP013.jpg (93.1 KB, 44 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
ronn

I can only guess you are from Mars, so yes, might best be to fabricate from scratch.........

all kidding aside, buy yourself an original chassis/running gear and fabricate from there.
you will be so much ahead of the curve, even if you have to import it. they are everywhere on this planet.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Good Luck, "FRANK BUCK"!
Bill W.