Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
Bondolero

Default 32 Gas Tank Help stock or aftermarket

My 32 has a stock gas gauge and sending unit. I have laid under it with a mirror and also pulled the access cover under the back seat and still cannot view the top of the tank without dropping it. Anyway to id original or repro ?

If my gas tank is original, can it be modified to accept a modern in tank fuel pump ? Anyone done this ?

If an early 80's repro does it most likely have a 5 screw pattern for aftermarket gauges? or ??? Car was built in 85 and never had aftermarket gauges installed.

Trying to decide if I should purchase a new tanks inc unit and paint it before I drop the tank and disable my car.

thanks
Larry
Old 06-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 32 Gas Tank Help stock or aftermarket

An in tank pump is generally for fuel injection systems with much higher output pressures. The original carburetors used on early ford V8s only need about 2 psi so 25 or more psi would be way overkill. A lot of reproduction tanks have modern sender bungs. There are also adapter rings that attach to modern screw pattern and accept old style screw patterns but they are thick so they affect the float location in the tank. The old hydrostatic fuel quantity set ups are unique for the first few years of the early V8 Fords. Don't throw any of that stuff away since other folks may be looking for it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
DavidG

If your tank is original, removing the floor access cover will reveal the top of the tank where the original sending unit is located. In theory, you can remove the tank sending unit through that access hole in the floor. I say in theory as it depends on whether or not the access hole in your floor is at an angle (early body production) or parallel to the back of the body (all but early body production) and also whether or not the sending unit is oriented parallel to the torque tube (all but early fours) or at an angle to the right (early fours).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Kahuna

Larry
My guess is that you have an aftermarket tank in your car.
If so, and you want to pursue the in-tank fuel pump idea,
and you car is 12 volts, I would look at in tank pumps from
a 77 or 78 Toyota pickup.
I was interested in doing an in-tank deal on my 32, but received
the info re the Toyota pumps after I had finished the car. My
understanding is that the pumps are low pressure (not sure what
that means), but might be something to research. I liked the idea
of an in-tank pump for the reliability it might provide.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
rotorwrench

On fuel injection 20 PSI is low. High would be 40 to 60 PSI. A person would have to use the sending unit set up that is provided with the pump and have a gauge that will work with it on 12-volts.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

An in tank pump might work with a pressure regulator and a return fuel line. Then your going to have to figure out a sender/gauge setup. Seems like a lot of work when a simple external electric pump will work. As already stated, your only looking at 2 to 2.5 psi pressure.

Last edited by JSeery; 06-25-2018 at 03:59 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Bondolero

Thanks so much guys, I believe from your information my car has a repro tank since the sending unit connections are visible from the access hole but are bracketed to the edge of the tank and the lines travel back to the top to ??????

I should have mentioned my car was built as a hot rod in the 80's but is very original. It still has all original inoperable gauges. I want the in tank unit FOR FI. and modern gauges. I am sick of running obsolete carburetors on my cars. Spent tons on money on everything from strombergs, rochesters, and edelbrock to try to keep the car traditional and they are all stinky, hard starting, weeping, PsOS.
I knew you guys would be more in tune with original equipment and how to identify it.
When I remove the original gas sender, speedo, etc I will offer them here.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
325w

Going EFI won't you need a return line also. To simply things I'd do the tanks tank. You will have all you need to get fuel forward. A good original tank will sell to off set some of your cost. I removed my EFI and have been happy with the way the car performs. Has a 85 corvette EFI spec cam. Makes tons of vacuum.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote