Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
JpMotorsports

Send a message via AIM to JpMotorsports Send a message via Yahoo to JpMotorsports
Default Why cant I find an A???

I have been looking for a Model A for quite sometime now. I had a couple of possibility's but nothing ever paned out ( The sellers were truthful) I even looked at a 27 T but was talked out of it. I search craigslist, ebay, autotrader and the papers daily and havent found anything. I have looked here on the MAFCA, MARC and Ahooga sites as well. Is there any other publications I should look at? Anyone got a Model A in southeast MI they are trying to sell?

1972 OLDSMOBILE 442 CONVERTIBLE
1969 CHEVELLE/MALIBU- SOLD
2003 MONTE CARLO SS PACE CAR EDITION # 841 OF 1401- SOLD
JpMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
jkcrosson

Default Re: Why cant I find an A???

I would try Hemmings Motor News.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
ChicagoBob

Keep an eye on Craigslist in different markets, on eBay, and club news sites or newsletters. It takes time because everyone's desires are different, and the cars are available in such a wide array of body styles and conditions. One will appear eventually. Autumn is usually a good time to be a buyer of hobby vehicles. You'll be the one paying for winter storage.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
tuneman

Join a local club. They have all the first hand info on who is selling what and how much. Someone will be willing to go and look at it and give some advise . In my area we don't list in local papers for fear of a hot rodder getting them. they are sold mostly to other members of our large club.
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Why not got to Hershey?? Given the richness of the pickings there, the distance is not unreasonable for you. It will be teeming with A experts, too...maybe someone on this board who will be there might be willing to help you rate cars that interest you?
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
CarlG

Not sure why you can't find one on eBay, I see them there all the time. They have probably a dozen or more (unmolested) ones on there right now.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
CA Victoria

Go to the MAFCA website, look up chapters in your area. Most that have websites have a for sale page. Also can contact them by phone and get the word out too. The nicer ones will usu sell without advertising.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Jason in TX

I bought an A here on Ford Barn, one off eBay, traded a car for one I found on eBay, found one at a swap meet, another while visiting a friend and said to him, "This sure is nice.... I'd like to have one like it some day." He said, "How about today?"

I've also visited other people with lots of Model As who have offered to sell some of their spare cars that they don't drive anymore, but I wasn't interested in what they have.

You either don't have the money ready, or you want a 100 point show car, but not at the show car price or you aren't leaving the house or turning on your computer.

Do you get magazines like the restorer? There were a few decent looking cars in there, but I usually feel the price in autotrader and in the Restorer magazine is usually a few thousand higher than if you find the car by other means.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I've got a fairly nice late 31 standard tudor that is very dependable, doesn't leak a drop of oil and runs cool. It is two tone gray with red stripe and wheels. My wife doesn't like the tudor front seats and doesn't drive it. I've got too many model A's!!! I'm not really trying to sell it but might consider a cash deal just to make more room. I'm in south west Alabama.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
JpMotorsports

Send a message via AIM to JpMotorsports Send a message via Yahoo to JpMotorsports

I am part of the East Side A's club here in southeast MI. So far no one has any leads on a car but they are always looking. I have tried Hemmings and everything is out of my price range. I have about 7000.00 to spend on a car. It dosent have to be perfect. I just want a solid body and solid running A. I prefer a Tudor, Fordor or Pickup preferably a 28-29 but will be interested in a 30-31 if the car is right. Not really into the coupes, AA, roadsters ect. I am also trying to stay within the state. Do to not having a trailer or a tow vehicle and I def dont have the extra cash to have a car transported. I really want an A and I am not willing to part with my Chevelle to get a perfect A. The Chevelle is far to special to me to sell.

The car is a learner A and as I get more and more experience in these cars I can start to restore the car more to a higher class.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
MCHinson

You need to be realistic. You may have to wait a while and save some more money. $7,000 won't buy much Model A these days in my area. I know people who have spent more than that on something that needed a lot of work.

If you really want one, you might also be able to finance a purchase. If you are a member of a credit union, they usually have good rates and are easy to deal with. As a young poor police officer, I was able to borrow money from my credit union to buy my first Model A. I have borrowed money from that same credit union over the years to finance several antique cars.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
Go to the MAFCA website, look up chapters in your area. Most that have websites have a for sale page. Also can contact them by phone and get the word out too. The nicer ones will usu sell without advertising.
Also go to the MARC site (modelaford.org) and find local chapters. Decide how far you are willing to drive to look at a car (100 miles? 200 miles for a good one?) and ask the local chapters to put an ad in their newsletter. Most clubs will do this at no cost.

Be sure you don't buy one with poor mechanicals and a good paint job. I looked at one once that the owner thought a restoration meant a good paint job. He was selling it because it looked nice (and it sure did) but his wouldn't ride in at because it wasn't reliable.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-31-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

JpMotorsports .................
Have you tried the classified, right here on FORDBARN ?
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
hardtimes

You've 'painted' yourself right into a corner! Read your own words. McHinson is right, be realistic! When you find that seven thousand dollar car, remember the advice given by those here. Then think...another seven thousand to make it 'nice' .
You have the 'toys' that you don't want to get rid of to get something that will cost more than 7K. Then you limit your range to 'local' and your body style to certain models. Good luck with your hunt. Sometimes the hunt is part of the fun.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
tuneman

Takes $10,000 here in n.e. ohio to get something road worthy!!!
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
flatheadA

There's a 2 door sedan in Allendale on craigs list now,I think they want 6000.00.I haven't seen it so can't tell you what it looks like.Most of the A's I see are around 10000.00 to 12000.00 but you get in and drive them away.
mENNO
flatheadA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
JpMotorsports

I have seen recently people I know buy A's that are in the 7,000.00 range with good bodies and good mechanical s. I know they are out there. I would not finance a classic car for 1 I dont need one so bad I'd have to have to finace it and 2 why have an extra bill on something thats a toy?. Im not broke or anything. I paid cash for both the Chevelle and Monte Carlo I own. I just choose to have a price range of 7,000.00. (the little lady set it) Theres wiggle room there but the goal is 7000-9000 if the car is right. The car is out there I know it and I have seen them.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
JpMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
JpMotorsports .................
Have you tried the classified, right here on FORDBARN ?
MIKE

several times. nothing local yet

Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Wick

Check rufuss ranch...he can find you one. The cars are out there. A nice older restoration coupe in Richmond Va just went for $8000.00
On Craigslist use the words "project car" "model a ford" "rat rod" thats how I found 2 model T's. There out there,it takes time.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
junk yard kid

and just when you think youll never find one, or spend your money. therell be the perfect one down the street.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote