Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #21
marty in Ohio

Default Re: Which Model A for a coast to coast trip?

How about a coupe with a trunk? I mean a real trunk and not a box hanging on your rear bumper. Anybody know what percentage of coupes were built with a trunk verses a rumble seat?
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
If you were to set off on the adventure of traveling leisurely from coast to coast in a Model A, which version would you select?

I sure my 29 Sport Coupe is a poor choice for various reasons.

I’ve only owned roadsters and this Sport Coupe before. Could a wagon be a good choice? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff
Jeff, my choice would be to use what you have simply because you know what it is. I don't know how many passengers you are speaking of, but if more than just you, my choice would be to fabricate or purchase an old single-wheel trailer to haul a little extra gear. If you are unfamiliar with these type trailers, here are two links;

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123761

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58682

The typical space in one of these would not be much more than your rumble seat area sans the cushions. The cool thing about one of these is you can add some LED caution lights to the back to help you in more remote roads where the motorists will hopefully see you at a greater distance before they overtake you.

Also, the biggest reason why I would not build/buy something unique or special is because after the trip is over, that vehicle is not as versatile. Having something that you would use frequently after you return from your trip makes the Coast to Coast trip still stay fresh as you are telling folks of your adventure very time you are out in the car.

Also, I would make your Model-A as bulletproof as possible by limiting the amount of modern modifications that you make. IMO, you don't really need an overdrive transmission. If you slow down your average speed for the entire trip by 5 - 10 mph, it will likely only prolong your trip by about a day from start to finish. With the advent of internet, should you have issues along the way, chances are you(-or Fordbarn members) can find someone local to your break-down that will have parts & facilities to get you up & running. Therefore I would not carry a lot of spare parts that just add weight and slow down your car's performance. Again, the biggest asset I think you will have is you preparing the vehicle yourself where you know what the condition of each component is. If you have familiarity with each component, should something arise along the way, problem solving is much easier.

Just my 2 cents.......

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #23
Fairview

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I like the idea of using my coupe and increasing the storage in some fashion and the single wheel trailer. For those with a Sport Coupe, is the fabric fairly resilient in rainy weather? The thought of getting all that nice cloth soaking wet kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #24
LarryinWA

1961 my buddy and I drove my 29 std coupe from Los Angeles to Grand Rapids, Michigan with all of our college stuff crammed into the trunk. Went thru Yellowstone and over the Bighorn Mts in Montana. Didn't even have a screw driver or plier with us. Had great faith in my little coupe. Still have it too!
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I like the idea of using my coupe and increasing the storage in some fashion and the single wheel trailer. For those with a Sport Coupe, is the fabric fairly resilient in rainy weather? The thought of getting all that nice cloth soaking wet kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies.

As opposed to? Within reason, these cars kept their occupants dry back when new however even a Coupe/Tudor/Fordor is going to have fabric underneath its top material (rubberized leather), so if you get into a monsoon storm where the water can penetrate around the seams, you are going to get rain inside.

I don't know whose top you have on which may/may-not be the correct material anyway. Maybe spray some Scotchguard to help seal the inner liner fabric.

BTW, I believe Coker sells the tires for these single-wheel trailers as I think it was Cushman scooters that used the same size. The way these trailers attach to a Model-A is to remove the rear bumper clamps and fabricate a connector for the trailer that bolts thru the bumper. Then the trailer arms are heated and bent where they can be connected to the connector with a hinge pin.

Personally, I would re-work the trailer frame (-which is 2"x2" thin angle iron typically bolted together) just to be large enough to mount a Model-A era trunk on it, a Yetti cooler (painted the same color as the car), a small cookstove, a few tools along with extra water & gas cans. Something like 4'wide x 3'long. Having the ability to safely carry extra gas & water in the (mid)West probably would be good peace of mind for you. Maybe having an old Coleman cook stove to cook lunch at a roadside park (-boil water to heat prepackaged food) would be a neat experience. As far as lighting goes, I would use repro Model-A tailights with LEDs for your tail/brake/turn lights however I would find some of those small blinking LED caution lights that you see on construction company pick-up trucks mounted in the grille or rear bumper. That way when you are traveling in the more-dangerous areas, you have an alternate safety warning system.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #26
Dave in MN

My wife and I have traveled many miles cross country with our 29 Phaeton and hope to travel many more in our almost finished, still being tested, 31 S/W Town Sedan.

The best one to take is always the one that will get you there and then home without issues. So what Brent said. Take one you have rebuilt, know, trust and are able to repair as you go along.

Do the best job you can preparing for the trip (safety first...good lights/signals, brakes) and then, just go and take it easy along the way so you don't break it.

As far as getting wet...we do get wet in our Phaeton but it dries when the rain stops. It's all part of the adventure and in some instances, it is the adventure. I have said to my wife while reminiscing: "Remember the time we got caught in the down-pour in Kentucky without the side curtains installed? We both have a good laugh.
Have fun. Be safe!
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-08-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #27
w.michael

SPORT COUPE! Everyone knows the sport coupe is the most beautiful of the Model A's!

Gives you roll-up windows, but also a rear curtain you can open for hot weather. Remove the rumble seat cushions for luggage space (add a board so the luggage doesn't slide back and block the path of the rumble lid when you open it.) Make sure you have lockable handles on the doors and rumble lid to protect your stuff. Maybe add a small trailer as Brent suggested if you are going to take camping/picnic/cooking gear.
Wind wings would reduce the wind buffeting.

Sounds like fun. I'm jealous.

W. Michael
w.michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #28
Dale G.

I have a very nice mullins copy trailer for sale that would be ideal for your trip as I have pulled it across and up and down the country for years. See the for sale section here.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #29
Synchro909

My wife and I have done several trips over here in our Phaeton and we love using unsealed roads. I guess you will be on sealed roads so a closed car should be OK. We used the Phaeton because the small doors are less likely to fall off on corrugations. What ever body style you choose doesn't really matter. Just don't push the car too hard and it will take you to places you can't imagine. Watch the video link above. That German guy explains the bond you will develop with your car very well. It gives you plenty of time to contemplate.
We'd love to do another trip like you are planning.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #30
CHuDWah

Quote:

My experience, which may or may not be relevant:

Many moons ago, we had a 30 Sporty for which original top fabric was unobtainium. So we put on a canvas L-B top. I got caught in a downpour at a show. Top didn't leak but it did wick rain around the seams, resulting in some stains.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #31
Jim M

Roadster convertable would be my choice. There is a lot of room in the rumble seat that can obviously be covered and the Roaster gives a magnificant view!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #32
TerryO

Quote:
I just finished Tom Cotter’s book, so it has inspired me.

But Tom Cotter drives a Cobra... He has also toured without a top...
TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #33
Fairview

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
But Tom Cotter drives a Cobra... He has also toured without a top...
TOB
Terry,

This book I just finished reading is “Ford Model T Coast to Coast” published in 2018.

He did mention a trip in a Cobra though.

Jeff
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #34
TerryO

I didn't know he drove a "T" also, I'll have to find that book and read it. He has several cars. He even toured to Alaska in his Cobra. I think he has written several books. I have never met him but have read of his exploits several times.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #35
Richard in Anaheim CA

Fairview,

My wife and I did an 8 week trip around the country in our 28 Tudor some years ago. It was magnificent. We covered 40 states on that trip and now have driven over 100,000 miles on the old girl. Picture in Avitar was taken on that trip in Vermont.

You can do it in a totally stock Model A but a Snyder head will get you up Pikes Peak and lower noise and vibration with an overdrive makes a more relaxing trip. My second recommendation is a Fordor. They pack far easier than other models and the bench seat is more comfortable.

I love to talk, especially about driving Model A's. I have all the time in the world in my self imposed quarantine. Feel free to send me a PM and give me your e-mail address. We can chat.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:01 AM   #36
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
Fairview,

My wife and I did an 8 week trip around the country in our 28 Tudor some years ago. It was magnificent. We covered 40 states on that trip and now have driven over 100,000 miles on the old girl. Picture in Avitar was taken on that trip in Vermont.

You can do it in a totally stock Model A but a Snyder head will get you up Pikes Peak and lower noise and vibration with an overdrive makes a more relaxing trip. My second recommendation is a Fordor. They pack far easier than other models and the bench seat is more comfortable.

I love to talk, especially about driving Model A's. I have all the time in the world in my self imposed quarantine. Feel free to send me a PM and give me your e-mail address. We can chat.

Richard
Anaheim CA
R, We are already friends on this forum and I would not miss the chance to tell Model A stories about our travels too. I just don't remember who I have told what to so you might get some you have already heard.
As good as email is, I think Skype is better so maybe....? (problem: this computer does not have a camera but that is your good luck!)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #37
rosenkranswa

We've used a Town Sedan with a good trunk on the back for our longer trips. I wouldn't use anything with side curtains. A group of Model T's have done the coast to coast thing twice now in 10 years. If a T can make it, an A certainly can...

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #38
burner31

Role Amateur-built airplane
Manufacturer Pietenpol
Designer Bernie Pietenpol
First flight 1928
with Model A engine, May 1929[1]
Status Plans available (2015)
Unit cost
US$100 (plans only, 2015)
Variants Grega GN-1 Aircamper
Pietenpol Sky Scout
St Croix Pietenpol Aerial
St Croix Pietenpol Aircamper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300px-Pietenpol.air.camper.g-buco.arp.jpg (10.6 KB, 14 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkranswa View Post
We've used a Town Sedan with a good trunk on the back for our longer trips. I wouldn't use anything with side curtains. A group of Model T's have done the coast to coast thing twice now in 10 years. If a T can make it, an A certainly can...

Why not side curtains?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #40
Jordan

I have done it in both a town sedan and a coupe. Both had their benefits. The coupe is sportier, but there was a lot less room. The sedan has always been great to travel in. Plenty of room and very comfortable. The coupe goes faster, but the sedan is more comfortable with the extra room. Pros & Cons.