Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #21
Tudortomnz

Default Re: Car Stopped Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNLs1930 View Post
Why would you suspect the ammeter? Is this a common issue?

I also wonder why if the car is running should/would the generator output keep the car running? I'm pretty new to the Model A so not really sure about many things when it comes to the car and how it operates...

My ammeter only reads discharge but the batter never depletes so looking to replace it ASAP. I do think I need to adjust the generator but that is a task I'm still reading about; YIKES!

I see all the major parts suppliers carry what look to be similar products so any one ammeter better than the other?
Should explain ; I found the quote of original post somewhat amusing, 'foreign made ammeter'. As if everything outside US is cheap & faulty. Reality is problem ,as everyone suspects , is a cheap & faulty fuse holder. Cheers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #22
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNLs1930 View Post
Why would you suspect the ammeter? Is this a

My ammeter only reads discharge but the batter never depletes so looking to replace it ASAP. I do think I need to adjust the generator but that is a task I'm still reading about; YIKES
Originally the A was positive grd. Perhaps your battery is hooked up backwards or someone switched to negative grd and never switched the amp meter wires. The other thing when switching polarity is the wires on the coil. If it’s a positive grd, then the ungrounded wire from the junction box goes to the minus of the coil. There’s a cheap tester from the vendors that will tell you if the coil is correctly connected. It still runs, but it runs better if correct polarity.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

If the lights are turned on and the car is not running, the reading on the ammeter is negative, then the ammeter is wired correctly for polarity.

With the lights on, note the ammeter reading and then start the car, the reading should go positive from the non running reading. If it deflects positive, but not enough to show a + charging indication, the generator is not putting out enough - could be a simple 3rd brush setting in the generator. The brush adjustment is not difficult, ask if you need help. Repolarize the generator. Or the generator needs repair.

If the reading does not change when the motor runs, than check your Generator and Cutout Relay wiring, then possibly swap in a know good Cuttout relay, Repolarize teh Generator, then look into if your generator is working at all.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 03-26-2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typos, added info
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #24
DNLs1930

Thanks for the info:
Tudortomnz: O ok Got it.

Chuck Sea/Tac:

The car is verified to be Positive ground and I am sure the coil is wired correctly but will check to be positive. (no pun intended but...)

30 Closed Cab PU:
With the engine off turning the lights on causes the ammeter to discharge so as you suggest the polarity is correct. I will check for a more positive or less negative ammeter reading this afternoon.

I hope it shows a change towards positive and I can get on with the 3rd brush adjustment.

If it does not more towards positive I will start with those suggestions. (I did check all the wires for security and cleanliness but would be easy enough to remove and clean all the connection from the battery out into the engine compartment.

In regard to the battery I'm guessing the "positive" wire (ground) would be the first connection to remove.

If I disconnect the battery do I lose the polarization of the generator? I think not because of the ignition switch and battery disconnect would cause the polarization to drop each time it is cycled...

The whole +/- thing has me backwards so hoping it is that simple. 12v system remove the "negative" wire (ground) first.

OP sorry I will update this in a new thread.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #25
Robert/Texas

wrong post

Last edited by Robert/Texas; 03-30-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: answew
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #26
Robert/Texas

I finally was able to get back to my old fords but I unfortunately, I need to get back to Houston soon. I think that the ’28 roadster problem is with the cutout.

I pulled my ’28 open cab pickup next to my ’28 roadster so that I could make some voltage comparisons. Note that everything is working fine on the pickup. Nothing except for the starter works on the roadster.

The armature cutout connections on both cars show 6.2+ volts. The battery cutout connection on the pickup shows 0.10 volts but the same connection on the roadster shows 3.16 volts.

I plan to order a diode type cutout from one of the vendors.

Other advice and opinions are still welcome.

Thanks, Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote