Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
40ford

Default 40 Coupe Trunk Lid Bumpers:

I installed some new trunk lid bumpers on my 40 coupe trunk lid.They came from DC and are really thick.Do these bumpers press against the deck lid seal causing an indention on the rubber?I guess these bumpers only go on one way?
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 40 Coupe Trunk Lid Bumpers:

I thought that 40 Fords only used the rubber trunk seal that fits all around the trunk edge opening. Am I wrong?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
okiedokie

Mine do the same, make an indentation in the rubber seal around the opening.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
19Fordy

okiedokie, If possible please post a photo of those rubber pieces installed. Thanks. JIM
Do they look like this? Where do they fit?
http://www.macsautoparts.com/store/t...Product_Viewed
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
42merc

Yes, the bumpers form a recess in the rubber seal. At least on my '40.
I saw this question posted on the Early V8 site with only 1 response. I guess none of the usual three responders on that site own a '40.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
40ford

19Forty,that is the ones.I guess this is normal,but it sure don't look right!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
19Forty,that is the ones.I guess this is normal,but it sure don't look right!
I just went out and looked at my 40 trunk lid. I have had the car since 1963 and don't remember if I installed the trunk lid rubbers you see in the photos, but they are different than what has been posted. They may not be OEM. There is no black paint on the buttons from when I painted the trunk lid so I am assuming I installed THOSE buttons for some reason The actual "button head" below is about 3/32 inches thick and 1/2 in in dia. When the trunk closes these buttons do not touch the rubber trunk seal on the body. Instead, they fit just barely inside the trunk seal and come to rest on the little metal lip that projects inward from the trunk seal. It is the same lip that the trunk seal slides onto. There is no indentation in the trunk rubber seal. It does not seem logical to me that the trunk lid rubber buttons shown in above thread should come to rest on another rubber seal surface - namely the trunk liner rubber seal. Maybe someone who is 100% sure they have an OEM installed rubber buttons could post a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5316b.jpg (114.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9930B.jpg (51.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
40ford

19Forty,for some reason your trunk lid looks different than mine?Mine is a very early 40 (Oct. 1939).It looks like your bumpers are located in different place also.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I just went out and looked at my 40 trunk lid. I have had the car since 1963 and don't remember if I installed the trunk lid rubbers you see in the photos, but they are different than what has been posted. They may not be OEM. There is no black paint on the buttons from when I painted the trunk lid so I am assuming I installed THOSE buttons for some reason The actual "button head" below is about 3/32 inches thick and 1/2 in in dia. When the trunk closes these buttons do not touch the rubber trunk seal on the body. Instead, they fit just barely inside the trunk seal and come to rest on the little metal lip that projects inward from the trunk seal. It is the same lip that the trunk seal slides onto. There is no indentation in the trunk rubber seal. It does not seem logical to me that the trunk lid rubber buttons shown in above thread should come to rest on another rubber seal surface - namely the trunk liner rubber seal. Maybe someone who is 100% sure they have an OEM installed rubber buttons could post a photo.
The OEM bumpers (01A-7243800) were shaped a bit different than yours. These bumpers were only utilized on the convertible and coupe lids. On occasion, they will "crush" the weather seal a bit. I think it has to do with the lid fit.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
19Forty,for some reason your trunk lid looks different than mine?Mine is a very early 40 (Oct. 1939).It looks like your bumpers are located in different place also.
You may have a very early 1940 lid in which Ford installed a "left over" inner structure to the proper outer '40 lid skin. This happened albeit very seldom. It may also be possible you have a '39 trunk lid installed sometime during its life as a quick "repair / replacement". That happened very often.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
19Fordy

Kube makes a good point. My original 40 glass had 1939 and 1940 glass date codes. Who knows what else may have been "left over?"
Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
push_rod

Although my car is a "modified", it is an "early" which also had the October '39 date codes on the glass (Just like today, the "new" cars are released in September or October of the previous year.). The original trunk lid had the correct outer skin, but had the 1939 inner structure (no "X" support in the center). I wound up using the later style trunk lid (I found one in better shape than the "early" one that came on my car.). The deck lid bumpers do make indentations into the deck lid seal. I would guess they were added to prevent the lower lip of the deck lid from rubbing against the panel below it.
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
fordman

my '40 coupe is a nov. '39 and does not have the bumper location but is using the seal only.

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote