Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
pawnidad

Default newbie

I have never had a car like a model A,I am looking at one that is for sale in my area it looks like it is in very good shape,the owner has done a frame off restoration with pics and doc to prove it.My question is i'm not a mechanic, I do think i'm quite handy but how much work is required to keep a car of this age running,Just regular oil & grease jobs or is there a lot of mechanical issues with owning a car like this. I want to use the car for advertising my business in local parades and car shows.
pawnidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: newbie

Welcome. Any good car needs maintenance, and any 85-year-old car needs it more regularly. If the car is in good condition, maintenance is not hard work. But Model A's require special knowledge peculiar to the Model A. You can't expect to take it to just any mechanic or even Jiffy Lube for oil and grease. You need to learn what the car needs and when it needs it, and how to do that yourself. There are excellent books for learning this. I strongly suggest that before you buy a Model A, you 1) Join a local Model A club. 2) Buy some books from MAFCA or MARC, especially the Judging and Restoration Standards, and read them thoroughly. 3) Take a knowledgeable Model A person with you to inspect your potential purchase.

Also, put your location in your signup so guys close to you can help.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 05-11-2016 at 08:15 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Newbie,

I. Lots depends on, (not necessarily in this order):

A. The mechanical, electrical, and overall restoration ability of the person(s) who actually restored it; and,

B. The care for and attention provided to proper restoration details; and,

C. The integrity and knowledge of the seller with whom you are speaking.

II. Advice for a newbie:

A. Give the general location of the Model A because if near someone on this Forum or a Model A Club member, with Model A experience, someone may be able to assist you in deciding value, and take a guess at maintenance required for this vehicle.

B. After signing the papers, it is like getting married ....... you just signed for ... and got exactly what you got ....... no more .... no less ...... never good to rush into marriage .......... unless ......... she is rich and is a one of kind that would look good dressed in a potato sack.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-11-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Welcome. Any good car needs maintenance, and any 85-year-old car needs it more regularly. If the car is is good condition, maintenance is not hard work. But Model A's require special knowledge peculiar to the Model A. You can't expect to take it to just any mchanic or even Jiffy Lube. You need to learn what the car needs and when it needs it, and how to do that yourslf. There are excellent books for learning this. I atrongly suggest that before you buy a Model A, you 1) Join a local Model A club. 2) Buy some books from MAFCA or MARC, espcially the Judging and Restoration Guides. 3) Take a knowldgeable Model A person with your to inspect your potential purchase.
Welcome and what Ray said...where are u located? Maybe someone here can help..
These are very old cars and the last thing u need is to buy yourself a headache that u can't enjoy
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Most people won't put on enough miles to wear out a properly restored Model A. Just drive it with care, keep all the moving parts lubricated, adjust the brakes and clutch as they need it, and enjoy the drive. Using good gas without ethanol helps also.

Joining a local club is good advice. If this is the car you want, and at the price you like, then don't let it get away.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
KGBnut

I agree, let folks know roughly where you are so someone can point you to a local club. People are typically happy to help.

My Model A is a daily driver. I drive it a lot, mostly on weekends, putting about 2000 miles a year on it. I change the oil and grease her twice a year, adjust the brakes about once a year, adjust the points/timing about twice a year, and have put one set of tires on in the last four years. The point is, I find I have to do just enough routine maintenance to keep me happily tinkering a couple of weekends out of the year...and it is when I am my happiest. I really enjoy it.

I have had to do a few more major repairs; burned out valve; bad steering gear... Most I can do just myself and my father. I've never had to send it out to anyone.

As cars go...new or old... a Model A is pretty easy to live with.

Ken
Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Also, in thinking back from so many similar Model A questions/purchasing problems, most will agree to make sure that this Model A has a proper, easily transferable title to "your" name in "your" State.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
1930artdeco

Welcome, I would follow all of the advice given so far and here is my two cents worth. You say you are handy but not a mechanic. Well here is your chance to learn. It actually is not that hard, these are relatively simple cars but there are a few trick but once you learn them they easy to work on. Make sure you have a good set of tools (screwdrivers, wrenches etc.) you can get any special tools later on. Read Les Andrews books from MAFCA or MARC and make sure you join a club. You do those three things you will have a lot of fun with these cars.

Mike
Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

The amazing thing is that when you drive it around town, MOST folks don't really comprehend that it's an 87 YEAR OLD CAR ! MANY folks don't live that LONG! Many Hot Rodders are ENVIOUS of your ORIGINAL car!
Bill Old
Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
mshmodela

Ditto on buying something you can enjoy... I for one got a car a little over two years ago that had been restored --I figured get something that I can learn off of... Many folks here have more experience that my 52 years on this planet so listen to them...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote