Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
John Kennedy

Default Re: Meaningof the word 'restore'

<<< This will never be restored. It will, however, be rebuilt.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
Frank The Plumber

Why not just call them all builds, forget the fancy descriptions that just amounts to tail feathers, these cars are being used as tail feathers, only problem is tail feathers are used to attract ladies, there are no ladies lookin at this forum to be hoisting all these tail feathers, this should be a place for friendship not tail feathers and strutting, theres a lot of guys struttin and fluffin using words that irk, trying to find little differences in their cars and approach that make them just a bit smarter or better than the next guy. None of that is very important is it? This is supposed to be fun, don't most of you guys build cars to have fun? Do you sit down and say I only know this, this is all I know and build the same car again and again or do you look at each car as a fun adventure, a chance to do something new and exciting, a chance to school yourself and challenge what you know. If you are all worried about the definition of what you are doing and the rules of conformity within the group of your peers, you have lost it. If you can't look at any mans ride and appreciate his perspective and point of view, you have lost it. You have lost the joy, you are just going through the motions, hook a sharp left turn off of easy street and go totally against the grain of every thing you do and know and challenge yourself with a fresh new perspective.
You can call them what ever you want, all cars are rides. Common ground, you all have nice rides, thanks for showing them I love them all.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yes Mike, as I said, I struggle with that situation somewhat.

The whole point of language is agreeing on what words mean so we can communicate effectively, and hopefully with a minimum of explanation in most cases. As this kind of thread demonstrates, some people hold less to that notion than others. Often it's situational. If it's something important to them, they're wound up about it. If it's low on their importance scale, they treat it lightly.

Eons ago the CCCA enshrined a definition for a "Classic Car"................boy.....THAT one's been shot a long time ago in a BIG way. You can have all sorts of weird discussions about Street Rod, Hot Rod, and so on, even though the term Street Rod was coined by the NSRA and pretty rigidly defined.

What does "rust free" mean? To me it's become a regional/interpretive thing. To the desert Southwest guy it means there's no rust through anywhere on the car. To the upper Midwest guy it means he's throwing the rust in for free. It's all about context.

Us OCD types would like to have order and tightly understood/defined useage......reality is "it ain't gonna happen".
You and I are on the same page here.
It does in fact come down to communication. That's why there are dictionary's If folks choose to use a word outside its normal definition, trouble (poor communication) is certain to follow.

"Rust free" to me implies NO rust - period. It has nothing to do with locale, age, type of steel. It has only to do with is there rust or isn't there?
I drove to Pennsylvania a few years ago. About a 1400 mile round trip to look at a '40 that the owner swore had NO rust. Prior to my travels I asked very specific questions in regard to the known areas these cars rusted. "NO rust" I was told. I got there and the car was full of rust. The guys response? "What do you expect for a car that's 65 years old?"
What I expected was NO rust as I was told.

I don't mind learning and I don't mind sharing what I have learned.
What I do mind is folks that don't care to learn.
I believe it is both sad and somewhat comical that the USA does not utilize the Metric system first and foremost. Why? Because when the federal government attempted to get folks to grasp this system 9in the 1970's) it proved to be too difficult.
Too difficult? No... too lazy...
Once again I ponder just why it is the USA is so lacking in the world order vs. just a few decades ago...
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #24
Frank The Plumber

Hey Kube, I'm getting a degree in English, uses and function from the HAMB, I'm sure of it, every time I post there my diction is corrected and my posture checked, next week I am going to be fitted to wear a proper gentlemans derby hat. yuck yuck yuck. What the heck do we need a metric system for? Are we going to make something? I don't think you have a problem with terminology, eww big word, I think the problem is liars, 40 years ago if you drove 1400 miles to a guys house and he lied to you he would have a cup of his teeth as a gift, now he just stands there and giggles and chuckles, stinkin liar. Liars and dead beats need an OK to smack ruling, a tattoo on their fore head, I'm a stinky liar, I'm Ok to smack.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
Payne

Maybe I came from a weird background having been raised around cars my whole life, I'm 28, but if I was asking some on the Ford Barn's Early V-8 thread about "restoring" a car, it would be about restoring a car, as close as possible, to the condition the car was in when it left the River Rouge Plant. I was taught at a young age that there's a big difference between "stock" and "street rod", "N.O.S. (New Old Stock)" and "Original", "restored" and "resto-rod", etc.... It's just my opinion but if you're asking questions about what size 8-inch disc brake Granada rear end will fit under your early Ford V-8 car, you're probably in the wrong place. Shouldn't we be asking questions, and sharing our knowledge about the cars, parts, and technology used from the time when a 500 mile race in Indianapolis was still race of attrition and just finishing it under your own power was a victory in itself.
Payne is offline   Reply With Quote