Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
ndnchf

Default Just bought my first T!

I've been looking for a T that suits me for a couple months. Everytime I found one I liked it was either in Timbuktu, out of my price range or the seller changed his mind. But last week a '23 touring car came up locally by a respected member of the model T hobby who is retiring. I arranged to go look at it and was immediately smitten. While the body is best described as a nice driver, the entire drivetrain has been competely rebuilt and the car has been on many tours. It runs like a top and drives straight and true with no undo shakes, noises or other scary attributes. I was looking for a good driver, not a show car and this fit the bill perfectly.

It came home with me today along with a pickup load of spare parts, including a Ruckstell and Bill Tharp hydraulic disc brake kit. After I get it licensed I'll start learning to drive it on my quiet residential street. It only has the transmission brake (no Rocky Mountains etc) and parking brake. While I've had a model A before and other antique cars and motorcycles, I've never driven a T, so this is a new learning experience for me. For safety and confidence I am seriously thinking about installing the disc brake kit right away. I'm not a speedy kind of guy, I'm quite happy to putt along at 25-35 mph and I realize the disc brakes don't give me a license to fly, but I will feel a lot safer with them and so will my wife. I just joined the MTFCA and emailed another local T club guy to get connected with other locals.

I'd be happy to hear any advice and words of wisdom as I embark on a new adventure. Also, I'd like to hear from others who have installed the disc brake kit.

Here's a photos of it.
Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1002222.jpg (105.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg P1002224.jpg (91.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1002225.jpg (94.9 KB, 96 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Just bought my first T!

Where ya at??? The T trans brake is adequate as long as the differential thrust washers have been changed. ASK the previous owner or forever live in doubt! ws
Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
ndnchf

Yes I asked, the thrust washers were replaced with new bronze ones. All new bearings, axles and seals also. I'm in northern Virginia. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
John Danuser

is that Tony C. car if so you have a good one
John Danuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Danuser View Post
is that Tony C. car if so you have a good one
Yes - that is correct.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
oliverguy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
unless you live in an extremely hilly area, you don't need any extra brakes. They don't brake like a modern car, but as long as you take it easy they are fine was henry designed them. Very few cars back in the day had rocky mountain brakes.

More worry should be placed on modern cars running you over. A SMV sign is a good idea. Just my humble opinion after having one.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

For put rear whell brakes on the T. It a must if you are going to put the Ruckstell in the cat. I like the 3 to 1 gears in the rear with a Ruckstell. Join a local Model T club and get the fellows to help you. Looks like a nice car. Wit a T you never stop learning when you have a T.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
CharlieB

The thing's in it's own world thats for sure. Learn in unpopulated roads if possible. You need to think in a T about what's coming up next. Some advice: Don't ride the pedals for long periods. Especially low gear. If on a long pull let it up now and then so it gets lubed. Don't "slip" low gear. Get it moving (like a clutch) the hit it down advancing fuel as you go. Slipping & riding the pedals causes band wear. Use the engine to slow down when coming to a stop (slowing it it high gear) then tapping the brake to stop completely. If your garaging it always pull into the garage with the hand brake lever in the neutral (half way back) position. Don't ask why I recommend this! People will tell you "drive like you have no brakes". Right. Try getting used to that one. Here's some news: you'd better learn to! Until you feel secure, until it's second nature driving it stay out of traffic. Not everyone out there is a moron you're just in the way. Like that back hoe with it's 4-ways flashing going flat out screaming at 35 MPH. They just want to get by.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
CharlieB

Oh and keep the speed down!!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
A bones

Great times learning to live in a T. I always like to reccomend, get hold of a copy of "The Model T Owner" by Murray Fahnestock. Try amazon .com. Murray does swell job of helping you see the "T" in the eyes of an expert, going back to the day when they were just called Fords. Enjoy your day!
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
...Don't ride the pedals for long periods. Especially low gear. If on a long pull let it up now and then so it gets lubed.
.... If your garaging it always pull into the garage with the hand brake lever in the neutral (half way back) position...
i hope you meant letting up on the brake peddle to let oil get in it, Sounds like a bad idea on low peddle. As for the handbrake i thought you either left it on or left it all the way off so the clutch spring would have less pressure on it?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
CharlieB

Suppose you're in traffic for instance. You don't have to sit there with your foot on the pedal if the handles 1/2 way back. Pulling into the garage for a beginner it's easy to hit the wrong pedal. Believe me, I've been there. You park with the hand brake on. No? Doesn't effect the springs operation at all. If you keep your foot on the pedal constantly in low gear on a long pull you will, without a doubt, fry the band lining. The only exception to this is if you're standing still with the foot brake on. Of course nothing's turning at that point so no band wear occurs. Releasing the low and brake pedals while pulling or stopping will greatly increase band life and time between adjustments. Same is true for a long reverse pull if that's ever necessary.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
ndnchf

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I appreciate your insight and comments.
Steve