Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
flatjack9
Senior Member
 
flatjack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oshkosh, Wi
Posts: 3,672
Default Isky cam

Had a customer bring in an Isky Max 1 for his engine. Opened the box and no timing tag. I suppose they want you to trust that the cam is ground correctly.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Dave/Green Bay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 342
Default Re: Isky cam

Jack: Had a new Max1 for my engine. When we installed with standard cam bearings the can rattled around. Cam was 10 under on the bearing surfaces. Check carefully. Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Charlie ny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Isky cam

Dave, Jack,
The same thing happened to me only with a Winfield cam. PERMABOND

in Nevada or Utah sells under size cam bearings . A really great resource. Once
installed I had a crank grind shop grind the journals to fit.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
42merc
Senior Member
 
42merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buchanan, MI
Posts: 595
Default Re: Isky cam

I believe Jack is asking about timing events rather than journal size.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
flatjack9
Senior Member
 
flatjack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oshkosh, Wi
Posts: 3,672
Default Re: Isky cam

I found timing specs in the Tilden website. It appears to be properly ground and the cam journals are in spec.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 753
Default Re: Isky cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I found timing specs in the Tilden website. It appears to be properly ground and the cam journals are in spec.




Cam specs are one thing put it in the block and check timing events then let us know what you find. Good luck
Ronnieroadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
flatjack9
Senior Member
 
flatjack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oshkosh, Wi
Posts: 3,672
Default Re: Isky cam

I did. I have a spare block on my workbench that I use to check all my cams on. I do a complete plot of both the intake and exhaust lobes.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 753
Default Re: Isky cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I did. I have a spare block on my workbench that I use to check all my cams on. I do a complete plot of both the intake and exhaust lobes.



Finally there getting it right. The last one i worked on a few months ago was off by 9 degrees.
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
glennpm
Senior Member
 
glennpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wiscasset, Maine
Posts: 805
Default Re: Isky cam

Here you go. I have a Max 1 and got this card with it many years ago. I have also posted this on this site a few times.


Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isky Max 1 Specifications.jpg (51.3 KB, 38 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
RalphM
Senior Member
 
RalphM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 2,413
Default Re: Isky cam

So I was looking at degree wheels on line, prices, and sizes are all over the place. What would be a good universal wheel for flatheads?
I have dial indicators, so I only need the wheel. And the knowledge of how to use it.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 753
Default Re: Isky cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
So I was looking at degree wheels on line, prices, and sizes are all over the place. What would be a good universal wheel for flatheads?
I have dial indicators, so I only need the wheel. And the knowledge of how to use it.



You can use any degree wheel available all thats needed is the center hole in the wheel needs to be large enough for the crank bolt diameter. You may need to make some type of adapter to hold the wheel on center once you have it but thats relatively simple. The steps needed to degree the cam is not extremely difficult but it will take some time to get a feel for it. One important detail to remember is your checking the timing events with zero valve lash. Now some would say to check the timing event at the lifter thats ones choice however checking the actual valve movement event will show you exactly whats taking place and is much easier than trying to indicate off the lifter. Also another detail I find helpful use a very light spring to hold the valve and retainer together. The spring helps the valve on the closing side of the event follow the cam lobe. Doing all of this is best performed on the engine with just cylinder number ones piston assembly installed {i do it with no rings} and only the valves in cylinder number one. Usually when i do this on any engine it takes a number of days work checking and then correcting the cam position. Its not one of my favored jobs but its worth the effort.
Ronnieroadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #12
Gary troxel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gary Troxel, Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 16
Default Re: Isky cam

Hey Dave we thank you for that ! Ha, Ha, Ha
Gary troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
deuce_roadster
Senior Member
 
deuce_roadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shelton, WA
Posts: 2,614
Default Re: Isky cam

And, if you are used to working with cams that have a timing chain---the flathead goes the other way due to the gear, IE opposite the crank. I know one person who forgot about that and it drove him crazy trying to check the flathead cam!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #14
flatjack9
Senior Member
 
flatjack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oshkosh, Wi
Posts: 3,672
Default Re: Isky cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
You can use any degree wheel available all thats needed is the center hole in the wheel needs to be large enough for the crank bolt diameter. You may need to make some type of adapter to hold the wheel on center once you have it but thats relatively simple. The steps needed to degree the cam is not extremely difficult but it will take some time to get a feel for it. One important detail to remember is your checking the timing events with zero valve lash. Now some would say to check the timing event at the lifter thats ones choice however checking the actual valve movement event will show you exactly whats taking place and is much easier than trying to indicate off the lifter. Also another detail I find helpful use a very light spring to hold the valve and retainer together. The spring helps the valve on the closing side of the event follow the cam lobe. Doing all of this is best performed on the engine with just cylinder number ones piston assembly installed {i do it with no rings} and only the valves in cylinder number one. Usually when i do this on any engine it takes a number of days work checking and then correcting the cam position. Its not one of my favored jobs but its worth the effort.
Ronnieroadster
I install an adjustable lifter and adjust it so the valve does not seat. Easy to indicate off the top of the valve. Also, the bigger the degree wheel, the easier to read.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.