Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
qmdv

Default Flathead Engine Shops

There is a thread about Flathead City and complaints about it. One person from Ohio and one from Alaska. Not really sure why folks think that they have to have their engine built by somebody that has a web site that states they know so much about flatheads. They have convinced some that only a flathead guru is capable

Am I missing something here. There has to be an engine machine shop in Ohio someplace where you can drive up, drop off an engine and have your work done. These things are not rocket science.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: Flathead Engine Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
There is a thread about Flathead City and complaints about it. One person from Ohio and one from Alaska. Not really sure why folks think that they have to have their engine built by somebody that has a web site that states they know so much about flatheads. They have convinced some that only a flathead guru is capable

Am I missing something here. There has to be an engine machine shop in Ohio someplace where you can drive up, drop off an engine and have your work done. These things are not rocket science.

I agree with you on the web site etc. However when I moved to Tucson five years ago, I didn't know any flathead people and I wanted to add adjustable lifters as part of my 59AB rebuild. So, to find a machine shop with flathead experience, I joined the Regional Group here and asked around as to whom they used. Worked like a charm....found out that there needs to be some guys in the shop that look like me.....no hair and long in the tooth!!....but that have done a lot of flathead work in the past.

JMO
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
I agree with you on the web site etc. However when I moved to Tucson five years ago, I didn't know any flathead people and I wanted to add adjustable lifters as part of my 59AB rebuild. So, to find a machine shop with flathead experience, I joined the Regional Group here and asked around as to whom they used. Worked like a charm....found out that there needs to be some guys in the shop that look like me.....no hair and long in the tooth!!....but that have done a lot of flathead work in the past.

JMO
Yeh. Somebody nearing retirement
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
Dave/Green Bay

Contact Flatjack9 here on the Barn drive to Wisconsin and get exactly the Flathead motor you want. Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

If you're talking about Ohio . . . just get in touch with Jeff Fowler at Fowler Engines - he does all my engine machine work (and some very complex stuff - beyond this conversation). He builds engines for people all over the world - everything from vintage Stutz engines, to the best of the best for blown-alcohol Hemis' . . . to all the goofy stuff that us banger and flathead V8 guys need. 614-258-2924

I've had engine machine work done by many different outfits - Jeff and crew are as good as I've seen and they will tell you the "truth" at times - even if you don't exactly want to hear it! LOL

Give Jeff a call . . . tell him Buckwheat sent yah . . .
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Having actual flathead V8 experience (lots of it), having the necessary tooling (especially for the top-end) and having a mentality that there is always something to figure out, always a problem to solve, etc - that is what you're looking for. If helps that the shop has more grey hair (or no hair) than not - and have been doing this for decades - because nothing trumps experience in the end.

We ALL learn by mistakes . . . it is nice for them to be in the past - and not on YOUR ENGINE. LOL

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 08-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Terry,OH

In North East Ohio (Cleveland) Pritchard Engine and Tool.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote