Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Ed Saniewski

Default Rear Axel Magnitized?

I took the rear axle apart on my 31 T/S, and found the two pinion bearings broke apart. The ring and pinion were both damaged and no longer usable so I am going to install a 3.54 set. When I had the axle shafts apart in the parts cleaner, I pulled each one out and discovered they were magnetized and had attracted the metal shavings and pieces from the bottom of the tank. How could they get magnetized? Has anyone else ever had this problem? I would like to reuse them, as they are in nice shape. But I am afraid that any metal that might start to wear off the gears will be attracted to them instead of falling to the bottom of the banjo.Thanks for the help, Ed Saniewski.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Rear Axel Magnitized?

Any metal with iron in it's composition, has some magnetism in it. If you want to see this, place a pocket knife near a compass and the magnetic north will follow it.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
brokenspoke

I read somewhere where you use a gowler (sp) to demagnetize the axle shaft...
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Patrick L.

It happens at times,, I've never seen an axle do it though.. Someone in your area may have a degausser especially if you spend time around an airport..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
I read somewhere where you use a gowler (sp) to demagnetize the axle shaft...
This is what I would use to demagnetize the axles. Lay the flange end in the V of the growler, turn it on then slowly drag the axle off sideways, but when you get to the inside end make sure it stays centered between the V as you slowly lift it away. Once you're about 6" from the growler just move it away. I use this same method to demagnetize screwdrivers.

To magnetize a screwdrive hold the tip on one of the sides of the V of the growler and turn the switch on and off quickly. If the screwdriver won't pick up a screw easily then try it again. You have the magnetism changing at 60 cycle and you are trying to turn off the growler at the peak of one of the cycles for the most strength. It might take a few tries to luck out and get the growler switched off at the peak of the cycle.

I would add a small rare earth magnet to pick up any metal. They fit nicely into the pockets on the tranny fill and drain plugs, but you might need to drill the rear end plug to fit the magnet, or find a spot inside the housing.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
kenparker

Hi Ed, First, i need your email address. Send it to [email protected].

Now for the meat of this thread. The High Speed Rear End, as in the 3.54, adds approximately 6-7% to the rear end ratio over the standard 3.78 rear end. Add the 6% to the 26.7% of the F150 OD transmission and your final drive ratio is now 32.7%. That is a high ratio for a heavy 4 door TS. just my personal opinion. Might work fine in the flatlands, but, in the hills and mountains ??????????.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
When people clean up old farms they load all the scrap iron and model A parts on a big truck or trailer and take it to a scrap iron recycle yard and sell it. Many recycle yards use large magnets on cranes to unload the scrap iron. Pickers go to the recycle yards and buy the model A parts by the pound and take them to swap meats and sell them. I have seen crankshafts cams and axles that had so much magnetism you could pick up large wrenches with them. I use a paper clip hanging on a string one foot long to check all parts for magnetism. A growler works good to remove the magnetism.
1930coupe,
Those unloading magnets at "THE IRON HEAVEN" are STRONG! Friend, Ron was discussing the strength with the magnet guy, he dropped it on the metal floor of the empty truck & lifted the back of the TRUCK!!!---WHOA! WHOA!! Bill W.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
If he lifted the truck with the magnet the axles will be magnatized which will cause small metal particles to stick to the gears and bearings and cause rapid wear.
1930coupe,
Ron should then take his truck to Australia/New Zealand & get it magnetized the opposite, then the particles would stick, harmlessy, to the insides of the axle housings & Case!! Bill W.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
P.S.

Is there a drain plug for the rear axle with a magnet in it like the one for the oil pan?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Is there a drain plug for the rear axle with a magnet in it like the one for the oil pan?
P.S,
They're most likely easy to find, since they are a common 3/4" pipe thread. Bill W.