Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #1
Fordguy1964

Default New Member New car

I picked up a 41 Ford Deluxe Sedan over the last weekend. Of course it has been redone a few times by people with less than great skills. So I will be needing to repair some things that they have done. It looks great at about 20 feet but get close and you start to see the problems.

Since I am new to this (cars this old) what should I be on the lookout for on this model? I am very mechanical and have done MANY frame off restorations/restomods. I do all work myself from body, chassis, paint, engine, you name it. Here are pictures of my new toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0816191522a_resized.jpg (40.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 0816191522_resized.jpg (48.8 KB, 177 views)
Fordguy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
Fordguy1964

Default Re: New Member New car

I tried to post more pictures but for some reason it's not letting me. Could be due to new member restrictions?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy1964 View Post
I tried to post more pictures but for some reason it's not letting me. Could be due to new member restrictions?
No. There aren't any restriction on how many photos you can post. Maybe if you try to resize them.

The flathead engine will be the most crucial component and likely require the most attention of your new car.

Make sure the ignition system is operating at 100%. Coils can be rebuilt by Skip Haney. The distributor will benefit from being set up and timed on a Sun distributor tester. The fuel pump will likely benefit from an ethanol resistant diaphragm and your carburetor at some point will need an ethanol resistant rebuild kit from Daytona Products.

Make sure the cooling system is 100% efficient. In other words the radiator tubes are clean and unobstructed and your engine block isn't full of rust/crud/mud. When a flathead can effectively cool itself, it's most happy.

If your ignition system is up to speed the flathead will start with no problems. A good efficient cooling system will ensure many trouble free miles.

There are a lot more items to discuss but if the car is running well to begin with, you'll be happy and more inclined to continue your early V8 journey.

Laastly, I recommend you join the Early Ford V8 Club. There are lots of members here that are willing to help you. Also, their national meets are a lot of fun. I'm 39 years old and enjoy the heck out of V8 Fords.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Fordguy1964

https://youtu.be/cA8fPUiND2I

Here is the first start.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Welcome to the Barn! Cool car!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
Fordguy1964

Here is the interior shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior.jpg (69.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Fordguy1964

It says it is a Deluxe but shouldn't a Deluxe dash be sand colored? I know this has all been changed over the years and has been repainted. What I am asking is what color should it be to be correct?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
Fordguy1964

I am VERY familiar with Ford Fairlanes 62-65 and know them inside out. On those cars there are parts that are made of "unobtainium". What parts on my car should be treasured and cared for like gold? I don't want to go ripping into something to find later that the little thing that I carelessly broke was the one thing that I should have sacrificed the parts around it to save.

Thanks so far for the help.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
corvette8n

Nice car, what are your goals for this? Do you want to restore it to look like the day it left the showroom?, or fix what need to be fixed and drive it as is.
I would probably try to find some trim pieces to keep as spares, other than that there are still a lot of '41 parts cars out there. Most of all enjoy it. What part of the country are you in?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Fordguy1964

I am located in the Cincinnati Ohio area. I am looking for a piece of trim between the upper and lower fender sections on the passenger side front fender. You will note in my picture that it is missing. My plans currently are to drive it as is and maintain and fix what is broken or poorly put together by the previous owner. Long term goals change so much I am not sure. I had originally started the restoration of my 64 Fairlane to just fix a few items and it turned into a rotisserie rebuild. I am more of a purist than a performance type. But I will admit that I do like the creature comforts... but that isn't what THIS car is about.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
Mart

Looks like a great driver, a fun car. don't sweat it, wait until something breaks and then fix it.

I'd just make sure the brakes are in good order, the radiator and cooling system is good and the fuel tank isn't full of anything horrible and drive and drive.

You shouldn't have much problem finding parts. The Barn will be a great help for any questions you have. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here.

I enjoyed the video.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

The Early Ford V8 Club of America has books on the different years that describe what is correct. Go to their website and purchase the book that covers your year. That would be a big help I would think.
Being that you do body/paint work, there shouldn't be any surprises in that realm. Perhaps there is a Regional Group of the EFV8 club in your area you could join. If you add your general area where you live there might be another Fordbarn person who could also assist you or let you know who the local experts are.
Welcome, you will find a lot of good info here.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
41Joe

Welcome to the Barn. Very nice 41.
The 41 is a special car. As for special parts, that dash trim piece can be hard to find. At least in one piece or the diecast piece. You can get it in two separate pieces, but I personally don't like the way it looks. I believe all the trim was the tan color. That was the natural molded color for the plastic. If you have the diecast piece, don't get rid of it. You can sometimes find the fender trim on eBay or Craigslist or maybe another member. Its one of those parts you have to search for.
Does it have the V8 or the straight 6?
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
Fordguy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Joe View Post
Welcome to the Barn. Very nice 41.
The 41 is a special car. As for special parts, that dash trim piece can be hard to find. At least in one piece or the diecast piece. You can get it in two separate pieces, but I personally don't like the way it looks. I believe all the trim was the tan color. That was the natural molded color for the plastic. If you have the diecast piece, don't get rid of it. You can sometimes find the fender trim on eBay or Craigslist or maybe another member. Its one of those parts you have to search for.
Does it have the V8 or the straight 6?
Which dash piece are you referring to? The bezel around the gauges?

Mine has the V8.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
LuckyFordGuy

Welcome to the barn nice car I love
LuckyFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #16
41Joe

The long piece that goes across the dash. And actually the instrument cluster can be hard to find.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
Fordguy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFordGuy View Post
Welcome to the barn nice car I love

Thank you! Good to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Joe View Post
The long piece that goes across the dash. And actually the instrument cluster can be hard to find.

Thank you.

Is the fender trim I need (passenger side front fender trim) Interchangeable from side to side or is it side specific?
Old 08-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #18
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy1964 View Post
Thank you! Good to be here!

Thank you.

Is the fender trim I need (passenger side front fender trim) Interchangeable from side to side or is it side specific?
Side specific
Old 08-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #19
cmbrucew

My deluxe had woodgrain dash and mouldings.

Bruce
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
Fordguy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Side specific
Not the answer I was hoping for but thanks for the information.