Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
ricsvic

Default thermostat replacement

I had my radiator out of my 41 (stock 59ab), got it back in, cranked it up, ran fine, no leaks but then it started to smoke on one side. shut it down and the radiator boiled over. It was really hot, more on the one side then the other. I suspect a frozen thermostat. I don't know how to replace them. Could one or more of you gentlemen give me some ideas. thanks in advance. ricsvic
ricsvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: thermostat replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsvic View Post
I had my radiator out of my 41 (stock 59ab), got it back in, cranked it up, ran fine, no leaks but then it started to smoke on one side. shut it down and the radiator boiled over. It was really hot, more on the one side then the other. I suspect a frozen thermostat. I don't know how to replace them. Could one or more of you gentlemen give me some ideas. thanks in advance. ricsvic
Drain it, loosen off the hose clamps where the hose connects to the head outlet, pull the hose away from the head, the thermo just sits there on the head outlet, held in place by the hose. Test the new one first in a pan of water on the stove to make sure it does work. Also ensure it is the right way up when installed!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Old Henry

Here's a picture of how the thermostat should sit on the neck with the hose off. You can see the very thin wires I put through my thermostat and drape down the neck for the hose to clamp onto so that the thermostat doesn't get pushed up by the pumps, turn sideways, and quit working. Some just put an extra hose clamp above the thermostat to hold it down. That way is fine too if you don't care how it looks.

The thermostat shown is a Stant 14157 thermostat that I use. It is available on line many places including Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C822YC or at NAPA part number THM 111, or at O'Reilly that sells the same stat as a Murray 4157, O'Reilly part number 2962. To learn why I use that thermostat read this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113366

For more detail about installing the thin wires to hold the thermostat down go to this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118305 and read my post #12.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-30-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Old Henry

When you get your thermostats out you might want to test them in a pan of water on the stove to see if they really are the problem. May be that they work fine and you have a different problem.