Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Phil Gillespie

Default 1946 Mercury/Ford Dash Light Switch Removal.

Have a 1946 Mercury NZ which has the 1941 style dash set up.
Having problems in removal of light switch. How to remove the chrome light switch off shaft to remove switch? Have the knob turning on shaft but cant remove?

Think light switch may be faulty.
1: Off no lights.
2: Park lights and dash lights work but no rear lights.
3: Main lights work no rear lights. no dash lights.

Appreciate assistance.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
51woodie

Default Re: 1946 Mercury/Ford Dash Light Switch Removal.

Phil. Best thing to do is get your volt meter and start checking various connections to determine if the problem is the light switch. Assuming your Merc is similar/same as my 46 Ford, and the light switch is the same, there is a small slot (see pic) on the top of the switch on the dash side of the connections where you need to insert a small screw driver to release the switch pull. Push the release back towards the connections, turn the knob to the right 90 deg. then pull on the knob. It should come out. It is a challenge as it is in a tight spot and mostly done by feel. Once the pull is out, a small pair of needle nose pliers can be used to catch the notches in the switch mounting nut to remove it. The switch can then be lowered below the dash to do testing. I included some wiring diagrams in case you dont have them. If not clear, send me a PM with our email and I can send you the documents via email.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1595.jpg (25.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1594.jpg (31.2 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring Dia - Colors.pdf (37.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf TABULATION WIRE CIRCUITS.pdf (69.7 KB, 13 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
supereal

Just take off the screws holding the dimmer and lift it up from the dash. These dimmers are a main cause of problems. Since the dash lights are not so bright as to cause problems, we just connect the two wires to the dimmer together and leave the dimmer in place.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
51woodie

Super. Would a bad dash light dimmer switch cause the tail lights to not work? I had to repair mine because the dash lights didn't work, but it didn't affect the tail lights.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Phil. Best thing to do is get your volt meter and start checking various connections to determine if the problem is the light switch. Assuming your Merc is similar/same as my 46 Ford, and the light switch is the same, there is a small slot (see pic) on the top of the switch on the dash side of the connections where you need to insert a small screw driver to release the switch pull. Push the release back towards the connections, turn the knob to the right 90 deg. then pull on the knob. It should come out. It is a challenge as it is in a tight spot and mostly done by feel. Once the pull is out, a small pair of needle nose pliers can be used to catch the notches in the switch mounting nut to remove it. The switch can then be lowered below the dash to do testing. I included some wiring diagrams in case you dont have them. If not clear, send me a PM with our email and I can send you the documents via email.

Thanks so much for all that info. Especially the method to remove switch.
I have a large laminated wiring diagram by Classic Car Wiring. Very clear and color coded. The supply to rear lights is common with dash lights and dimmer. may try the easy option first with by pass dimmer as the lights are dim anyway and hardly need the dimmer.
Its a shit of a spot to try to work on and switch removal would make access easier.
Thanksso much.
Phil NZ
Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
...may try the easy option first with by pass dimmer as the lights are dim anyway and hardly need the dimmer....
Phil NZ
If it's anything like the Ford dimmer switch, the gauges are distinctly visible to the naked eye at its highest setting. I bypassed mine long ago.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Just take off the screws holding the dimmer and lift it up from the dash. These dimmers are a main cause of problems. Since the dash lights are not so bright as to cause problems, we just connect the two wires to the dimmer together and leave the dimmer in place.
So I removed dash light dimmer switch and that was my problem. Found the contact on rheostat not making.Adjusted and all good with lights now.
Many thanks for good direction and advice.
Phil NZ
Old 09-22-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
fortyonerag

Can you actually see gages at night? My 41 at night is darker than a gorilla's armpit even with the dimmer removed!
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote