Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
31a

Default Chickasha,Ok swap meet

Will be at Chicksash swap meet next week, taking a 31 Roadster and some model a parts trying to downsize. If you are looking for anything special message me and I will see if I have it. Space fp 25,26 by south bldg. Stop by Bob
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
bartmcneill

Default Re: Chickasha,Ok swap meet

Swap meet at Chickasha is getting smaller each year it seems. I guess its like a guy told me, too many of us pre war guys are getting too old. I had a space. Thursday sold a little, not many buyers around. Friday many vendors were gone and others were packing. I packed it up since others were and then the rains came. I hope they will start allowing newer years to come or the meet may dwindle down to nothing. I heard a lot of talk about people that used to come from far away not coming due to lack of quality stuff for sale. Maybe half of the grounds could be pre WWII and half could be after WWII and mixtures of years in a booth. It has always been a special swap meet. I don't want to see it go down. That's my thoughts, what is yours?
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

They have turned it into a one day meet in the middle of the week. On Thursday working people can not come. Vendors grip about no sales when no one is there to buy and part of it is the vendors packing up Thursday night and leaving. I have been there an seen it going down each year. Management needs to wake up
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

so what you ars saying is that it does not compare to Hershey and not worth my flight from Detroit, correct? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 AM   #5
31 RPU

I think they said next year it would be on Friday and Saturday. We have been asking for this for years.
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #6
ronn

Swap meet at Chickasha is getting smaller each year it seems. I guess its like a guy told me, too many of us pre war guys are getting too old. I had a space. Thursday sold a little, not many buyers around. Friday many vendors were gone and others were packing. I packed it up since others were and then the rains came. I hope they will start allowing newer years to come or the meet may dwindle down to nothing. I heard a lot of talk about people that used to come from far away not coming due to lack of quality stuff for sale. Maybe half of the grounds could be pre WWII and half could be after WWII and mixtures of years in a booth. It has always been a special swap meet. I don't want to see it go down. That's my thoughts, what is yours?

please consider the economy-it is quite a cost for most to make that trek.
the location is far away for most. yes gas is down, but hotels, time off, etc. still makes
this a pricey endeavor.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bart, the biggest thing that made this a good swap meet is the very thing that has caused the demise. Twenty years ago, it was a true endurance race trying to get to the newest guy coming in to 'cherry pick' as they were setting up. Then after three or four years of that, I, like others starting getting the vendor's phone numbers. Eleven months later I would make a phone call asking them what they were bringing, and telling them what I was looking for. Long story short, for the last 10 years or so I prepurchased over half of what I brought home from Chickasha. Add to that, I'd guess another 25% was purchased while we are waiting in line to get in to the fairground spaces.

With all that said, I have not attended Chickasha in 3-4 years now, simply because it is not a value for me to attend. I don't feel it has anything to do with the economy because gas prices are down, and lodging & food costs are about as inexpensive there as anywhere in the country. I believe parts are generally too easily obtainable now with Internet accesible to places such as Fordbarn Swap Meet, eBay, etc. It is worth more to me to let someone like you attend the meet and purchase the bargains for resale on the aforementioned sites where I can purchase them there. Paying your profit margin is still cheaper than me paying the expenses to attend. The Erslands have done a great job hosting this meet over the years, but I suspect its heyday is in the past now.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
bartmcneill

They have done a great job. I just don't want to see the meet dwindle down further. That is why I suggest maybe having one side of the building be newer stuff.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
SteveB31

Move it back to the weekend.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

Same thing happened with the Petroliana collectibles hobby. Iowa Gas, held every summer, started out as a Thursday nite thru Sat. event. A lot of people are packing up and leaving by Wed. nite-Thurs. morning it's all but over. If you go Saturday it's a big empty lot. Yeah there is an auction Sat. but you pay bidder's premium plus Iowa State Sales tax on what you buy and stuff goes for too high of a price anyway.

Haven't bothered going back there for close to 12 years or so. As with so many things the party's over anyway the investment people got involved
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote