Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default Another oddball question..mirrors.

'55 T'bird.

Does anyone know of any side mirrors that are remotely operated like on newer cars (like Mustangs) that would fit the door contours of my Bird?

I am tired of adjusting them every time I get in the car. They always get bumped out of adjustment, and I want a convex mirror on the passenger side anyway.

I am not worried about originality, but want them to look good and be modernly functional. Even better if they folded when bumped.

Maybe someone sells universal kits ?

Thanks
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
reman

Default Re: Another oddball question..mirrors.

I've got a FoMoCo accessory mirror from the 60's. It is square and would require a hole drilled in the door for sure. If you are interested I will try to find a picture for you.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Grumpy Rick

Thanks Reman, but what I would like is something that is streamlined and protects the mirror, and has remote electrical adjustment.

It would look like any mirror found on mustangs and many others in the last 20 years. My problem is that only certain ones fit on the door, not the window, and I would like one which is close to the contour of the T-bird door, to make it look factory.

I know I have seen them on some older cars at car shows, but not on a T-bird.

EDIT: I just googled 'custom 55 thunderbird pics', and found several with the kind of modern mirrors I want. Just have to find out what and where to find them.

Last edited by Grumpy Rick; 04-21-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post
EDIT: I just googled 'custom 55 thunderbird pics', and found several with the kind of modern mirrors I want. Just have to find out what and where to find them.
Can you copy & upload, or post a few links to those photos?
So we can see what you're asking about...
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
miker98038

Here’s what Doane Spencer had on his 55 bird. Some of the Talbots had external screws so you can tighten them and they’ll hold position. Flat, convex, round and square used to be available. Several mounting options.

Pour a glass of you’re favorite adult beverage and sit down before you open the price list though. You can do better on eBay usually.

doane spencer thunderbird. For some reason this won’t copy as a link, driver error I’m sure. Just google it and his car comes up.

http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_details.htm
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
paul2748

Having a mirror on the passenger side of an early Tbird is almost useless if mounted in the usual spot. Before mounting, be sure it is in a spot that you can actually see out of it..
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post
... what I would like is something that is streamlined and protects the mirror, and has remote electrical adjustment.
Maybe the newer ones are different but the few older remote mirrors I've seen have a sometimes long-ish bundle of relatively stiff mechanical cables coming out thru the center of the mirror base. That bundle usually runs inside the door or window frame to the knob or motor that moves the mirror. Not sure how that will work on a Baby Bird in the original location, unless the adjustment motor is contained completely inside a larger mirror head.
Something larger that looks sporty but not out of place could take a while to find?

The upper edge of the door where the oem mirror mounts is fairly thin, just 2 pieces of sheet-metal with no extra space between until just below the mirror (where the weather strip sits).
Running a couple electrical wires into the mirror base might not be too hard.
In theory, mounting the mirrors on the fenders could give you more options, if you don't mind the look or drilling multiple holes in your fenders...

Photo 1. looking at the top front edge of the drivers door from above the front fender.
Photo 2. looking forward at the space in the top front of the door where the windshield frame fits in.
Photo 3. a '56 w/ dual fender mounted mirrors.

(there's nothing like taking a couple close-up photos of seldom seen parts of your car to show you it needs more attention)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror mount. outside.jpg (24.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg mirror mount, inside.jpg (66.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 0124151320a.jpg (82.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-25-2019 at 07:44 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #8
Ford56

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Having a mirror on the passenger side of an early Tbird is almost useless if mounted in the usual spot. Before mounting, be sure it is in a spot that you can actually see out of it..
I've wondered about this for my 56 Victoria too. There is a passenger side mirror, but it is useless where it is mounted (opposite the same spot on the driver's side, so, in effect, the view is blocked). Looks great from the outside though.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote