Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
dw-satx

Question Broke My 292 Y Block Oil Dipstick Tube

I broke the dipstick tube on my 292 Y Block in a '61 F100. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Having a hard time finding anything (new or used). I broke the original trying to get it back in. What is the secret to reinserting it without breaking it? On the truck it is the mid-engine placement with the rear sump oil pan.

DW-SATX
dw-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
darrell

Default Re: Broke My 292 Y Block Oil Dipstick Tube

i just tap them down .never broke one.is the engine out of your truck
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
dmsfrr

If you can't find a good used one from another pickup truck for less $ on craigslist or ebay... I believe they're the same part as on '55/'57 Tbirds.
Part number 6754 at most any Tbird resto parts house... approx $24 + tax & shipping
https://www.classictbird.com/

https://hillsresto.com/

The machined hole in the block has a slight taper to it and may have a tiny lip at the top to get past. The tube fits into the block about an inch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipstick hole.jpg (44.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg oil dipstick tube c.jpg (55.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg dipstick hole, rear sump.jpg (56.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dipstick copy.jpg (31.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg dipstick copy 2.jpg (54.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-13-2019 at 11:39 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
dw-satx

Yes, the engine is out. I was tapping it in and then tried to bend it over to the bolt hole and felt it snap. This is one of the things I am trying to wrap up before putting it back in the truck. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
dw-satx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
If you can't find a good used one from another pickup truck for less $ on craigslist or ebay... I believe they're the same part as on '55/'57 Tbirds.
Part number 6754 at most any Tbird resto parts house... approx $24 + tax & shipping
https://www.classictbird.com/

https://hillsresto.com/

The machined hole in the block has a slight taper to it and may have a tiny lip at the top to get past. The tube fits into the block about an inch.
Yeah, the T-Bird one looks the same as mine. Trying to order one from classictbird.com. Thanks much!
Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw-satx View Post
Yes, the engine is out. I was tapping it in and then tried to bend it over to the bolt hole and felt it snap. This is one of the things I am trying to wrap up before putting it back in the truck. Thanks!
Which exhaust manifold bolt were you trying to attach the support strap to?

I had to replace the oil dipstick tube on my '55 292 (Bird) engine, the replacement tube lined up really well when the support strap was on the center exh bolt, between cyls 2 & 3.
I also have a '57 with the tube support strap attached to the exh manif bolt at the rear side of cyl 3. But the tube looks bent toward the rear & isn't in the same position at the side of the engine as other examples I've seen.
The tube *should* be able to fit easily into the hole in the block and have the strap line up with an exh manif bolt without having to be bent more than the slightest little bit.

What exhaust manifolds does the engine for the truck have? This may(?) be part of the problem, I don't know. Does the engine also have steady-rest brackets and rods on the sides? I haven't looked at a Y-block truck recently enough to remember.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
paul2748

John Mummert has a dipstick tube for a rear sump pan.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
dw-satx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Which exhaust manifold bolt were you trying to attach the support strap to?

I had to replace the oil dipstick tube on my '55 292 (Bird) engine, the replacement tube lined up really well when the support strap was on the center exh bolt, between cyls 2 & 3.
I also have a '57 with the tube support strap attached to the exh manif bolt at the rear side of cyl 3. But the tube looks bent toward the rear & isn't in the same position at the side of the engine as other examples I've seen.
The tube *should* be able to fit easily into the hole in the block and have the strap line up with an exh manif bolt without having to be bent more than the slightest little bit.

What exhaust manifolds does the engine for the truck have? This may(?) be part of the problem, I don't know. Does the engine also have steady-rest brackets and rods on the sides? I haven't looked at a Y-block truck recently enough to remember.
I did not have the exhaust manifolds on yet and was trying to line it up with the nearest bolt hole. The tube fit in really tight and I should have backed it out and re-aligned it to be closer to the hole. I am putting the stock manifolds on initially and planning on converting to the rams horn manifolds with dual exhausts after it is running again. I already have the replacement from T-Bird Classics and it fit in very easily bolting to the center location of the manifold.