Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
LOWRIDER

Default Aerostar coil springs

I know they work well in Ford cars up to 59 but has anyone used them in a 60-64 full sized Ford? Have a project going on here on a 60 wagon and would rather use the Aerostar springs than cut the originals. Thanks
Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Aerostar coil springs

I knew a fellow who bought junk yard springs from a Caddy, he said they were very long, he cut off as much as he wanted for his 56. Any new spring will be better than any 50 year old spring, thats just the way they work.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
JeffB2

In 1960 they changed the formation of the ends of the coil the closest to the Aerostar that would fit your '60 would be this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coil-Spring...tZ4-P9&vxp=mtr
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Paul Bennett

First find your existing car spring here. Copy down the parameters.

Go here to find coils which fit your car paying particular attention to the spring rate and load.

When you find a spring you are interested in learn what car it fits. Most new springs are between $40 and $50 should you wish to try it on for a good fit.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
LOWRIDER

Thanks for the response. Did a little research on the HAMB and found the the Aerostar springs will fit but it lowers the front so much to the point the tires rub. A bit lower than I'm looking for. Ckd Paul's links but it doesn't list many 60 Ford parts and no springs. Maybe my 60-64 parts cd will list more info. I'll ck my cd later and a little deeper into Paul's links.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWRIDER View Post
Thanks for the response. Did a little research on the HAMB and found the the Aerostar springs will fit but it lowers the front so much to the point the tires rub. A bit lower than I'm looking for. Ckd Paul's links but it doesn't list many 60 Ford parts and no springs. Maybe my 60-64 parts cd will list more info. I'll ck my cd later and a little deeper into Paul's links.
There is fix for the Aerostar being too low several in my Ford Group used these since you should replace the 60 year old rubber isolators anyway http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...-isolators.asp
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
miker98038

FWIW, I replaced the cut springs on my ‘55 bird with the Aerostar’s. It didn’t lower the car, but greatly improved the ride without bottoming out. The progressive rate is the big deal. If you can space them, give them a good look for a driver.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
LOWRIDER

I wanted the progressive rate as much as the lowering the Aerostar coils give. I think the link to energysuspensionparts Jeff posted for the spacers, along with Aerostar coils will get me to where I'd like it to be. I'll have to give them a call.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
5851a

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/pr...pes/resto-mod/ I used this place about 15 years ago. At the time the price wasn't bad, I received the right springs and was happy. Saved me time from having to cut something else off and try more than once. Might have been more expensive than salvage yard coils but saved me time in the end.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
bobss396

I took my stock '59 springs, de-rusted them and cut off 1 coil. They ride nicely. The next time I have it apart I may take another 1/2 coil off them.

There is another Moog spring you may want to look at, the CC851. It is closer to the stock spring in some ways and a better spring rate, around 420 IIRC.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote