Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2016, 05:41 AM   #1
waxhead

Default Serr Miller head in a 30/31 Model A

For those who have installed a Serr Miller over head conversion in a 1930 or 1931 Model A Ford, are there any clearance issues with the head and the firewall??

I believe the terminal box on the firewall needs to be relocated higher, but does the head clear the firewall without modification?? Thanks
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Serr Miller head in a 30/31 Model A

Did you try the HAMB ?
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Vicky

The Terminal Box must be moved. Some folks have moved the box higher by just moving it up and using the bottom screws into the Terminal Box using the top holes in the firewall. I moved the Terminal Box inside the car, mounted using the same screws and mounting holes in the Terminal Box with no problem. You will have to watch routing the wires, as the Rocker Cover is directly in front of the opening.

The clearance between the head and firewall is very tight. Mine is installed on a 31 Victoria with Float-A-Motor mounts, and "rubs" the firewall, paint is scratched. The Victoria is an early 31, and does not have an indented firewall, don't know if that would make any difference.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Vicky

Wink Re: Serr Miller head in a 30/31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
The Terminal Box must be moved. Some folks have moved the box higher by just moving it up and using the bottom screws into the Terminal Box using the top holes in the firewall. I moved the Terminal Box inside the car, mounted using the same screws and mounting holes in the Terminal Box with no problem. You will have to watch routing the wires, as the Rocker Cover is directly in front of the opening.

The clearance between the head and firewall is very tight. Mine is installed on a 31 Victoria with Float-A-Motor mounts, and "rubs" the firewall, paint is scratched. The Victoria is an early 31, and does not have an indented firewall, don't know if that would make any difference.

Correction: I should have looked before I responded. There is adequate clearance between the head and the firewall in the recessed area. It is my Header Flange that rubbed the firewall area where the firewall comes forward.

Sorry for the mistake.

Bob
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

I did the same as Vicky with my Cook, which is similar to the Miller, dimension-wise. The Cook has a more bulky valve cover and it rubs a little.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
waxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I did the same as Vicky with my Cook, which is similar to the Miller, dimension-wise. The Cook has a more bulky valve cover and it rubs a little.
Jim, thanks for the response
Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
waxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
Correction: I should have looked before I responded. There is adequate clearance between the head and the firewall in the recessed area. It is my Header Flange that rubbed the firewall area where the firewall comes forward.

Sorry for the mistake.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the response. What sort of headers are you using?? And do you think you would be able to modify the header flange to increase the clearance to the firewall?? Thanks again.