Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Bill S

Default Oil leak from drain plug

On a 1950 Ford. I have a oil leak from the drain plug. I have used a crush washer. Still leaked. I also annealed a washer. Did not fix the problem. Do not know if the problem is the plug or the pan. Any ideas how I can fix the problem?
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Oil leak from drain plug

It would seem to be the pan. Any objection to trying gasket sealer?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
19Fordy

Wrap a piece of soft 1/16th in dia. solder around the drain plug just underneath the hex head where plug contacts the oil pan and then tighten it up. The idea is that the solder will crush and seal at same time. Or make a leather washer out of an old belt and use it to serve the same purpose. Must use leather. Add some non hardening gasket sealant or shellac to washer for extra good seal.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
drolston

#2 (non-hardening) Permatex.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Jack E/NJ

Assuming you're running the engine, it may be one of those 'sneaky leaks ' . Actually coming from someplace else with oil wicking/adhering to the pan's surface on down to the drain plug. Thoroughly clean a wide area around the drain plug so it's relatively dry. Then see if these surface areas get wet before the plug starts dripping. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Tinker

Use a bit of pipe tape on the last few threads. If that bothers you could try a felt/cork gasket with your crush washer. Think some did use a cork. You can buy cork gasket sheets from napa and make them.

Maybe first; Indian head should stay soft for a longtime or anti-seize. won't hurt anything. Old cars really leak a tad of oil, whether we admit it or not. A drop or too is fine, a quart is not good.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Wrap a piece of soft 1/16th in dia. solder around the drain plug just underneath the hex head where plug contacts the oil pan and then tighten it up. The idea is that the solder will crush and seal at same time. Or make a leather washer out of an old belt and use it to serve the same purpose. Must use leather. Add some non hardening gasket sealant or shellac to washer for extra good seal.
I wanted to write like that. This should help.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #8
Tinker

Never heard of a leather gasket. Ever. New to me but... what do I know. Whatever works, works. cork works well. Threads are probably worn a bit.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-01-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
expavr

As Tinker suggests I would try applying “never seize” to the threads and see if that doesn’t help. The petcock drain on my radiator had an annoying water leak around the threads and I applied “never seize” to the threaded shaft which stopped the leak completely.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Anteek29

I'd try an "O" ring.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
tiger.1000

Conventional rubber "O" ring unlikely to work. Leather washer a good idea.Ditto, PERMATEX.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
philipswanson

I would wrap it with some Teflon tape in the right direction. Pull it tight when wrapping. Do it on your next oil change. If it still leaks, go to an oversize self taping plug available at Napa for sure.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
3twinridges

Permatex aviation on threads is your friend. Let it cure before you add oil.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
Bill S

Thanks guys. i'll waite until the car is ready for the next oil change to try some of the things.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
pete rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post

Hi 19Fordy
I've got a similar problem with a 59A with the big plug ( approx. 1 1/2 in ) and have tried several compound gaskets and even put some permatex on the last attempt to stop the leak. With permatex better but still seaping.Your solder idea sounds good and I'll give that a try next oil change, but I'm curious about the leather gasket comment.
Does a leather home made gasket work any differently that the compound gaskets I have been using from Mac's. Can you give me your experience with leather. It sounds like a real simple fix, but I don't want to try it only to have to drain oil out again to try the next fix. Would like to weigh the solder vs leather idea so please give me your guidance as to which to try first. Thanks for any help offered
Pete
pete rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
3twinridges

Another thing to try is plating the plug, to add some material on the threads and create a tighter fit. Like nickel or copy cad....

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
GOSFAST

Can't give any other suggestions here with respect to the OP's drain plug issue, most have been covered above.

But for anyone interested in a real nice fix for these drain plugs if the engine is being built and/or the pan is off the unit we just devised a really nice method for a permanent repair and one that will eliminate all those extra large drain plugs.

Our fix is accomplished with a "bushing" welded on the outside where those OEM plugs sit. The bushing fits the existing threaded hole and is simply welded around the outer edge to the pan.

This is an all new area for us and it only happened this week due to necessity. I have 2 custimers who want to get rid of that large plug. The fix allows the use of a typical Chevy drain plug, 1/2-20 thread and 9/16" socket size.

(Add photo) Here's a shot of the finished welded plug mod on the 8BA pan, this one uses the same thread size, a 1/2-20 Chevy, but with a magnetic plug and a 3/4" wrench size. It is the same plugs found on the Moroso race pans for the G.M. line.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'm in the process this week of running off a few extra bushings for stock. We will most likely do all the pans with this method from here on forward! Here's a shot of the very first one waiting to be welded. It's just a real neat setup and pretty much guaranteed leak-proof for the most part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Oil Pan Drain Plug Fix.jpg (55.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Oil Pan-8BA Drain Plug Fix B.jpg (79.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 08-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #18
paul2748

Many newer drain plugs use a plastic/neophrene washer for sealing. Maybe you can find one for the big Ford size.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
Bill S

Seems to me some place back in time I read that the washers were made of lead. So solder may be the thing. Make a ring of solder and solder the ends together.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #20
Tinker

Not to discourage creativity. Never a lead ring for stock cars. Copper crush yes for most all. Napa sells bulk gasket material. Cork will weather gas and other. decent fix anyway. Never-seize is some great stuff. Never had too much problem here though....

If we are talking about the same thing.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-08-2019 at 10:57 PM.