Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
davehc

Default Craigs List / Early "28" Chassis

Saw this on Craig's list , thought someone might be interested , early 1928 chassis , matching numbers .
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/p...845481562.html
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Craigs List / Early "28" Chassis

Later parts here and there. Generator, starter, maybe more.

Still, a "survivor" - sort of. One imagines the body is now chopped, channeled, and set up with blue "underglow" LED lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiPnbGkmvlc

Joe K
Old 03-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
mhsprecher

Didn’t stray too far from home.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
dpson

I've been told that the front motor mount being integral with the frame crossmember was used only on the very early 28's like the one on detroit CL and it was changed to the independent front motor mount to help with vibration issues. Is this correct?
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Tom Endy

The rear axle assembly appears to be 1928. There are no support gussets on the banjo flange and the seams are on the sides of the axle housings. However, whoever had it apart last reversed the housings left\right putting the seams facing forward. They should face aft.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
I've been told that the front motor mount being integral with the frame crossmember was used only on the very early 28's like the one on detroit CL and it was changed to the independent front motor mount to help with vibration issues. Is this correct?
This is correct. In fact dealers were encouraging early owners to come in and have their frame modified to the new configuration. So early MIGHT mean modified.

An unmodified early version is a tad bit rare.

Joe K
Old 03-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
frank55a

This is NOT an early 28 chassis. Without being provided the engine number is that it is some time after March of 28, as it has the center squeeze grip handle. Further it does not have the square stater switch, which means it has the later starter after October 28. Also I can not tell for sure but the front brake cross shaft does not appear to be tapered, the tapered cross shafts were used until October 28. Finally the solid front engine mount was used until November 28. Therefore, again without the engine number my guess is it is that is a late 28 after October 28.

Last edited by frank55a; 04-02-2019 at 08:33 AM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #8
Dodge

Price would be reasonable in our area. Ca.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The rear axle assembly appears to be 1928. There are no support gussets on the banjo flange and the seams are on the sides of the axle housings. However, whoever had it apart last reversed the housings left\right putting the seams facing forward. They should face aft.

Tom Endy
Tom,

With all due respect, I think you are mistaken on you statement. Unless I am not reading it right????

According to the Standards, page 4-10 Revised 2011...it states that the first rear axle housings were: "The seamed tube design had the seams facing forward (not facing aft)".

If that is a wrong statement in the Standards...then I, and others, are screwed on the reassembly of the rear end!!!

Also to if you were to enlarge the photo, I think you can see the top support gusset on the banjo flange...Anyone? Original may have cracked (as they normally would have) and a later one put on???

The center crossmember still posesses the assembly of the June 1928 thru November 1928 Brake system making this chassis a Mid to Late 1928 chassis or frame.

The hole is missing for the Left Hand Emergency Brake (maybe)...this feature ended in July 1928.

Now we are up to a August/September thru November 1928 chassis/frame.

I think the Front Brake Rod Spring Bracket, the Frame to Body Bracket---Front, and the Hood Shelf Support Bracket are still a forging. In September of 1928, these brackets were changed to a stamping. Can not tell either or.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 04-02-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Tom,

With all due respect, I think you are mistaken on you statement. Unless I am not reading it right????

According to the Standards, page 4-10 Revised 2011...it states that the first rear axle housings were: "The seamed tube design had the seams facing forward (not facing aft)".

If that is a wrong statement in the Standards...then I, and others, are screwed on the reassembly of the rear end!!!

Also to if you were to enlarge the photo, I think you can see the top support gusset on the banjo flange...Anyone? Original may have cracked (as they normally would have) and a later one put on???

The center crossmember still posesses the assembly of the June 1928 thru November 1928 Brake system making this chassis a Mid to Late 1928 chassis or frame.

The hole is missing for the Left Hand Emergency Brake (maybe)...this feature ended in July 1928.

Now we are up to a August/September thru November 1928 chassis/frame.

I think the Front Brake Rod Spring Bracket, the Frame to Body Bracket---Front, and the Hood Shelf Support Bracket are still a forging. In September of 1928, these brackets were changed to a stamping. Can not tell either or.

Pluck
Yep,...some time in mid-28. Also don't go by the front brake actuators..
Ahh,...non-adjustable brake rods..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Good eye Dudley!!!!!
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote