Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
pawnidad

Question difference between a roadster and deluxe roadster

I am looking at two 1928 roadsters one is a deluxe roadster the other just says roadster,I have never owned a car like this and I have only seen them in pictures so far but I can't see anything different on them other than color. Ken
pawnidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: difference between a roadster and deluxe roadster

'Sorry. No such animal as a "Deluxe" 1928 roadster. Deluxe roadsters weren't introduced until the summer of 1930. The 1928 roadster you're considering calling itself a deluxe may have a side mount or two added and cowl lights (YUCH!!), plus other easily pasted on dress up items in an effort to "upgrade" a basically plain car. But it is NOT a "Deluxe" roadster, no matter how much chrome junk has been put on the poor little car. If this is what the owner is calling his car, be very careful of other problems with it.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 05-23-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Vern

What Marshall says is the truth, as usual.
My '28 roadster is a simple one, with no extra cowl lights or added "deluxe" goodies found on later models. I have dressed it up with the wind-wings, the motometer/propeller cap & the cowl vents were all added non-factory accessories, but it is just a basic roadster. A true '28 will not have exterior door handles also.

Last edited by Vern; 05-30-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
Bob C

Don is correct post #13 of this thread shows the Canadian sports roadster.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...sport+roadster

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Model A Fan

One has cheese and a tomato, the other is just plain.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Don is correct about there being a "Sports Roadster" in Canada, which I learned about here a few months ago. But that is not the same thing as a "Deluxe Roadster". Perhaps the seller confused terminology?
While we're on this semantics subject, there have been times when many of us have answered questions on this website, sometimes very detailed and lengthy, only to discover afterwards that the car under question is a Canadian-built model and our carefully worded answers don't apply. Being Canadian-built throws everything out the door in terms of most of our answers! I answer questions based on USA Model A production, as I think 99% of us do. If a question is clearly identified as concerning a Canadian or other foreign-built car, I refrain from answering because there are so many oddities that creep up in these cars that weren't part of USA production. This question about a 1928 "Deluxe" roadster may fall into that category.
So, unless otherwise specified in the original post, all my answers - past, present and future - will only concern USA Model A production.
So, there!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
Robert/Texas

Vern
Are you sure about the exterior door handles? My 07/28 roadster has them but my 03/28 open cab pickup ,does not.
Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Someone added the handles or changed the doors on your 07/28 Roadster.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
wrndln

I agree with Tom, outside door handles weren't added until late 1928, maybe late November or December at the earliest depending on the assembly plant. I also question when Canadian Sport Roadsters were introduced. My guess is it wasn't until very late 28 or sometime in 1929. Maybe someone can post a message about when Canadian Sport Roadsters were available. Anyway, like Marshall stated, the question was about 28/29 deluxe roadsters, which don't exist and never have.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
Steve_Mack_CT

So not to hijack the thread but related to comment on the addition of the deluxe in the summer of 1930, would it be unlikely that an oval speedometer car would be a deluxe? Or was there overlap in these changes?

Curious, as my car is not original in the sense it has a '31 engine, I am on the fence as to which direction to go when we do ultimately restore it. DSM, cowl lights, but tall windshield and black interior so my thought is it was most likely a standard with some options. That said, I might be inclined to go Deluxe (I have a nice deluxe top frame already so partly there) but would want a correct unit not something that would not have been. OP/Mods, if this should be asked elsewhere let me know.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
So not to hijack the thread but related to comment on the addition of the deluxe in the summer of 1930, would it be unlikely that an oval speedometer car would be a deluxe? Or was there overlap in these changes?

Curious, as my car is not original in the sense it has a '31 engine, I am on the fence as to which direction to go when we do ultimately restore it. DSM, cowl lights, but tall windshield and black interior so my thought is it was most likely a standard with some options. That said, I might be inclined to go Deluxe (I have a nice deluxe top frame already so partly there) but would want a correct unit not something that would not have been. OP/Mods, if this should be asked elsewhere let me know.

Thanks
If there are 10 restored deluxe roadsters at a show and one standard everyone will be crowded around the standard since it is so unique. Most of the standard cars became deluxe when they were "restored" in the past. If I had a standard vehicle I would leave it that way. An added benefit is that it is a little cheaper to restore a standard.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Back in the 1960s-70s, everybody and their sister was "restoring" Model A Ford cars. It was the era of the great "Middle Class" with more "leisure" time and added "spendable income". They'd pack on to their cars all sorts of "extras" and painted up the otherwise spartan utility vehicles like circus wagons.

In my humble opinion, though some town sedans had them, cowl lights just don't look right on a 1928-29 Ford. The uncluttered lines of that series of Model A has a classic look that appears much better clean and clear.

Helped a friend back in the 1970s restore a 1931 "standard" roadster. That one had the taller painted windshield frame and stanchions. We did the entire car in "BLACK" including the wheels. The car looked great!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 05-24-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Back in the 1960s-70s, everybody and their sister was "restoring" Model A Ford cars. It was the era of the great "Middle Class" with more "leisure" time and added "spendable income". !
The late 70s is when Sarah was first restored and side mounted spares were added. The top had a steel panel welded in and then covered to look like it's suppose to, found that out just recently. I'll probably let it stay that way and the wheel color also....too many positive comments about the wheel cover color. Good safety feature..........brightness!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I also question when Canadian Sport Roadsters were introduced. My guess is it wasn't until very late 28 or sometime in 1929. Maybe someone can post a message about when Canadian Sport Roadsters were available. Anyway, like Marshall stated, the question was about 28/29 deluxe roadsters, which don't exist and never have.
Rusty Nelson
Sport Roadster introduced by Ford Motor Company of Canada, Aug 24, 1929.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
wrndln

HoarseWhisperer,
That is kind of what I thought - Sport Roadsters were introduced later in production, not in 1928 like the initial poster's question concerning 1928 roadsters.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #16
Steve_Mack_CT

Charlie and Capt. Q - agree and did not think of Charlie's good point for consideration. Restoration is a while down the road but accumulating parts now, for when the time comes.

Yes, I recall a lot of Model A restorations in the 70s, not so many garage based full restorations going on today, but I hope to spend my retirement doing just that even if everyone else would rather be golfing or crowding T-shirt shops in tourist traps.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
d.

> no 28-29 open pickups had outside door handles as delivered.
the roadsters and phaetons first received outside door handles starting in late Nov. 28 I believe, but no outside handles were often seen through Feb. 29.
Check the Restoration Guide/ Judging Standards to verify.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #18
roblesterjr04

If you can get the chassis and/or engine numbers from both cars, It would help determine if the car is in fact of Canadian decent, or if the car is in fact a 1928.

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote