Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
johnsor

Default Scored Piston

I have a good engine with 60 psi compression in three cylinders, but #1 piston is scored and has very low compression. Cylinder wall looks fairly good and should hone out O.K. Is it advisable or possible to buy just a single piston and rings for same instead of a whole set of each? If so, where?
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Scored Piston

How many miles are on the pistons and rings? Do they show wear?

A full set of pistons and rings will cost about $100 or less more than just buying one piston and rings. This way the pistons should be faily even in weight.

You might talk to Joe at Metalcrafters in Stevens Point.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

I doubt mixing rings will have a noticeable effect on balance. As Tom asks, how many miles on the engine, good point. Rings have a tendency to wear out with miles, so if a lot of miles are on the engine, replace all, if only a few thou, replace only the one set.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
johnsor

I had just bought this nicely restored 31 two door with only about 600 miles on the overhauled engine. It ran beautiful, so took it out on the road for a 50 mile run. I didn't know the radiator had a problem, and with no temperature gauge, I didn't pull of the road soon enough when it overheated, thus #1 piston scored. Other pistons must be O.K. As they have 60 psi compression. So, that's why I want to repair only the damaged piston without having to disturb the rest of the cylinders. It's not the cost of all four. I've since installed a good S/W capillary type temperature gauge. I'll never again run a Model A without a temperature gage. With oil and cooling, the Model A engine is nearly "bullet proof".
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
johnsor

Maybe I'll give Bert's Antique Parts a call. They have good Model A parts and knowledgeable advice.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Mikeinnj

Pistons are sold in sets of four by the vendors.
There are different types used in the Model A.
Some use Chevy pistons, some use a solid skirt and some a split skirt and some are center lock and some end lock.
Which type are yours? What size is the cylinder bore?
A photo would help identify them and perhaps someone would have a single replacement of the correct type and size to sell you.

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 06-27-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Sp
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
TK in LA

Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs California is a great source. They have a great crew of knowledgeable people who deal with more than just old Fords. Grant rings usually run about $30.00 for all 4 cylinders. They also carry all the gaskets. [email protected] As Mikeinnj said, a picture and size would help, as someone is sure to have a spare laying around. Good Luck!
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
johnsor

An interesting story about the 31 Two Door that I have the piston issue with. Last April I learned through a friend of a friend of an "old car" for sale only a hundred miles away. In 1969 a fellow started restoreing this 31 Two Door. Looking through the large stack of receipts he kept, he had everything done by professionals, engine, body work, paint, all new upholstery, door handles, bumpers, top, interior handles and fasteners, and all new glass and regulators. He must have spent a ton of money on it. It's a beautiful Ford maroon with black fenders.

According to the parts and labor receipts which he kept, it looks like he finished this restoration in 93. After only putting 600 miles on it, he passed away. His widow just left it sitting in her garage, apparently telling nobody of it's status. This past spring she decided to sell her house and told a friend that she had to get rid of "that old car in the garage". I made contact immediately and learned she only wanted seven grand for it. It now resides in my garage with some minor engine work to be done.

As beautiful as this Two Door is, my favorite is still my 30 Deluxe Roadster with a "warmed up" engine, a 3:54 rear end and Firestone 6.50 x 16 wide white walls.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
George Miller

The problem is if you do not change all 4. You are going to have a vibrating engine, unless you happen to get the same kind of piston that is in your engine now. You might weigh the old one, and check it against the new one to see if they are the same. Take it to a engine shop to get weighed.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote