Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
ctvpa

Default Mouse

I have searched the past postings. What has worked to prevent mice from wintering in my car? I know moth balls, but hate the smell. Do dryer sheets really work? Anything else? The giant plastic bag is not ideal for me as I like to work on the cars.
Thank you.
Craig
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Mouse

Keep plenty of traps set small one with peanut butter. Need to catch the whole family. I've used dryer sheets. Don't really know if they work but I use them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
AL in NY

Dryer sheets work. I have used them for years without ever seeing evidence of a mouse in my Model A.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

New Febreze air freshener to hang in your car. When I pass a parked car with one, on my scooter, smells like a Laundromat! Smell is STRONG and might deter meeces! Fortunately, I have a championship Rat Terrier & I leave the driver's door open, he loves to "drive" & patrols for rodent b*****ds at the same time! (And why did I name my car "VERMIN"? I don't know??) Bill W.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
29 model-a

Dryer sheets work well for me also, in car and my atvs . Pete
29 model-a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
c125bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I use dryer sheets in the A and the 5th wheel and haven't had a problem. I live out in the sticks and we have field mice everywhere. I guess they work. Just keep them fresh and smelly.
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Jerry Parr WI

Only had one year they got in my detached garage in 15 years. Had a section missing from a door bottom seal. I now check it every fall. No experience but I have heard of them building nests out of dryer sheets. Many boats in this area are mostly stored outside with moth balls including mine. No problem with mine but one year without them I had damage. My best success inside is with traps. Had good luck in the past with antifreeze traps. When they fall in the antifreeze it preserves them so they don't decay and smell. I always put poison next to the doors so they have plenty to eat. It may not kill them but it gives an indication they have gotten in. Always set a few traps just in case.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Jack M

Has anyone tried cinnomon sticks? We have heard of this but never tried them
Jack M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I use " Bounce " fabric softener dryer sheets. They are more aromatic than most and it leaves a nice aroma in the car. I overkill in that I put them under every seat in the springs as in the door pockets. People in the same storage unit have had mouse problems and I have never had a mouse and I have several cars. Hope that helps !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I've seen mice make nests of drier sheets and they have chewed on my bar of soap. I use mothballs and have no mouse problem. I throw them around the garage and also set a trap with peanut butter just outside the garage door. I've trapped about 20 mice in the past month.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
TinCup

I am with Tom on this one. Mothballs on the farm are the only way to keep mice out of the cars. No I don't like the smell but tried drier sheets and like Tom said they made nests out of them.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Cool Hand Lurker

The water bucket always gets them. Put peanut butter on a rotating can and they fall into the water. RV antifreeze works to keep out the ice and doesn't kill people so it shouldn't kill dogs either. Here is a photo of mine.
I also use an aluminum barrier wall made from 6" roof flashing. Roll out two pieces the length and two of them the width of the car. Bend the sides at a right angle about an inch from the side so you have a channel shape. Set them up on edge and bend the ends at a 45º angle so you can clip them together end to end to make a 6" high wall all around the car. The mice can't get around it and won't try to jump over it because of the reflection. It is easy to remove if you want access to the car to work on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse Trap.jpg (120.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Mouse wall.JPG (6.5 KB, 67 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
1crosscut

I keep an ample supply of the mouse bait available for them to dine on. When first using the bait things can get a bit smelly. The way I figure it mice are like people when they get feeling poorly. Myself when I get to feeling under the weather I head to the bedroom, turn off the lights and lay low until I'm feeling better. Mice do the same thing but their bedroom is under your cabinet in the shop that is filled with engine blocks and transmissions. Not so easy to clear them out once they have met their maker. Once you get the locals exterminated all your dealing with is the new arrivals. They come in get a good belly full of the bait, get to feeling poorly and head to their bedroom that is NOT in your shop. Works for me.
Dave
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

No one mentioned using a "HERD" of CATS! Bill W.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
No one mentioned using a "HERD" of CATS! Bill W.
My neighbor moved and took their 3 cats with them. That's one reason I caught so many mice this fall. I had a red fox in the back yard today and it looked much fatter than the last time I saw a fox a few weeks ago. A few months ago a fox took care of a family of 5 young rabbits in the flower bed.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
QGolden

I have used bait blocks, most of the time the mice seem to crawl off to die. But a few years ago I had one die in the heater fan on my '67 Chevy. He froze in there and thawed out during my first ride of the following spring. It was not good, and a LOT of work to clean him out. I had to take it apart twice to get the smell out, the second time I had to paint the inside of the heater box. Now I set the old spring type under the seats, so I know where they expire. I set them in the fall, once we get a hard frost or two the problem seems to go away.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
western77

I set blocks of bait on blocks of wood with a nail in them. The nail holds the bait block in place so it can't be moved. then I cut and super glue small pieces of the bait on the trigger of a spring trap. They are attracked to the bait and try to take the small piece home with them. One pull and thats that.
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I keep an ample supply of the mouse bait available for them to dine on. When first using the bait things can get a bit smelly. The way I figure it mice are like people when they get feeling poorly. Myself when I get to feeling under the weather I head to the bedroom, turn off the lights and lay low until I'm feeling better. Mice do the same thing but their bedroom is under your cabinet in the shop that is filled with engine blocks and transmissions. Not so easy to clear them out once they have met their maker. Once you get the locals exterminated all your dealing with is the new arrivals. They come in get a good belly full of the bait, get to feeling poorly and head to their bedroom that is NOT in your shop. Works for me.
Dave
I'm interested on how you know that it's the mice "bedroom" and not the "bathroom"? LOL
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

[QUOTE=Cool Hand Lurker;517603]The water bucket always gets them. Put peanut butter on a rotating can and they fall into the water.

I have used the same method. Caught 22 mice in 3weeks. Love it. I call it the "fun wheel".
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

The sticky paper also works well to trap mice, but it also gets full of all kinds of insects. Is anyone using the sticky fly paper to trap flies? I hate to see fly specks all over a new paint job. I haven't seen the fly paper in years, but I remember when it cost only a nickel or dime for each roll.