Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #41
bigd1101

Default Re: Play in water pump shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Antifreeze is a good lubricant for the seal. Rusty water will eat up the seal, then the bearings.

And, that unexpected early freeze will bust the block on anyone not using antifreeze.
Just ask Bert's about how many engines he sells for that reason.

I've thought about all that......my A boiled over on 50/50 but I think I had too much fluid in the radiator and I was driving the car. The car runs around 180 at fast idle. I read where you should only have enough fluid to cover the top radiator tubes. I'm torn here, but I also don't want a cracked block, like you said, with an early freeze.

Could I run say, 20/80 or a bit more, say 30/70 with the lower numbers being anti-freeze until I know about when the freeze will hit? Would a lower mix help any early freeze? A 32 degree freeze comes around the end of Sept and a killing freeze, 20 degrees, around the middle of Oct

I have a tester that would tell me the freeze point of any mix.....
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #42
bigd1101

I guess I'll just test a mix with less anti-freeze until winter comes........

Last edited by bigd1101; 09-12-2018 at 09:52 AM.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #43
katy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anti-freeze chart 2.jpg (48.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #44
30 Closed Cab PU

This post is lengthy, I have a tendency to write a book to answer questions.

Tom is correct.

There is debate on which to use. You have to balance the pros and cons of each and make your own decision.

Google "Rocky Mountain Model A Club Cooling System Presentation" has great info.

My view and opinions - others views and opinions may vary

Antifreeze (Green) - OK if you do not run hot or overheat. If you do, you may want to look at your cooling system. Rust/Scale/grease in the system? Does your radiator have sufficient cooling capacity - recommended is a good 3 row core or a Brassworks 2 row, some require a 4 row in extreme cases like desert or high altitude.
Do you have an exhaust leak into the coolant another possibility.

Advantages - no need to change out for storage/freezing temps. Yearly if not flushed/changed recommend adding a bottle of Macs 1300 rust inhibitor to refresh the antifreeze rust inhibitor. Initially no additives needed. No worries about early freezes, or inadvertently forgetting to change out water coolant.

Disadvantages - If leaks, damages paint. Raises the overall boiling temperature of the coolant and also raises the nucleate boiling point in cooling cylinder walls. Water is a better conductor of heat out of the motor, Anti Freeze runs hotter which reduces the margin before oil flash over on the cylinder walls.

Distilled Water with Additives

Advantages - Has the best cooling properties when compared to antifreeze. Damage to paint greatly reduced if leak develops.

Disadvantages

Actually initially more expensive than Antifreeze, cost of additives, and still have to buy antifreeze for cold weather and storage. Cost comes down when the antifreeze is drained/stored and reused for the next year.

More Maintenance - draining and adding antifreeze, draining and saving antifreeze and adding water with additives yearly.

Additives required.

If forget to drain and cold weather - motor and radiator damage can occur. I've heard of this when someone goes into the hospital, or when someone passes, no one either knows or it is forgotten, to drain the water.

Sorry I can not answer you Antifreeze questions with certainty. But to me seems like a lot maintenance, easy to forget. Perhaps check out the condition of your cooling system 1st, make sure it is in tip/top shape. For your area/needs, maybe your motor is running on the hot side, not sure I do not know where an A should run at fast idle. Most issues are running at 40 and more MPH mph in 80 degree weather and above.

However some run an overflow tank. Coolant contracts when cold, expands when hot. If you fill to the overflow tube, hot coolant expands and goes out the over flow tube into the tank. When cooling it sucks back into the radiator from the tank, just like modern cars. An advantage to this is the system stays fuller and has slightly more coolant and you do not end up with antifreeze over the bottom of your car. You can also do this if running distilled water. Adding a tank is a matter of preference, some like originality and will not run an overflow tank.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote