Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #21
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 28 Canadian Roadster questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I hope someone will compile some information on the canadian built cars eventually. As I mentioned earlier, mine definetely had Niagra Blue Dark as its original color, as some is still visible on the car.
There is...As Bob C said...Get the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards...39 pages of Canadian information that you will not find on any website.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #22
chrs1961815

Thank you all for your insight.
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #23
Tinbasher

Yes the tail light is 28 and early 29. (I think it changed to the Tea cup style light around Dec. ) The bracket that holds it should be a cast part and it bolts to the rear body rail.

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
fundytides

Chris. Another tidbit of information. My 31 Canadian Roadster has the number T2394 stamped into the subframe near the drivers door. It is on the flat area above where the floor boards sit so is visible when you lift the floor mat. I am told that the T indicates the Toronto (Ontario) assembly plant. If you want to give me your email address I can send you a copy of a picture of the subframe where this number is stamped.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #25
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundytides View Post
Chris. Another tidbit of information. My 31 Canadian Roadster has the number T2394 stamped into the subframe near the drivers door. It is on the flat area above where the floor boards sit so is visible when you lift the floor mat. I am told that the T indicates the Toronto (Ontario) assembly plant. If you want to give me your email address I can send you a copy of a picture of the subframe where this number is stamped.
Interesting. My email address is [email protected] . Hopefully I can find that number.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #26
Graham

Cool... mine is T2229. I'd be interested in knowing what you know about when yours was built, as I understand they were numbered consecutively.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #27
fundytides

Chris-Picture sent by email
Graham-Not sure of build date but it does not have indented firewall like the later 31s. It is a Standard whereas yours appears to be a Deluxe but I think the basic bodies were all the same. Mine has the cast iron sediment bulb but I don't think that helps to date it.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #28
Graham

Thanks for the info. I don't think Canadian cars ever had the indented firewall, but I have the glass float bowl, not cast. I wonder how long it took to assemble the 165 cars between ours. I suspect my engine is a replacement as it is a CAT from April '30. But the body has the '31 traits. It would be good to find other "T" cars.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #29
fundytides

I've heard that the glass and cast sediment bowls were used interchangeably depending on supply. Mine doesn't have the original engine. It was swapped for a better running 29 engine over 50 years ago. Wish I had the original back. I would think that 165 cars would be well within the daily production limit.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #30
28Ca8149

I have a very original 28 roadster Bought it from the original owner in 1955 .on the back of the speedometer there is a date that will be a bit older then the car .Is your parking break on the left side or in the middle . I think there was 5280 changes on the model As and if you know them you can get a close idea.The gudging standards manual tells most of them .my car has a honeycomb rad original. And a plate glass windshield that Ford said he didn’t do. N
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #31
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Ca8149 View Post
I have a very original 28 roadster Bought it from the original owner in 1955 .on the back of the speedometer there is a date that will be a bit older then the car .Is your parking break on the left side or in the middle . I think there was 5280 changes on the model As and if you know them you can get a close idea.The gudging standards manual tells most of them .my car has a honeycomb rad original. And a plate glass windshield that Ford said he didn’t do. N
My parking brake is on the left side so I know it is one of the early 28s. I think my speedometer is a repro because I don't recall seeing a date and because it looked way too perfect, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #32
Tinbasher

Don't be fooled by parts on Canadian cars. I've found some of the parts can be 3 to 6 months later than the American production cars. My car is a Oct of 28 Body build, but it has a solid front crossmember for the engine mount. My thinking is, that the excess parts where shipped to Canada to be used up when changes where made. I don't think Henry would have scrapped the parts. My two cents worth.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #33
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
Don't be fooled by parts on Canadian cars. I've found some of the parts can be 3 to 6 months later than the American production cars. My car is a Oct of 28 Body build, but it has a solid front crossmember for the engine mount. My thinking is, that the excess parts where shipped to Canada to be used up when changes where made. I don't think Henry would have scrapped the parts. My two cents worth.
Good point. I already know that model a parts were not created for the same car at the same time. Engines could sit around for months before being put into a car.