Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Steam Engine Pete

Default Brass headlamp question

I am working on an early 13 Touring car. I have the Jno W Brown Model 19 headlamps. Are they the correct ones?

Were they all polished brass or were parts or the whole thing painted black? I thought these were very tarnished but they have definitely been painted. I have seen pictures with black bodies and brass tops and rings. Which is the right way?

Hopefully not a stupid question. I am more familiar with the newer T's. I just always assumed all the brass was shined up on a Brass T.

What does everyone do? Fix them or convert them to the halogen bulbs that are available? This is not going to be a show car, just a real nice driver.

Thanks,
Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
t42

Default Re: Brass headlamp question

According to Bruce McCalley's Model T Book the Brown 19 headlamp was used in 1911 and 1912. The headlamp used in 1913 & 1914 was a Brown model 16. I would think that a carryover from 1912 into early 1913 would certainly be possible. In 1913 they used steel lights painted black with brass tops and rims. I believe the Model 19 lamps are solid brass. I would not ruin a good brass gas lamp by converting it to electric.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Steam Engine Pete

That answers my question. I saw some with the main body painted black and I wondered why anyone would paint the brass black. These are all brass. I did not realize some had a steel body with brass rings and top.

I do need rings and one hinge. These lamps are not pristine but I believe they are salvageable. I do not have burners. I know they are available. Does everyone still use a carbide generator with these or another gas source?

Sorry for the questions, I just do not know much about these old lamps.

Pete
Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Jack Innes

I agree with t42 on not altering a good pair of lights but I think the halogen conversion is a tube with a bulb on it that replaces the burner without any alteration.
Many cars with gas lamps have a hidden acetylene tank to supply the gas.
The car pictured has fully functional gas lights which are quaint & sometimes fun but since I drive it a lot you will see a pair of semi-circular halogen driving lights mounted below the head lights. These are really welcome when you get caught out after dark. The lights are placed well back so the light also enters the gas lights through the air holes in the bottom & it looks like they are lit unless you look closely. The lights run off a 12 volt battery under the seat which needs charging infrequently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (118.5 KB, 19 views)
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Steam Engine Pete

Jack,
Thanks for the information. The conversion I was thinking about is exactly the one you mention. It has bulbs that screw on where the burner goes and the lamp is not altered at all. May end up going that route since it is going to be a driver.

Don't have to worry about the lamps, I will not make any alterations to them that would make them unrestorable.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 04-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
t42

The Brown gas generators were all brass from 1909-1912, and black and brass from 1913-14. In 1913 there were four suppliers of lights and each had their own gas generators. E&J, Brown, Victor, and Corcoran all provided lights to Ford. In 1915 they all started making lights that looked alike.
Skip
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Dirttrack

Here are some photos of 13-14 lights http://fordfarm.net/1314Headlights.html
Dirttrack is offline   Reply With Quote