Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
mike657894

Default Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

second problem with macs. and i also suffered this from e-sarco but thats for another forum. I ordered all the parts to put on a used set of chrome bumper bars. bolts nuts spacers and clamps. my order didn't show up for 2 weeks I call and they say the spacers are on back order and will be in about 2 months. If you dont have it why was it listed on your site for sale? Why did it go into the cart? Why would you think I ordered something every supplier has but i will wait two summer months over a spacer? In todays fast paced ordering market. Sell what you have mark what is sold out. None of the other suppliers have tried to sell me futures in parts i need today.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
ronn

as Mitch said- what a disaster this thread became after only a few responses.

Like a bad marriage................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
as Mitch said- what a disaster this thread became after only a few responses.

Like a bad marriage................!
Should be a lesson to anyone running a biz. A bad experience will be shared 100 times a good one maybe 5.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Ryan deleted the last few Mac's threads,,, a very good possibility this one will follow. All that is needed is to do a search "Macs" to find the FEW good and MANY bad reports from the remaining threads / posts that are in the archives.

It seems more people from off our shores buy more from Mac's,, is that a correct statement???

If so why?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Definitely one way to look at it. On the other hand, some of those disappeared items may just return however this time offered in a better quality. Remember, --a manufacturer cannot make a good quality item when the competition is too great with an inferior product. A good example is shackles. I know of at least one manufacturer that was working on producing a good quality shackle however the pricing would be more than the India-made ones are. Too big of a chance with the $$ investment to offer a quality piece when folks seemingly want to buy the cheap ones.

I might be too much of a capitalist, but I would think that if there was a demand for better shackles at $50 instead of (or in addition to) the current ones at $25 that they would be produced. I don't think enough of us are willing to make the trade off. Your example helps illustrate this. It's not that we don't WANT higher quality parts. Of course we do. It's just that we won't pay for them.

I've looked very closely into producing sought after trim parts for Studebakers. Everyone clamors for them until they are told of the probable tooling and production costs and accompanying retail. Then the demand drops to the point that it is not economically feasible to make them and the whining continues.

I also don't believe that forcing high priced parts on our market by doing away with off shore producers will work too well. How many of us would stay in the hobby if parts prices went the way of those for C2 Corvettes? The parts would be beautiful. They would be exact copies of originals. They would price most of us out of the hobby if they were the only ones available.

One attraction of the Model A hobby for some (many?) of us is the low cost relative to other vintage cars and trucks. Driving a major supplier out of business that provides many parts to the other parts vendors won't help the hobby (IMHO).

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 12-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[B]obviously some Barners have an axe to grind. The old adage is if don't have something good to say please say nothing. The thread started with the suggestion that only positive commen a are welcome but some people either can't read or choose not to honor that request. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Unhappy Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
Should be a lesson to anyone running a biz. A bad experience will be shared 100 times a good one maybe 5.
[B]People like you turned it into a disaster by not honoring the request of the poster. You chose negativity at all costs.
Now that it has been destroyed by a few it us time for Ryan to delete the the entire thread. What a shame. Wayne/B]
Old 12-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #28
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I might be too much of a capitalist, but I would think that if there was a demand for better shackles at $50 instead of (or in addition to) the current ones at $25 that they would be produced. I don't think enough of us are willing to make the trade off. Your example helps illustrate this. It's not that we don't WANT higher quality parts. Of course we do. It's just that we won't pay for them.

I've looked very closely into producing sought after trim parts for Studebakers. Everyone clamors for them until they are told of the probable tooling and production costs and accompanying retail. Then the demand drops to the point that it is not economically feasible to make them and the whining continues.

I also don't believe that forcing high priced parts on our market by doing away with off shore producers will work too well. How many of us would stay in the hobby if parts prices went the way of those for C2 Corvettes? The parts would be beautiful. They would be exact copies of originals. They would price most of us out of the hobby if they were the only ones available.

One attraction of the Model A hobby for some (many?) of us is the low cost relative to other vintage cars and trucks. Driving a major supplier out of business that provides many parts to the other parts vendors won't help the hobby (IMHO).

I do have to say im here instead of on the h.a.m.b. because of readily available cheap repo parts. If parts were not available or really pricey it would have a 350 in it because the parts are cheap and they are everywhere. My draw to the model a was that this car was sitting and I would see it every time I was at grandpas. Slumbering in that garage under a ton of junk. If it was a desoto or nash or chevy or buick I would have the drive to make a workable car out of it. But I wouldn't scour the earth for head gaskets. I think I really started to notice it around age 13
Old 12-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #29
DougVieyra

This tread asked for ". . . the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that a goodly number of Forum members have a great difficulty in not 'bashing', even when the thread specifically ask to avoid 'beating a dead horse' with a regurgitation of past negative comments - all well known, and now becoming tiresome. I was specifically looking to hear from 'the other side', and was pleased to see that some brave souls did contribute to give a positive answer.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #30
RonC

I think MACs is the sole manufacturer of steering shafts, sectors and worms?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #31
Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
second problem with macs. and i also suffered this from e-sarco but thats for another forum. I ordered all the parts to put on a used set of chrome bumper bars. bolts nuts spacers and clamps. my order didn't show up for 2 weeks I call and they say the spacers are on back order and will be in about 2 months. If you dont have it why was it listed on your site for sale? Why did it go into the cart? Why would you think I ordered something every supplier has but i will wait two summer months over a spacer? In todays fast paced ordering market. Sell what you have mark what is sold out. None of the other suppliers have tried to sell me futures in parts i need today.
Mike, I'm with you on that! I ordered a $200 steering wheel and it goes into the cart and then I get confirmation email and it wont come in till January?? WTH? I've had this with other items as well. Bratton's on the other hand you buy a column and worm, choose 3-7 day shipping and shows up the next day. Now that may be because I'm in VA but I have also talked to them on the phone and they are very knowledgeable and service friendly. I do have a lot of MAC parts that so far are good for just a driver project but I'm not made of money and this ride needs alot!!! I think with Bratton's I can have quality but save on the shipping. Just my .02
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #32
Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I think MACs is the sole manufacturer of steering shafts, sectors and worms?
Just got column / worm already pressed at Brattons.
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #33
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauford View Post
Just got column / worm already pressed at Brattons.
Just about every Model A parts supplier has this item. With the number of these that are sold in a year do you really believe each supplier tooled up and produced their own?

Mikes A-3524CW/DW $149

Battons 4950 $163

Snyders A-3524-43GW/GWR $158.95

Tams A-352443GW $158

Mac's A-3525CSW $150

Sacramento 00812-50/51 $169.95
Old 12-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #34
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
This tread asked for ". . . the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that a goodly number of Forum members have a great difficulty in not 'bashing', even when the thread specifically ask to avoid 'beating a dead horse' with a regurgitation of past negative comments - all well known, and now becoming tiresome. I was specifically looking to hear from 'the other side', and was pleased to see that some brave souls did contribute to give a positive answer.
Doug. Some people want to bash no matter what. Rather than allow them to hijack the thread, Ryan should remove their post or ban them. They serve no useful purpise and only hope to bring attention to themselves. They should be ashamed of themselves but they never are. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-13-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #35
1Metalbender

Ok I have a question, I have a rather lengthy "in cart" list going with macs...mostly hardware that I need for my closed cab probably not everything but what I could find nosing around their website...

That in mind, I called them the other day to make a order. I need hinge pins the most, so I wanted to speak to someone who knows these trucks better than me...I was told "you'll have to measure your hinges and tell us which ones you need..." Which I found odd so I didn't go any further...

I'm not trying to beat the horse here but I've never bought from macs or any other supplier...I'd like to buy EVERY fastener, screw, bolt, rivet, etc. needed for my truck at one time preferably in a lot of some sort...with all the bad press I'm reading here who would everybody recommend for the fasteners and gaskets? I'd like quality pieces as I only want to build this truck once and be done with it
1Metalbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #36
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

I suggest Mike's "A" Fordable Parts. http://www.mikes-afordable.com/SFNT.html

Or A&L, alas, no web presence but drop a dime and they will help you out. 1-860-693-0112
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #37
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The closest reproduction hardware chassis, etc... is Roy Naciewcz.
Fordbolts.com. Yes it costs more

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-11-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #38
bnchief

You also get what you pay for, I do not want parts i have to modify to make work.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #39
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
I suggest Mike's "A" Fordable Parts. http://www.mikes-afordable.com/SFNT.html

Or A&L, alas, no web presence but drop a dime and they will help you out. 1-860-693-0112
I have not had good luck with Mikes. Parts received were poor quality which I returned ( tool boxes ).
A&L are the best in the business. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-13-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #40
ian Simpson

I try to purchase most of my parts from Canadian suppliers to reduce shipping costs (do not get me started on the predatory practices of courier companies regarding international shipments). They purchase most of their stock from US sources. I am only interested in top quality, cost is not a concern. However, I cannot tell which is the best quality looking at indistinct pictures over the internet, therefore I have to rely on my suppliers.

I have connected with two Canadian suppliers I trust, and two US suppliers who I trust to fill in the gaps. The US suppliers are Snyders and Tams. The Canadian suppliers are George Moir of Stoney Plain, AB and The Old Car Centre of Langley, BC.

But as always, everything comes in twos: I will no longer accept any parts manufactured by Vintique or anything from Victoria British (off topic, an MGB parts supplier, sorry).

In short, it is tough to determine good quality from a distance without trustworthy suppliers. Also, you must be honest with your supplier and tell them the quality you expect.

I have used parts labelled as from Macs, and have never had a problem.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 12-11-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: poor grammmar
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote