Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
olut

Default 1929 generator 3rd brush adjustment, no powerhouse

Hi guys,

My 1929 roadster pickup is equipped with the original generator, which is no powerhouse. As my generator delivers too much amps, I need to adjust this. Despite searching for hours, I did not find any literature how to do that, I found video for powerhouse, but not for the other type (similar to cut model pic attached).

Can someone help me with info or sources where I can get info. Your kind assistance is very much appreciated, thank you.

Albert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (138.7 KB, 861 views)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 1929 generator 3rd brush adjustment, no powerhouse

You see the brush in the picture with the screw head facing DOWN. That is the adjustable third brush and needs to move UP to lower the amps. Don't press on the brush or it may crack. I use a screwdriver and press against the pivot post for that brush.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
olut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
You see the brush in the picture with the screw head facing DOWN. That is the adjustable third brush and needs to move UP to lower the amps. Don't press on the brush or it may crack. I use a screwdriver and press against the pivot post for that brush.
Thank you Tom, that screw with its head facing down on the pic, this is the screw to hold the brush itself, how to loosen the assy to get this brush moveable, or does it not have a fixture ?

Thank you,
Best Greetings from Vienna
Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by olut View Post
Thank you Tom, that screw with its head facing down on the pic, this is the screw to hold the brush itself, how to loosen the assy to get this brush moveable, or does it not have a fixture ?

Thank you,
Best Greetings from Vienna
The brush holder is not fixed and is movable, if you use the screwdriver method, be certain that the engine is not running and power if off. You can actually make the adjustment while the car is running using a non-conductive object, such as a piece of wood.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Olut -
Folgen Sie genau den Anweisungen von Tom Wesenberg, was er immer auch sagt! Er ist Fachmann in diesem Gebiet, und er hat ueber die Jahren vielen Leuten mit seinem Rat geholfen. Sie koennen sich auf ihn verlassen.
Weiteres: Besitzen Sie schon das "Modell A Instruktionsbuch", das auf deutsch gedruckt ist? Wenn nicht kann ich eventuell eine Kopie durch Scans machen, und dann an Sie uebersenden. Geben Sie mir nur Bescheid. Gern geschehen! Sie brauchen dieses Buch unbedingt!
Hochachtungsvoll aus Iowa,
Marshall V. Daut

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 06-21-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Following up on what Tom has written, it helps to remember that you move the third brush DOWN to move the charging UP, but the brush must be moved UP in order to move the charging rate DOWN. In other words, one is the opposite of the other. You shouldn't have two "up's" (up rate, up brush) or two "down's" (down rate, down brush). One of each is the ticket.
Or, think of it in terms of rotation of the engine: you move the brush in the direction of the rotation of the crankshaft and generator pulleys to increase the charging rate, but against the rotation to decrease the rate.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Will N

I think I found your problem- parts of your generator are missing. You shouldn't be able to see inside it like that.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
olut

Dear all supporters to my generation issue,

Thank you very much for all the detailed instructions, I will first try this on my spare generator. I am just a little scared to damage something, especially if the third brush can't be moved so easy.

So I repeat, the adjustment mechanism of the third brush has no fixture, no screw has to be loosen to move the third brush.

To the question of literature, I have about 10' of all repair and trouble shoot books, but nothing about the generator, any recommendations of such repair manuals would be very welcome as I am planning a general overhaul of my spare generator.

I recently bought an voltage regulator looking similar to the cut out switch and that requires a max charge current of 15A.

Once again, thank to all of you, this is a great support....
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Will N

Correct, the third brush can be moved without loosening a screw or anything. The brush holder rides in a slot in the rear plate, and tension is provided by a flat V shaped retaining spring to keep it from sliding around.

Be careful with that voltage regulator. I'm dealing with generator problems myself stemming from the use of that product. I don't know if the product was defective or what. I was careful not to set the charging rate above the 15 amps called for in the instructions. But I fried my generator, horn, and turn signal flasher with that thing installed.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Patrick L.

Tom W has posted and offered his advice, however, he is such a gentleman that he won't hawk his ware's. I'm no gentlemen, so I will.
My advice is to buy and install of of Tom's EVRs, keep the original cutout and never look back.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
dlfrisch

olut, I had the same problem.
Contact - [email protected]. They make a voltage regulator to replace the voltage / current cut off device, that's standard on your generator. It comes with directions how to adjust your amp out put by moving the one and only existing brush. Nice people to do business with. The owner- manager is John Regan.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I think I found your problem- parts of your generator are missing. You shouldn't be able to see inside it like that.
Thanks, that's the best laugh I've had in a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
olut, I had the same problem.
Contact - [email protected]. They make a voltage regulator to replace the voltage / current cut off device, that's standard on your generator. It comes with directions how to adjust your amp out put by moving the one and only existing brush. Nice people to do business with. The owner- manager is John Regan.
I hope you mean ONLY ONE adjustable brush, because you also have 2 stationary brushes, the power out, and the ground brush.

If the adjustable brush hasn't been moved for a long time (years) then it might be a bit tight to get it to move, but by using a screwdriver, with the opening of the case as a fulcrum, you should be able to move the brush holder.

There is a good starter and generator book, which the Model A parts houses (Bert's, Bratton's, Snyder's, etc.) all sell. This should help you restore the generator. Also a search should turn up all the information needed, but I like to have books. If you get stuck, just ask here again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #13
olut

Thank you so much guys, I also like the sense of humor. Now with the pic of the holding ring for the third brush I clearly understand the mechanism, quite simple actually, but before knowing all about it, it was complicated.

I have the instructions of the regulator replacing the OEM cut switch, that's why I need to set the max charging current to 15A. I hope with this my light switch has no longer to be used as a "regulator".

Thanks for all the support, great community,

Cheers from Vienna

Albert

Last edited by olut; 06-22-2014 at 04:09 AM.
olut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #14
olut

Thank you Tom, I will get the books for starter and generator, I guess my mechanic will need them.
Best Greetings
Albert