Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
scotts5window

Default Flathead V-8 Starter Rebuilding

Hello,, anybody know where and who is the best place to get a flathead starter cleaned,, and checked out and rebuilt. I need a good starter,, I would like USA parts if possible. Itís for my 1933 coupe. Any help would be appreciated thanks Scott S ,,,, phone 520-313-4908
scotts5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Flathead V-8 Starter Rebuilding

You could be helping yourself to add your location below you avatar. There may be a neighbor that can help you out. Or someone close.
Cheers
Tony

Last edited by KiWinUS; 11-18-2020 at 06:08 PM.
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
flatjack9

Any electrical motor repair shop in your area would be able to do it.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Kube

Also, you can buy these units remanufactured through NAPA. Quite a bit more reasonable than the few so called rebuilt units offered on eBay.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

BE carful of new. Last year I had a bendix problem with my 40, instead of fixing I got a new starter and Bendix from a reputable supplier (NOT their fault). Installed and had nothing but problems, slow crank, etc. Ronnie Roadster finally (Thanks Ron) found that the armature was out of round (by a lot) and binding. Swapped the new Bendix to the original starter and everything good. Supplier refunded me.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Also, you can buy these units remanufactured through NAPA. Quite a bit more reasonable than the few so called rebuilt units offered on eBay.
I've seen then in their on-line catalog, Kube. Have you gotten them from Napa? Curious on your thoughts.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Here is an eMail address for Rick - he has done some starter work for me, including hi-torque field coils, 12V conversions, etc - he is a good dude and fair in his prices. Tell him Dale Hays sent yah . . .

rblinc66@gmail.com
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I've seen then in their on-line catalog, Kube. Have you gotten them from Napa? Curious on your thoughts.
Got one a few weeks ago for a '48 I was working on. About $100. I buy the REMANUFACTURED units.
Many folks I suspect do not realize there is a huge difference between rebuilt and remanufactured.
Rebuilt gets only what is necessary to make it pass the "test". In other words "good enough".
Typically rebuilt is the cheaper option.
Remanufactured goes to much greater depth.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
flathead48

Kube, since bored& stroke threw my name in, I will tell you how I rebuilt a flathead starter. The unite is completely stripped, the housing and coil shoes are media blasted inside & out. The inside of housing & the shoes are coated with insulating paint. The coils ar gently cleaned, and tested, any of the wrappings that is damaged or missing is replaced The armature is checked for shorts and commutator is re cut that the shaft is checked for straightness and straighten if necessary, so the bendix doesn’t bind when engaged. Both end plates are put into a tumbler to bring them back to original finish (as close as possible) new bushings and brushes along with new stud and the starter is reassembled bench rested. If checks ok the outside of the housing is primed and painted with engine black. For this I was charging $115.00 & warranty for my work and parts is 6 months. I don’t know what the remanufactures do beyond that but that is my rebuild. This is not an advertising because I no longer do them. My point is it depends on the rebuilder & the remanufacturer.
Sorry for the novel
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
Kube, since bored& stroke threw my name in, I will tell you how I rebuilt a flathead starter. The unite is completely stripped, the housing and coil shoes are media blasted inside & out. The inside of housing & the shoes are coated with insulating paint. The coils ar gently cleaned, and tested, any of the wrappings that is damaged or missing is replaced The armature is checked for shorts and commutator is re cut that the shaft is checked for straightness and straighten if necessary, so the bendix doesn’t bind when engaged. Both end plates are put into a tumbler to bring them back to original finish (as close as possible) new bushings and brushes along with new stud and the starter is reassembled bench rested. If checks ok the outside of the housing is primed and painted with engine black. For this I was charging $115.00 & warranty for my work and parts is 6 months. I don’t know what the remanufactures do beyond that but that is my rebuild. This is not an advertising because I no longer do them. My point is it depends on the rebuilder & the remanufacturer.
Sorry for the novel
You had gone way beyond what the industry standard calls for.
"Rebuilt" by industry norms, to reiterate in part my earlier post, does just what is necessary to make the unit function.

How many starters did you go through that would have been fine without giving any attention to the armature? I'll bet a lot of them. YOU did it correct in my opinion. I've rebuilt many units myself through the past decades. It was always my belief that as long as I was "in there", that was the time to do everything, not simply what was necessary at that very moment in time.

As an example, the old Cloverleaf as well as Cleveland (national chains) of engine rebuilders: They would bore one cylinder if it was beyond "spec" and install ONE oversize piston. They would NOT bore all cylinders to "match". If the freeze plugs were not leaking, they would not be changed. New lifters? If they were shot. Otherwise, nope. Grind a crank? If it needed it. Otherwise a polish and new bearings would suffice. The list goes on and on.
As you can see, the engine was rebuilt. Was it quality? Not by a long shot.

Last edited by Kube; 11-20-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added information
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
flathead48

Can’t say about the armatures because I never put a starter together without checking it out .
I will say I have found a lot shafts that needed straightening .
I
Old 11-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
hop up

I would say NAPA but with flathead48 experience and bored&stroked endorsement of Flathead48 I wouldn’t go anywhere else
Old 11-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
big job

We also get those from Napa #1 they are local no fooling with online or shipping. #2 if
it fails they give up another
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop up View Post
I would say NAPA but with flathead48 experience and bored&stroked endorsement of Flathead48 I wouldnít go anywhere else
He no longer does them...
Old 11-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #15
flathead48

Gentlemen, I did not mean to make my post sound like a commercial, I no longer rebuild them. I was only trying to make the point that there are rebuilders that take pride in their work and remanufacture that may cut a corner in the name of profit. So you cant paint either group with a wide brush. Big job you are right shipping costs were getting excessive because of weight and the down time if you didn’t have a spare. Napa is a good outfit.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
Gentlemen, I did not mean to make my post sound like a commercial, I no longer rebuild them. I was only trying to make the point that there are rebuilders that take pride in their work and remanufacture that may cut a corner in the name of profit. So you cant paint either group with a wide brush. Big job you are right shipping costs were getting excessive because of weight and the down time if you didnít have a spare. Napa is a good outfit.
I never took your posts as anything but you making a valid point about some "rebuilders" offering better workmanship than others. I can't imagine anyone taking your posts otherwise.
I can not agree more with your earlier comments.

There used to be a carburetor and fuel pump "rebuilder" that frequented the Barn (banned). His idea of rebuilding was to clean, paint and install new parts. It was hit or miss whether or not his stuff actually functioned.
And then there are guys like Charlie that "remanufactures" pumps and carbs. Beautiful craftmanship each and every time. Plus, he actually tests his wares prior to shipping. That's pride in workmanship as apparently you'd demanded of yourself.
So once again, you are 100% correct in that there are different "levels" of craftmanship.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #17
35fordtn

I just finished up a starter and generator last night (these are for a Model B)! They are fun to restore, and I like to experience my OCD when doing them. I will mention I do not build them for people simply because the time it takes, usually only for myself. But they are easy to do with patience.

Heres how I do it we will use a starter for example:

Dissassembly, and inspect. Blast the housing and endplates, and band, install new bushings if needed. Epoxy primer and fill any pitting. That is a pet peeve of mine. I hate pitting. Another coat of HB primer and final sand and paint in AUTOMOTIVE PPG 9300 black. While the paint is drying I test the armature on a armature growler. If it passes the test I turn the Commutator on the lathe. Then the Mica is under cut slightly using a hack saw blade. Retest on the growler. I spray the windings with Gylptal. Next, the field coils. If the insulation is worn through I reinsulate using 3M glass part tape. Then spray the coils with gylptal. Next solder on NEW brushes, and a new post.

To install the field coils usually a tailpipe expander is needed to fully seat them for the armature to pass through. New feild coil pole shoe screws are always used.

A simply rattle can paint job and new brushes is not a rebuild like what you see people selling on eBay, ETC. the field coils must be removed and inspected. I usually just intall NEW coils in generators and reuse the originals in starters if I can

Last edited by 35fordtn; 11-20-2020 at 10:50 AM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #18
flathead48

35ford, well done, that is how they are suppose to be rebuilt.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
Pete

I have always replaced them with gear drive type starters. They last forever even when cranking a 14 to 1 engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #20
Floyd

Everyone is correct on this post. there is no real disagreement. Unlike the technical discussions, this is actually a lesson in English grammar. Kube's comments of "rebuilt" and "remanufactured" are adjectives. They are industry standard terms added to specific parts- nouns.
The rest of you are tangled up in using the words as verbs.
More popcorn.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote