Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #21
jerbo

Default Re: Oil Leak Troubleshooting

i see in this discussion of the oil return pipe chat about a 'copper' washer. When i bought out an old Model A repair garage years ago i found lots of white fiber type washers that went between the return pipe & the block. No metal [copper or brass] ones at all. Looking at Snyder's latest catalog, page A-131 i see them selling: "Pair of hard fiber gaskets...as originally used...usa" part # A-6648 $2.50. I have never had nor seen any Model A with metal 'washers' or gaskets in this place, maybe not using the original fiber means it will leak ?? I've never used metal ones, never used any kind of 'sealer' just the plain old fiber washer..... Jerbo
jerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #22
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbo View Post
i see in this discussion of the oil return pipe chat about a 'copper' washer. When i bought out an old Model A repair garage years ago i found lots of white fiber type washers that went between the return pipe & the block. No metal [copper or brass] ones at all. Looking at Snyder's latest catalog, page A-131 i see them selling: "Pair of hard fiber gaskets...as originally used...usa" part # A-6648 $2.50. I have never had nor seen any Model A with metal 'washers' or gaskets in this place, maybe not using the original fiber means it will leak ?? I've never used metal ones, never used any kind of 'sealer' just the plain old fiber washer..... Jerbo
So you saying you don't use the copper washer to seal around the bolt? I would think it would leak. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
Old 03-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
So you saying you don't use the copper washer to seal around the bolt? I would think it would leak. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
In post #21 he said " just the plain old fiber washer..... Jerbo"
Old 03-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #24
Mikeinnj

The large FIBER washers go inside each end of the oil return pipe. The small copper washers go betweem the mounting bolts anon the OUTSIDE of the return pipe.Sealant only needed on the large fiber washers.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #25
TerryH

That comment about the “rear main janitor” reminded me of my first Model A, in 1964. It had a pretty serious leak there, and my dad told to wire up an empty ham tin.....which I did, and it worked great....no more marking his/our driveway.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #26
alexiskai

I've been thinking about putting something on those oil return bolts where the copper washer goes. A tiny dab of Permatex Ultra Black maybe.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote