Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #41
petehoovie

Default Re: Drake Sale:

Backorder clarification > https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/backorder.asp

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #42
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Well, there goes another "Reliable Internet Source" out the window.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #43
uncle buck

As I have said in the past , if you can do it better then do it. These guys have been providing us parts successfully for decades now so their business model must work for them. It certainly has worked for me and many others to be able to source parts from them.

Last edited by uncle buck; 02-17-2020 at 10:01 AM.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #44
35fordtn

While my personal opinion is that "out of stock" is the most prevalent option, why are we arguing over the terminology?

Back-Order, out of stock, temporarily unavailable, etc. etc. Makes it clear the supplier is out of said product. Usually, a simple phone call will reveal when/if it will be available again..

Heaven forbid a company to have a sale on products, as it can turn into a quite negative slinging match on here.

I am a dealer through "most" all reproduction places except Drake, so I am not trying to defend his products or company. I think it is just very silly, and a bit of a slap in the face to a company that has provided parts for decades in this hobby; reading this entire thread.

Very recently I ran out of a product (a very small one at that) that we make here locally. I waited until I had enough people (and vendors) interested in purchasing them again before I re-stocked, due to costs involved and declining interest. I guess that puts me in that same category as the arguments in this thread.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #45
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Heaven forbid a company to have a sale on products, as it can turn into a quite negative slinging match on here.
I think it is just very silly, and a bit of a slap in the face to a company that has provided parts for decades in this hobby; reading this entire thread.

It's "laughable", Mike - these never ending criticisms of Drake ...A real head shaker...
The bashing of MAC's is even worse...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 02-16-2020 at 09:20 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #46
TJ

Quote:
While my personal opinion is that "out of stock" is the most prevalent option, why are we arguing over the terminology?

Back-Order, out of stock, temporarily unavailable, etc. etc. Makes it clear the supplier is out of said product. Usually, a simple phone call will reveal when/if it will be available again..

I am a dealer through "most" all reproduction places except Drake, so I am not trying to defend his products or company. I think it is just very silly, and a bit of a slap in the face to a company that has provided parts for decades in this hobby; reading this entire thread.

Very recently I ran out of a product (a very small one at that) that we make here locally. I waited until I had enough people (and vendors) interested in purchasing them again before I re-stocked, due to costs involved and declining interest. I guess that puts me in that same category as the arguments in this thread.
Well said Michael.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #47
philipswanson

I don't bother going to Drake until a last resort. Almost all the time, Carpenter has what I need. I also like the fact, unlike Drake, that Carpenter makes allot of his own stuff like rubber products for instance.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:36 PM   #48
Hal Beatty

Quote:

Welcome to the internet/social media... I'm still trying to decide if the advantages outweigh all the crap.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #49
tubman

I have no dog in the fight about who handles their backorders properly, but I can offer some clarification as to the terminology. I owned and ran a company for almost 50 years that specialized in computer systems for small to medium sized companies, just about all of which were extremely successful.

First of all, there are three basic statuses for an inventory item :

1. In stock
2. Temporarily out of stock
3. Unavailable.

"In Stock" is defined as the quantity available, which is On Hand minus Committed Inventory (the amount committed to fulfil orders already in house). Thus it is possible to have a shelf full of an item and still be out of stock.

"Temporarily Out of Stock" is defined as an item that has not enough available to fulfill future orders, but there is a tangible commitment to add to inventory, such as an outstanding purchase order or a scheduled manufacturing order.

"Unavailable" is defined as an item that has not enough available to fulfill future orders and there is no tangible commitment to acquire additional inventory.

An item is "Backordered" on a customer order if it is "Temporarily Out of Stock", but not if it is "Unavailable".

It can get complicated beyond this. For example, some businesses may divide "Unavailable" into two categories : "Currently Unavailable" and "Discontinued" in order to give customers more information as to the actual situation. If this is done, it is up to the judgement of the Purchasing Agent or Production Manager.

The status of Backorders is also subject to company policy if the demand exceeds the quantity available plus the quantity on order. As an example. A company has 100 of an item with 80 committed to current orders and 40 on order when four new orders for 20 each come in. Theoretically, the item in question should be flagged as backordered on the first three customer orders but on the fourth order it should be flagged as unavailable. In practice this is never done, primarily because it looks bad and secondarily, the existence of a current purchase order implies the probability of future purchase orders.

All of this is a requirement of an integrated inventory management system, whether it is computerized or run manually. As a side note, when I started in the computer business in the middle sixties, the company that I worked for had all of this down and working correctly. There is no excuse that current systems can't do the same.

Thus endeth "Inventory Management 101" at "Ford Barn University".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote