Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
fritzz13

Default gear oil

what gear oil should i use in my 28 model a 4 banger tranny and diff.
fritzz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: gear oil

Something thick like Mobil 636 is what has worked for me.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
fritzz13

ok thanks tom.
fritzz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

All the vendors have there mix called 600W. 600w is a name,not a weight, of a lubricant still sold by Mobil today.

Mobil 600W
Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
ctlikon0712

Thanks for the link Mike. Good stuff.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
roccaas

600 wt and a little STP makes for a nice smooth shift. The 600wt is actually an older steam engine lubricant, the STP keeps the foaming down and the viscosity up.

I use the stuff regularly rather than fixing the slight leaks.

BTW, you're not talking Differential are you???
Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
QGolden

My service bulletin indicates the use of 1 1/2 pints of M-533. in the tranny and differential, and on another page, simply states "gear lube" in the differential. The "Gear Lube" could be misleading as Rear Ends are different today, the seals are different today. Certainly "Gear Lube" in 1931 is different than "Gear Lube" today.

I am not sure if 600 W was ever officially recommended? It is used a lot. I has been around for a very long time, it pre-dates the Model A. I do not know if it contains the EP additives required for a differential or not. Snyders interchanges the names 600-W and M-533, but again, I have never seen any documentation that they should be interchanged. I would certainly not mix the two if I some 600 W. I am sure someone here knows, but I have never seen the data.

I bought the M-533 for my current build. Because I do not know what has been put in before I am draining and re-filling both.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Patrick L.

The oil for these monsters is appr. 250 weight.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

QGolden: I believe the spec calling for M-533 was changed to 600w. There have been many lengthy discussions on here about what to use, what weight, how much, what to mix it with. The vendors have offered to us what they refer to as 600w. Can't ask for more than that.
For further info you could try doing a search on the subject.
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
QGolden: I believe the spec calling for M-533 was changed to 600w. There have been many lengthy discussions on here about what to use, what weight, how much, what to mix it with. The vendors have offered to us what they refer to as 600w. Can't ask for more than that.
For further info you could try doing a search on the subject.
paul in CT
Thank you.
Actually I did do a search. Several. And you are right there is lots of information, more than I can digest and some of it contradictory. If you know of a thread that answers my questions I would be glad to see it.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Why are some trying to re-invent "SLICK"? 90 W gear oil is very SUFFICIENT for trans. & diff. If you just want to feel safer, or have a leaker, use 140W. If leaks are a bad problem, maybe just fix them, or just use that runny roofing tar, in a no label can, mixed 50/50 with STP! Bill W. (Yes, I'm being silly, but some of the concoctions I've heard of are about extreme as this!)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
My service bulletin indicates the use of 1 1/2 pints of M-533. in the tranny and differential, and on another page, simply states "gear lube" in the differential. The "Gear Lube" could be misleading as Rear Ends are different today, the seals are different today. Certainly "Gear Lube" in 1931 is different than "Gear Lube" today.

I am not sure if 600 W was ever officially recommended? It is used a lot. I has been around for a very long time, it pre-dates the Model A. I do not know if it contains the EP additives required for a differential or not. Snyders interchanges the names 600-W and M-533, but again, I have never seen any documentation that they should be interchanged. I would certainly not mix the two if I some 600 W. I am sure someone here knows, but I have never seen the data.

I bought the M-533 for my current build. Because I do not know what has been put in before I am draining and re-filling both.
M-533 is a Ford designation, while 600w is the manufacturer designation, this may explain the usage of the two terms. Fords designation for a manufacturers product.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
M-533 is a Ford designation, while 600w is the manufacturer designation, this may explain the usage of the two terms. Fords designation for a manufacturers product.
Well that would explain a lot. Thank you. The more I research it the more questions I got. So I stopped researching and just bought the M 533. Even on the MAFCA website in the Technical section on Lubricants there is conflicting information in that someone ask about 600 weight oil, and the technical writer does not correct the question regarding the viscosity error in his question, but answered the question.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
Well that would explain a lot. Thank you. The more I research it the more questions I got. So I stopped researching and just bought the M 533. Even on the MAFCA website in the Technical section on Lubricants there is conflicting information in that someone ask about 600 weight oil, and the technical writer does not correct the question regarding the viscosity error in his question, but answered the question.
As in the link I provided to Mobil, 600W does not mean 600 weight.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
ford3

why do you think ford used 600w oil?
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
raprice

I've been using the 600W bought from Bratton's for a number of years without any problems. I use it in the transmission, rear end and steering box.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote