Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
sofield

Default Float A Motor Rear Mounts

On today’s threads there were a few threads that referred to Float Motor Rear Mounts. Keep in mind that the Ford rear motor mounts that are bolted between the frame and flywheel housing is an integral part of the car and is considered a frame structure. Using the rear Float Motor Mounts without using the yoke support on the rear of the transmission further compromises the integery of the original frame structure. This leads to brake problems, sagging frames, drive train misalignment etc.

I bought a 31 pickup that had Float Motor Rear Mounts with no rear trans yoke support. The sag was so bad they had a ½” stack of washers placed between cross shaft mounting brackets and the bottom of the frame. I corrected the problem by straightening the frame, discarding the Float Motor Rear Mounts and installing an original set of mounts. Since the sag was so bad I welded piece of 1/8’ flat steel on the underside of the frame from just in front of the sector shaft to 6” back of the replaced rear mounts on both driver and passenger side. Problem solved.

Sofield
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Float A Motor Rear Mounts

Interesting.

Not all of Henry’s designs need improvement.

90 years and still going strong. Just good maintenance and a lot of love, and they will last another 90 years. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote