Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
PC/SR

Default Odometer question

Anyone know how to "zero" the odometer? I put on the decals, but the mile column tuns at .3, the 10mile column turns on 8 miles, the hundred column turns on 7. Its a 30-31 round speedometer. I guess there is some sort of toggle inside that needs to be lined up all across the columns. Thanks for any help.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: Odometer question

Before you install the decals, you need to be sure that all the wheels are "in line" - reading the same number directly across the six wheels. Then you must overlay the decals exactly in line with the original numbers. That means the zeros must be over the zeros. Once you have done what you have done, there is no correction other than to start over. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
PC/SR

Thanks Gar, my problem is getting the zeros in a line. Do I have to turn it over all the way to 100,000 miles?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Aerocraft

I suggest that you pull out the pin that is holding the shaft for the odometer wheels in place, remove the shaft and wheels, and carefully remove the wheels from the shaft. It would help if you have a junk speedometer to learn on. The early oval SW and the later round one are constructed almost the same so you could use an earlier speedometer or even one up through the mid thirties for your "training".

Develop an understanding as to how the wheels are indexed to each other and you can easily then understand how to reset the speedometer to zero. Just use a light touch and you will quickly become the local expert. As most instructions say, "assembly is simply the reverse of disassembly". While it is apart, figure out where it should be lubricated and oil the bushings with a light grade of machine oil. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
PC/SR

I guess that is the way to go. I was hoping for some hidden secret easy way, but....Thanks