Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
termite

Default model a overdrive

Been in "A"S over 50 years have 8,time to cruise , looking for the easiest , cost effective way to reduce rpm,s will pay cash or swap thanks Steve Diaz [email protected] 708 373 8507
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
John LaVoy

Default Re: model a overdrive

You have several options, they run from changing the rearend gear ratio to an over drive which there are three normal options and of course there is changing the transmission to one of the 4 or 5 speeds.

The gear ratio change would probably be the least expensive, then the BorgWarner or Laycock overdrive, followed by Mitchell Overdrive then the 4 or 5 speed transmissions.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Tom Endy

My advice would be to go for a Mitchell overdrive. They are a factory made unit and can be installed without molesting the Model A, except for a small slot cut into the floorboard and carpet to accommodate the shifting lever. They can also be installed without completely disassembling the rear axle assembly.

They are 26%, I believe, and will allow you to cruise at 55-60 with same engine RPM you would do at 45 without the overdrive. A good companion to the overdrive is a Snyder 5.5 compression head.

The Mitchell sells for around $2,200. However, they can be removed from the car and they retain much of their value for resale.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
400A-64

Having used a Borg-Warner OD for 18 years I was very hasppy...until I drove an "A" with a Mitchell OD. When I got back in the house I went directly to the phone and ordered one. After about 85 thousand miles.. I had the Mitchell OD stripped down and checked..They could NOT measure any wear !! The only part to be replaced was a rear seal as it was starting to harden. Am I a fan of Mitchell OD's? You bet I am!!
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Logan

If you want the "stock" appearance get a 4 speed. But the mitchel is the best overdrive for all around driving for flat ground and mountains because you can split gears in the mountains. But I would not recomend the borgwarner/Volvo electric overdrives because parts are getting rarer, and they aren't as "user friendly".
Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Del in NE Ohio

I put a Mitchell OD in my Sedan this past Spring after driving several of my friends "A"s with 5 speeds and 4 speeds. I chose the Mitchell because I love DRIVING my "A", double clutching and all. It wasn't cheap, but I can't remember the last time I spent that amount of money on a product and had it exceed my expectations!
You won't be disappointed.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Dave in MN

I have over 50k miles on my Mitchell and it still works flawlessly. Splitting the gears on the hills is awesome. The overdrive is one of the reasons I also have over 50K on my engine also and have not had to touch it.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Barry B./ Ma.

Don't you just love it Dave. When I'm cruising up a long hill and she starts to lug a little I shift that Mitchell into low range and she gets a second wind and flies over the hill then back to high range. I know the feeling, can't beat it.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
termite

Thanks everyone I called mitchells and ordered one , 13 week wait but price goes up next year. I,m in Illinois and plan on driving to oskosh and possibly marquette. right now have a "A" crusing central florida till easter, thanx again Steve Diaz 708 373 8507
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
columbiA

No one has mentioned the Columbia 2 speed axle that was an option for 34-48 fords & mercs .Both of my A s have these OD s that I have adapted to fit.If done right,it looks like it belongs there.Ihave put well over 100,000 miles on one of them since 1960.I use 35-36 LH axle hsgs as they are same diameter on tapered section from 28-36.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
No one has mentioned the Columbia 2 speed axle that was an option for 34-48 fords & mercs .Both of my A s have these OD s that I have adapted to fit.If done right,it looks like it belongs there.Ihave put well over 100,000 miles on one of them since 1960.I use 35-36 LH axle hsgs as they are same diameter on tapered section from 28-36.
Sounds like a good option. Do you have any pictures of it. I sure like the Brog Warner overdrive in my Studebakers, and the overdrive most people use sounds good, but just looks so out of place to see a large square aluminum box in the middle of the driveshaft.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
buyitsmart

I ordered my Mitchell transmission and OD in Oct. According to Sue it should ship Jan. 10th. I'm pretty darned excited to get it installed. I'm also installing a new V8 clutch with the flyweights and a lightened flywheel. I guess I better make sure my brakes are working great! LOL.
buyitsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
termite

Let me know when yours is in , if your not too far would love to come out and give you a hand? steve 941 751 3716
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
jan bogert

for 995.00 and the cost of the s10 5 speed witch was 225.00 i not only had the overdrive i also could down shift into 4th 3rd 2nd there fully snycronised. auto restorations of muncie indiania sell the kit and there so good my nieghbor has on in his 29 sedan also mine s in 31 coupe the trans will only be back about 2" from original
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
columbiA

Tom,Idont have any pics of Columbia but a lot of those that look at it think its an original accesory.If you truely wanted an original accesory OD,you would need a TWIN-EX 2 sp axle that shifted like a model T Ruckstell or you could use the Ruckstell dual-high OD trans ,like the one that sold recently for a mere $5,000 +!!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
termite

I would like to help you install?? Steve