Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
coupe1942

Default New museum name change for Ford

Anyone know the real reason behind the name change after so many years? I know what the article says, but usually there is more to the story than what a Director may state.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/He...411533405.html

I worked for a state government agency which did such and it was an astronomical cost involved with new phone number listings, new business cards, new business envelopes, getting folk to find the new agency and forget the old name they had known forever, logos and so forth. Ultimately, no one who worked there truly knew just why it had been so important to come up with a new name and even with the best intent it was a real headache for everyone, consumers and staff.

Any feelings about this change? Will it help the hobby or draw in more folk?

I do know it is their business and they can do as they wish. Not arguing htat at all, but just wondering why after all these years?

Last edited by coupe1942; 01-24-2017 at 02:20 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: New museum name change for Ford

It is really closer to the truth and may attract more visitors. They may not have to change much as it is only an extension to the original name. BTY anyone that has not seen this and GreenField village is really missing out. Takes a good 2 days to see it properly.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

" Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation" This would "allow" things not related to Henry to be displayed as long as it is innovation.

This could include things modern and not Ford. The old name "The Henry Ford Museum" denotes only things Henry Ford. IMHO
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
mhsprecher

I thought the name The Henry Ford was dumb. The Henry Ford what? I thought that it was called The Henry Ford Museum? That made sense, but The Henry Ford was an incomplete sentence. Maybe I am just too old. I think that some museums and the like are experiencing drop offs in attendance, so some rebranding may be in order. Changing it from the most recent name makes sense to me as it is more informative.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
" Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation" This would "allow" things not related to Henry to be displayed as long as it is innovation.

This could include things modern and not Ford. The old name "The Henry Ford Museum" denotes only things Henry Ford. IMHO
So does that mean you think that the change is a good thing or not?
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

Many people thought that the Henry Ford museum only had Ford-related items. That is not the case! I saw the most beautiful 1963 Buick Riviera at the Henry Ford when I was there for the Heritage Festival last year. The museum truly is a collection of innovative and noteworthy technology across the ages.

I fully support this name change. If you've never been there, or to Greenfield Village, it is certainly worth a few days of your time to do so. If you are inclined to look at original blueprints of Model A parts, there is also a Research Center there that you can get lost in for days!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I thought the name The Henry Ford was dumb. The Henry Ford what? I thought that it was called The Henry Ford Museum? That made sense, but The Henry Ford was an incomplete sentence. Maybe I am just too old. I think that some museums and the like are experiencing drop offs in attendance, so some rebranding may be in order. Changing it from the most recent name makes sense to me as it is more informative.
I tried to enter "X2" but that was too short so....
"I heard dat"
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
So does that mean you think that the change is a good thing or not?
Yes a good thing, allows expansion and good public perception of contents before a visit.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

When i went 6 months ago i was surprised to see more competitive make cars than fords....

There are trains, planes, agricultural equipment, commodities clothes and household things, actual past presidential cars and more....

We got lucky, the day we went as it was the anniversary of Henry giving his workers $5.00 a day so the admittance fee was $5.00 per person for that day
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
2manycars

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. I could not have said it better, even the old part.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
MikeK

Default Marketing

With the huge success of the syndicated CBS-TV program "Innovation Nation" with Mo Rocca the name change becomes the perfect opportunity to ride the coat tails for free publicity.

An added benefit that will help ring the attendance tills will be the new interest and association this will create in the minds of the young generation- you know, those kids that we cannot get engaged in the old car hobby no matter how hard we try!

I say this is a win-win. In my mind the old name "The Henry Ford" always associated with the even older "The Henry Ford Museum". For the younger generation "museum" has cold connotations and they are not thrilled to go to one. "Innovation" may be the new key word that will far outweigh the minor expense of some signage and paperwork changes.

Last edited by MikeK; 01-24-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: My OCD compelled me to make an extremely minor correction.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I just kept calling it "The Henry Ford Museum", as that made sense.
As mentioned, it DOES take two days to cover it all, so don't make the mistake I made and buy both tickets with only one day to spend. I never did get to Greenfield Village, so after wasting that ticket, I still need to make a return trip someday.

Actually you should spend a third or fourth day there and do some research right next door at the Benson Ford Research Library.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
raprice

I don't have any problem with the new name. It opens up exhibitions that don't necessarily have anything to do with Henry Ford.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I did the henry ford museum in 4 hours
Old 01-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
J Franklin

You had to miss a whole lot if only 4 hours. Are you a speed reader?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
You had to miss a whole lot if only 4 hours. Are you a speed reader?
Nope saw everything, even worked on the T putting some parts on it...
Old 01-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #17
CarlG

My wife visited there once while on a trip. Brought me a souvenior -- a nifty die cast model truck. Not Ford.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #18
noboD

Maybe a change in ownership/leadership? That would follow with the new rules for the show.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
TerryO

Quote:
I did the henry ford museum in 4 hours
You must be a speed walker and speed reader. I spent a full day and could have spent longer if they were open later and if I was younger.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #20
JDupuis

I've spent 3 full days there in the past, and have never made it out to see Greenfield Village yet. Too much to take in.. But then I am a slow reader with dyslexia.
I love the Model A that was driven there from South America. The Father and Son team that did that trip, made global news. I remember seeing the story on tv. Jeff