Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Installation of Alternator on a Model A

There is no perfect method, generator or alternator.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
There is no perfect method, generator or alternator.
The original generator with an EVR has been my perfect solution. Haven't touched the generator since I restored it in the early 90's and have about 10 years on a junkyard battery. I checked the battery water about 3 years ago and should probably check it again.

BTW, if I needed more amps to run sealed beam headlamps, I'd go with a generator from the 40's or early 50's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #23
mralternator
BANNED

Send a message via Yahoo to mralternator

in case no on cared to notice,( A man) is asking how to mount his alternator he bought from A Parts store , Not a generator needing the EVR invention/.60 amp alternator / small pulley someone doesn't know how to properly adjust/or any other device you all care to advertise.
How about helping this man find the bracketing advice he needs??? instead of voicing how outdated your opinions are concerning a generator /alternator, I would offer assistance , but the continued crying of most you is too much to bare
mralternator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralternator View Post
in case no on cared to notice,( A man) is asking how to mount his alternator he bought from A Parts store , Not a generator needing the EVR invention/.60 amp alternator / small pulley someone doesn't know how to properly adjust/or any other device you all care to advertise.
How about helping this man find the bracketing advice he needs??? instead of voicing how outdated your opinions are concerning a generator /alternator, I would offer assistance , but the continued crying of most you is too much to bare
if you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen, it is what it is..
this stuff has been going on since you signed up last month on all your posts

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-17-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralternator View Post
Tbird answered in #3 and Mike answered with a picture in #7.

As I recall you started to stir the pot, but have removed some of your posts.

I was going to stay out of this, but decided to let Mike know what I found to be a perfect solution, then you jump back in to stir things up.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Mr. Alternator deleted all his posts except for the one I guess he thought no one would notice. And yes Mitch he has been pushing his sales agenda since signing up but he leaves out facts about the alt that might hurt his sales.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Mr. Alternator deleted all his posts except for the one I guess he thought no one would notice. And yes Mitch he has been pushing his sales agenda since signing up but he leaves out facts about the alt that might hurt his sales.

Yep, last night his profile showed 102 posts and now shows 91
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
zzlegend

If you go back and read, I think you will find post from two others that were deleted also. Perhaps a moderator stepped in and tried to find some peace. Just a thought.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
jkcrosson

I wouldn't mind deleting some of Mraltenator's post. Seems his only agenda is to stir the pot. Come to think of it, I guess I just did a little stirring of my own.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
zzlegend

That's what's nice about living in this great country of ours. "People have choices". Let's just hope it stays that way. Be it a generator or an alternator, whitewalls or black walls, etc. etc. Its all about what a guy wants and his personal preference. Life is to short, and there is no reason to pull out the paddles or the defibrillator.
Now back to A-Man's original question. Did you get the answer you were looking for? You guys have a good evening. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #31
Cob
Administrator

Fella's - some posts were Moderated and deleted.

I've said this before, so let me remind everyone again that if you start attacking each other, you run the risk of being banned.
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The original generator with an EVR has been my perfect solution. Haven't touched the generator since I restored it in the early 90's and have about 10 years on a junkyard battery. I checked the battery water about 3 years ago and should probably check it again.

BTW, if I needed more amps to run sealed beam headlamps, I'd go with a generator from the 40's or early 50's.
For awhile we were able to buy a new armature that was heavy-duty rate at like 40 amps. Now it appears that all new armatures are out of production. So two questions;

.....Can a stock armature be rewound in such a way to increase the amp rating?

.....How many more amps can a Powerhouse reliably put out over the max reliable output of a "L1/L2" type?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
For awhile we were able to buy a new armature that was heavy-duty rate at like 40 amps. Now it appears that all new armatures are out of production. So two questions;

.....Can a stock armature be rewound in such a way to increase the amp rating?

.....How many more amps can a Powerhouse reliably put out over the max reliable output of a "L1/L2" type?

I've never wanted to sacrifice a generator to find out how much it can safely put out, but have seen the rating of 12 amps continuous for the long generator and 15 amps for the powerhouse. By removing the band or rear cover for better cooling, I'd think a guy could safely add 3 amps to each. I think the need for cooling air is more important than the heavier wire on the armature. I see more thrown solder at the commutator than I see burned armature wires, but in either case a flow of cooling air would be the first thing I'd want. There's just no good way to get the cooling air and still have the generator look stock, that's why if I needed several more amps I'd just install a later generator with a 5/8" wide pulley.

I find my good silver original reflectors and 32 cp bulbs works fine for night driving and only takes about 9 or 10 amps.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I've never wanted to sacrifice a generator to find out how much it can safely put out, but have seen the rating of 12 amps continuous for the long generator and 15 amps for the powerhouse. By removing the band or rear cover for better cooling, I'd think a guy could safely add 3 amps to each. I think the need for cooling air is more important than the heavier wire on the armature. I see more thrown solder at the commutator than I see burned armature wires, but in either case a flow of cooling air would be the first thing I'd want. There's just no good way to get the cooling air and still have the generator look stock, that's why if I needed several more amps I'd just install a later generator with a 5/8" wide pulley.

I find my good silver original reflectors and 32 cp bulbs works fine for night driving and only takes about 9 or 10 amps.
That I agree with 110%.

As a kid I remember my dad & I driving home from a Model-A meeting after dark with 50/50 cp bulbs and good original reflectors. After driving for an hour or so (which was a pretty decent distance), the battery would become discharged somewhat so everyone would pull into a coffee shop for a break. They would leave the engines running and the generator charging at about 10 amps at a fast idle. In about 30 minutes, the batteries would be recharged so we would be on our way again and make it home just fine. If the lights are drawing 15 amps and the generator can safely replenish 10 amps, how long can you drive with a 5 amp discharge with a good 6v battery? How long does it take someone to get where they are going driving after dark??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
Keith True

New armatures are back in production.I looked at one about six weeks ago,I can't speak to the quality of the materials because I just have no way of knowing.I can tell you that the things LOOK great.I couldn't see any signs of poor workmanship at all.No gobs of solder,no crooked or twisted wires,it just looks like it should.It wound up being made offshore,but not by choice.He just couldn't find any manufacturers here that would take on a small manufacturing run.The last armature shop in this area closed up a few years ago,they did both rewinding and manufacturing.They wanted a minimum of 1000 units to manufacture new.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

I hope these units, if rewound, haven't had the armature core sanded on a belt sander, like the last generator armature I worked with. A very small air gap between the armature and field poles is a must.

I measured a good generator at about .005" air gap.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
steve s

If anyone wants a good deal on an alternative generator, I've got a Delco with external regulator that was modified to mount on a Model A. I used it for many years after burning up two stockers (sealed beams, cowl lights, heater fan, tube radio). It has a special armature (or something) that I was told was designed for lower rpm use, such as tractors.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
Keith True

When I first drove my any real amount in 1973 I had my lights working OK,but not as good as they could have been.I didn't know too much about the refractory value of the silver on the reflectors,or about the focusing of the bulbs.I was however,17,and liked to drive every chance I got.I could get my A to run with the lights on with just a slight discharge.I would guess now at 1-2 amp discharge.I could just see a thin black line between the center marker on the guage and the needle.I ran that car many nights from dark to dawn on a Friday or Saturday night,and still have enough pooch in the battery to start the car.I would do as Brent did,as kids we ate every hour or two so when I stopped I would run the car for a few minutes before shutting it off.My old Gordon Smith air compressor had no charging system on it either.When I bought it I planned to put a generator on it.The previous owner said he had planned to do it but never needed to.If I was doing any serious sandblasting I could run it 8 hours just on the battery and it would still start the next morning.It would not however restart at noon on the second day.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Quote:

While not running, my son's car came to sealed beams and a stock generator.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
rprice

I'll have to go along with Brent. I really don't see any need for an alternator in my Model A. My generator seems to be doing its job very well. If someone is planning to add extra electrical devices to his car, he may indeed need an alternator.
Rog
rprice is offline   Reply With Quote