Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #41
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Buying from Mac's

I needed two door windows for my 30 Briggs T.S., a front and rear. The old front door window had a large chip out of it but there was still enough glass to make the rear window out of it. I took it to Doylestown Glass and they cut it down to fit the rear door (22" IIRC) and sanded it, $5.00!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalho View Post
Yes I did, AND looked into it. Mac's price for the glass and shipping was cheaper than any glass comp in town without instalation. I dont want those butchers touchin my ride anyway, lol.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
bogiediver

Well - it's been longer than the two weeks Mac's said the item back ordered would be delayed...

A call to them today, Mac's is not able to give any estimate of the items availability - "good product, but our vendor is not reliable regarding ship dates..."

So I had them ship the rest of the order, leaving that item on back order. Shipping charge will end up being more for the single item - pretty much wiping out the sale price...

Not a great first experience - and I don't even have the parts yet to know how they are...

Oh, well - it is what it is...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiediver View Post
Well - it's been longer than the two weeks Mac's said the item back ordered would be delayed...

A call to them today, Mac's is not able to give any estimate of the items availability - "good product, but our vendor is not reliable regarding ship dates..."

So I had them ship the rest of the order, leaving that item on back order. Shipping charge will end up being more for the single item - pretty much wiping out the sale price...

Not a great first experience - and I don't even have the parts yet to know how they are...

Oh, well - it is what it is...
I think you will find this "problem" with a lot of the vendors, some worse than others. Think the important thing is that they let you know where you stand so you can decide what to do from where your at. I have found this often and you can understand their position now days not having maximum inventory. Not trying to defend or condemn vendors but that is the way it is in current economic conditions.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #44
Shadetree

I like Mac's. I bought a lot of parts when I was getting my `35 roadworthy. Their staff was very friendly and helpful. I remember buying a temperature gauge. It was foriegn made and very fragile, not at all like the original. It was a poor fit and I broke it trying to install it. When I sent it back I thought they would never replace it but I would try. They sent me a new unit at no charge and they are certainly not cheap. I was impressed...

Shadetree
Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #45
Banky

Their supposed sale prices are always canceled out by their crazy shipping prices. Great sales tactic though. And their customer service is non-exsistant.

I buy everything for Snyders now. Great company, people, prices and service.
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #46
mkmskm

I do a lot of ordering from Brattons, Snyders and MACs. I have newer Ford products like a '57 Merc which is where MACs comes in handy, but here is the good/bad I have found:

Good - They are very honest on back order items. There are several parts when I have tried to order from others that they will say not in stock but will order, but MACs will be honest and say if they truly can't get an item to a vendor issue. They also carry a large stock of items that some others don't, and you can find kits in bundles to save you money.

Bad - They aren't the fastest on the block from the time of order to shipping in comparison to Brattons or Snyders.
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #47
bogiediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
I think you will find this "problem" with a lot of the vendors, some worse than others. Think the important thing is that they let you know where you stand so you can decide what to do from where your at. I have found this often and you can understand their position now days not having maximum inventory. Not trying to defend or condemn vendors but that is the way it is in current economic conditions.
Except for the first email saying it was back ordered - they gave me no updates (even though I had specifically asked to be updated) unless I contacted them and then also had to follow up on the contact.

I guess I would have preferred they told me about the unreliability of their vendor up front, rather than tell me 1 to 2 week delay - I would have had the rest of the order shipped sooner...

I'd rather be told it will be delayed 4 weeks, and then have it sent in 2 - instead of being told it'll be 2 and it takes 4... under-promise and over-deliver is always preferable...

Just disappointing...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #48
MALAK

The only problem I've had with Macs is they wouldn't price match with a competitor (Snyder's). I compared prices on an order and the difference was going to be over $20 incl. shipping. So I bought from Snyder's. Snyder's has been great to deal with. Once when converting a starter to 12V I bought the rebuild kit from Snyder's, I had already bought the field coils from Macs a couples years earlier. The kit was supposed to come with 2 short and 2 long pigtail brushes but only came with short ones. This would have been okay for a 6v rebuild but for a 12v you need at least 1 long pigtail brush. A call to Snyder's and the long pigtail brush was over-nighted to me. Also, once I ordered 6' of 1/2" cloth loom and they sent 3/4", they over-nighted me the 1/2" and I got to keep the 3/4" as well.
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #49
MurphyJ

I switched over to Snyder's on my last 3 orders and can't believe the great quality of their tech service, lower shipping costs and no question return policy. Snyder's delivery to the Northwest beats Mac's by almost a week too.
MurphyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #50
cabrioletgalaxie

If I lived in Washington it would be a no brainer to use Bert's. They also have great original parts. I've compared some small parts from Mac's and found them to be not even close to what the originals looked like so be cautious if you want authenticity.
Bert's also does replated original bumpers, shifters, brake handles and resilved head light reflectors. Even living across the country in Maine I like Bert's original parts and replated parts.
Just my 2 cents.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #51
bogiediver

A final follow up to my first experience with Mac's...

After I authorized shipping everything else on the order but the back ordered item Tuesday afternoon - the shipment went out the next day (Wed) and UPS says I'll have it tomorrow (Fri).

AND the outrageous shipping estimate they used during the order process of nearly $54 came in at actual of less than $17.

FWIW
Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #52
ford31

is Mikes still in business? when I was restoring a 29 pickup bought a lot from Mikes Brattons Macs and Snyders,all great I like Snyders very well I can order and 2 days it is here I have never sent anything back
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #53
30modelA

the only issue i had with macs is there in new york and my bank rejected my payment because of all the fraud there but they called me and had it released, not really their fault i dont guess. ive found that shipping cost is kinda expensive no matter who i use.
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #54
hop up

I have bought from all of them at one time or another and all have the plus and minus. I just want to know who are their suppliers are and how to get ahold of them.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #55
ronn

Macs-better selection, pricing and returns are no problem.

Sent them a set of scrap seat covers that they didn't have in their arsenal for a 39 ford panel-
recd. a brand new set for free, for using the patterns. Believe me, my scraps had no patterns left....
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #56
[email protected]

Pretty much rebuilt the '38 pickup with Mac parts. Only problem we had was we weren't able to use a single piece of glass we got from them. Beyond that they were great to work with.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #57
buyitsmart

I bought the Weber carb and intake from Mike's-A-Fordable out of Ga. Great service. No problems.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #58
Fred K-OR

This thread is kind of like asking why did you marry you wife!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #59
TD

I've used Mac's since "96" and as yet have not had a bad experience. Plus or minus a day when I was dancing on one foot waiting for the parts to arrive really does not play in as a good/bad factor. Their prices and large volume of parts is great. I think the farther you live from western New York the more you'll pay for shipping and rightly so.
Over all rating: A
TD is offline   Reply With Quote